Older child acting out ... reaction to babies coming? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 3 year old daughter and I am expecting twin girls in Sept.  For the last 2 weeks she has been much more needy and not wanting to be at preschool.  She was loving preschool for a few weeks and then started crying for me throughout the day.  I am sure it has a lot to do with the babies coming soon but I am at a loss as to what to do.  Anyone else experience this?  Have any advice on what to do? 

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 AM

My triplets have been home for almost 6 weeks and my 3.5 yr old has been a nightmare! Tons of tantrums - screaming for an hour etc. My only consolation is that her older sister was brutal at 3 and she didn't have any new sisters to blame it on. Hopefully it passes soon!

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#3 of 4 Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 PM

Well, I'm forum crashing and do NOT have multiples.  But my oldest was 3 1/2 when his younger brother was born and, quite frankly, was wretched (love, adored, but wretched) from the moment I came home on maternity leave (babe was born 2 weeks later) and it lasted until he was about 4.  I know the stress of a sibling added to the situation, but I honestly think it's just the age.  Many kids hit this state of disequilibrium and EVERYTHING goes up in the air for a while.

We go to a playgroup/parenting class and the teacher, who is the most wonderful, caring, respectful, child-centered educator I've met, says that she considers 3 1/2 THE most difficult age to parent.  She has three grown boys, and says she would do teenage years all over, but NOT 3. 

Hang in there!  It WILL get better. And if it helps, my little man was wretched with US, but is the most loving big brother you could ask for. 

#4 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies for letting me know that I am not alone:)  I am trying really hard to be more patient but it doesn't always work out that way with all these raging hormones!!

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page