Mothering Forum banner

My triplets are here

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Maryan 
#1 ·
My girls were born last Tues at 32.6 after my water broke in the middle of the night. It was really quite amazing how it all worked out. I'm going to c&p from a local group I belong to since I'm almost done pumping. I fully expected the best case scenario to be a vag birth of A followed by a csection - but this dr had his coffee that morning and was all about a breech birth. I still can't believe it happened!

Our girls were a week ago today and their birth has been very much the subject of discussion at Met hospital and probably a few other places. My water broke in the middle of the night getting me a quick ride off of my unit over to the high risk side. A well meaning dr asked me what my plans were, I'm sure expecting to be performing a c-section shortly after. I wanted to at least birth Baby A (Audrey) vaginally since she was head down. Baby B had turned breech just a few days before and C was head down as well. This of course led to much discussion because nobody does this and they weren't really happy with me. But I didn't feel like we were in an emergency situation and wanted to proceed in a way that would be safe for the babies and still be prepared if it changed to an emergency situation. Fortunately these babies took just slightly longer to be born than my last two and didn't come until after change of shift. Dr Polsky came on and looked at the situation and actually came into my room full of positivity. He felt that given my history and his experience, I was a good person to try birthing vaginally. I was 3cm when I got there at 2AM and 10cm when I went into the operating room somewhere close to 10:30. Audrey (4lb 2oz) was born first and put on top of me just like with any other birth. Sophia (4lb 2oz) was next born breech and Nina (3lb 5oz) as well both 3 min apart. For how dramatic I expected things to be it was relatively calm and we got to look at each baby for maybe a minute before they took her away. We found out later that triplets have not been born vaginally in the hospital for at least 25 yrs if ever. So if Dr Polsky felt proud of himself, he should! This birth may not have been drug free in a pool in my living room but was certainly amazing!! I felt safe being prepped for a csection already that if anything changed my babies would be born quickly and safely. I really wanted my babies to have all the health benefits of being born vaginally and they are doing really well. Audrey needed no breathing assistance, Sophia was on CPAP for just a few hours and Nina pulled the CPAP out the following morning. I'm sure we are facing some ups & downs since they are still preemies at not quite 33weeks, but overall things are good.

See less See more
#7 ·
that's fantastic! congratulations on the arrival of your triplets! it's wonderful that you stood up for your babies and got them a safe vaginal birth! i hope they're out of the nicu and home with their family in no time.

#10 ·
congratulations!!

your story brought a tear to my eye. i recently delivered mono/mono twins at 32w5d - so it was amazing to read such an amazing birth experience. i'm sure you had so many emotions pending delivery - what a wonderful way to bring your babies into the world! it's awesome!! you're awesome!! wishing you peace and strength through the upcoming weeks until you can bring your sweet beauties home with you!

send you and your miracles lots of love and happiness!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.