Mothering Forum banner

Anyone else FFing their twins/multiples?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  newmommy7-08 
#1 ·
I know this is MDC...and I know I may get nailed to the cross for making the statement that I am Formula Feeding my twins...and by 100% choice at that.

But I was wondering if anyone else here is FFing their multiples? If so what tips and/or tricks do you use? What kind of formula are you using? Have you been supported in formula feeding them?

#2 ·
My twins are now 5 but they were exclusively FF from roughly six weeks to one year. I started out using Similac Advance With Iron and Playtex Vent Aire bottles. My lifesaver was a bottle drying rack and a dishwasher basket for the nipples and little vent disks. I didn't use a bottle warmer at all, I just used room temp tap water and made bottles one by one (or two by two if they were both hungry at the same time). For the middle of the night feedings I kept a formula container and a prefilled bottle on the bathroom counter. I shook out the formula into the bottle then shook to mix. For outings I used the same formula container and brought either prefilled bottles or a bottle of water for mixing. I later used the same container for cheerios and other finger foods on the go.

Some people swear by mixing up a whole pitcher of formula in the morning and keeping it in the fridge. The one by one method worked better for me and I didn't have to fuss with warming a bottle and making sure it wasn't too hot. When my babies were about 8 months old I switched to half Kirkland Signature (Costco brand) formula and half Similac, then gradually got them on straight Kirkland Signature. We never had any tummy issues related to formula or bottles.

I never did bottle propping, somehow I managed to feed them both at the same time by propping them in the Boppy in my lap. I preferred to hold them in the cradle position for feeds, but if they were both hungry at the same time that wasn't possible and the Boppy worked well.

I hope that helps!

ETA: As far as being supported in formula feeding, it wasn't really an issue for me. Nobody has ever said anything negative to me about it, if someone DID ever say something to me I'd probably let them know that how I feed my children is none of their damn business.

#3 ·
ETA: As far as being supported in formula feeding, it wasn't really an issue for me. Nobody has ever said anything negative to me about it, if someone DID ever say something to me I'd probably let them know that how I feed my children is none of their damn business.
Amen to that. I'm about done with the BFing. Seriously. Healthier or not, if it ain't working, it ain't working. I can't force my milk to come in. I actually think my current pregnancy is screwing with my biorhythms and I can't produce as much milk. I'm going to give it another week and then it will be 100% Carnation Alsoy. No shame.

#4 ·
We FF and BF. Both of mine had tongue tie (the type that was not able to be fixed with a simple clip). We used Earth's Best and that worked pretty well for us. I used to put them both in front of me side by side and feed them with bottles that way when they were very small. Eventually, they could hold their own bottles and it got easier. But, I have to say, FF was easier than BF for us. Having someone else help with the feeding was like heaven! I had a lot of guilt issues about it in the beginning, but I have gotten over it. We never had any negative comments, but sometimes I felt more weird about bottle feeding in public than I would have nursing. Bottles were foreign to me, having EBF two kids before. I think people are more harsh about FF on the internet than in real life. But you have to do what is right for you and your babies and forget everything else.

#5 ·
I FF my 4 month olds, I bottle prop occasionally when I have to, I mix up the bottles as I go, now. They are only drinking 4 8 oz bottles a day, they dont wake at night so nightfeeding is over. They are also eating cereal/mixed fruit for lunch and supper also per dr. I suggest doing whatever works for YOU and dont worry about what people say.

#6 ·
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I'm not the only one feeding my kids solids before 6 months! I have been feeling guilty, not really sure why, about giving them solids. But I feel like they're ready. At least one is. And today I was able to give her 3 tsps which is 2 more than I fed her yesterday. Seriously, my milk is drying up.

Saw my OB today and he feels like I'm not absorbing enough iron and ordered me on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. WHAT?! I'm only 8 weeks. But it gives me a chance to figure out if we'll BF or FF from here on out.

My twins STTN 11-6, with no middle of the night feeding. Occassionally they'll wake up hungry but not often. I'm back to supplementing my milk with formula for the night feeding only because I'm not giving up much milk.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I'm not the only one feeding my kids solids before 6 months! I have been feeling guilty, not really sure why, about giving them solids. But I feel like they're ready. At least one is. And today I was able to give her 3 tsps which is 2 more than I fed her yesterday. Seriously, my milk is drying up.

Saw my OB today and he feels like I'm not absorbing enough iron and ordered me on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. WHAT?! I'm only 8 weeks. But it gives me a chance to figure out if we'll BF or FF from here on out.

My twins STTN 11-6, with no middle of the night feeding. Occassionally they'll wake up hungry but not often. I'm back to supplementing my milk with formula for the night feeding only because I'm not giving up much milk.
Holy cow, I just noticed your signature! Congratulations!!! I've always said if I were to have more children I'd want another set of twins.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitter_patter View Post

Holy cow, I just noticed your signature! Congratulations!!! I've always said if I were to have more children I'd want another set of twins.
I don't know. It's not as glamorous as it sounds. Lol.

I'm so tired. I feel very non productive and I'm constantly hungry but tired of eating. Can you imagine? Tired of eating? I don't have a taste for anything. I already can't sleep on my stomach and sex? Forget about it. I don't want it! Lmao.

#9 ·
I had to stop nursing during my twin pregnancy due to my low Iron level and general fatigue. My DD was 18 month at the time and really had slowed down on her own...I just had to give her that little bit of a push to give it up. I felt soooooo much better after I stopped nursing...I was able to build my Iron back up during the rest of my pregnancy and now it is at a really healthy level. Having back to back pregnancies is NOT easy...This is the first time since September 2007 that I have not been pregnant or nursing...I am happy to have my body back...not for vanity reasons or anything but I feel like I can finally focus on getting myself healthy..I have some major health issues that need to be worked on...that is why no more kiddos for us.

Don't feel bad at all if you decide to stop nursing and just go to FFing...You body is stressed out at it is just being pregnant with another set of twins so soon.

I have to say it is sooooo nice to get support here...that isn't judgemental or preachy...just understanding of how really hard it is to parent twins....No one who has never been here could ever know what it is like so I guess it is easy for those people to judge.

#10 ·
I had to ff my little girl. I noticed from the get go that her suck was very delicate (I can't think of a better way to describe it). My little boy was fine and is still nursing. Poor little Katie was diagnosed with ftt and we tried everything to get her to nurse better. She never did.

I would sit on the couch and nurse my little boy and set a pillow next to me and put her head on it with her bum in the crook of the couch and feed her that way. It worked just fine for us!

#11 ·
I FF my 11 month olds and have since they were born... tho we did some nursing until around 4 months. For us, I mix 1/2 - all of the formula necessary for the next day the night before, make the bottles and put them in the fridge. I know it's bad to microwave them but well... we do it anyway. The girls like warm milk and I don't have time to make each bottle as I go w/ them and their brother. DS btw liked his milk ice cold so his we'd just pull out of the fridge and pop it in his mouth. :) We use parents choice w/ added rice starch since they both have acid reflux. It's only $16/can which is so much better than the nearly $26 the Enfamil AR is. They actually tolerate it much better than the Enfamil as well. The girls are currently drinking a 6oz bottle in the morning, 4oz after lunch, an 8 oz around 4-5:00 and another 8oz at bedtime (between 8 and 9). They JUST got to 8 oz. We started at 3 oz bottles, then went to 4, 5, stayed at 6 for EVER and just jumped to 8. (DS only ever went as high as a 6 oz bottle)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.