childbirth classes? doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As I am nearing 30 wks I realized that I haven't even thought about taking a childbirth class.  I took one offered by the birthing center with my last pregnancy which was ehh useful and originally planned on taking their required refresher - but now that I risked out of the birth center I'm not sure what to do.  I really have no interest in the one offered by the hospital and I don't really want to shell out a huge amt of money or time for an independent class when I don't know how much it will be pertain to my situation.  Is there any use for a class if I'm having twins?

That brings up the additional issue of a doula - based on my previous delivery (did not have a doula, ended up on pit and stuck on monitors so I couldn't rely on my planned coping mechs) I was thinking a doula would be very helpful as I will again be on monitors and tethered to a hospital bed.  Do you think it is important for me to find a doula with experience with twin deliveries?  Is it important to find a doula who has provided services at the hospital I am delivering at?

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM

I wound up on bed rest, so I didn't get to take any classes. But my doula was wonderful. It was great having her there, and it was really good to have someone with me when my husband went with the girls to the NICU.

My hospital required me to deliver in the operating room. When we arrived, there was a kerfuffle and they didn't want to let my doula into the operating room. So check on that. If making it work means getting a doula who has worked at the hospital, that's important. I felt that the things that were different with twins were less important than having a good connection. And my doula read up and talked to people to get more experience.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I found a doula I like and while she doesn't have any twin experience she has been at quite a number of births at the hospital I am delivering at - she seems to know some tricks to get staff there more willing to give me the birth I want.

I don't think I will do any birth classes this time though I did order the hypnobabies delivering twins naturally cd.  I don't think I will purchase the full hypnobabies package (unless I can find it real cheap used).

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm a doula myself, became one after my second birth (I've had doulas for all of my births). I would say that the most important thing is your rapport with your doula! Don't worry about whether she has twin experience or has worked with your hospital before. Those things are negotiable, your comfort level with her is not. Also, knowing myself and many other doulas, anything that she doesn't have experience with (ie multiples), she'll research the heck out of anyway. :)

me(31)dh(38) dsd(18) ds1(5) ds2(3) GBG triplets (turned 1 in Jan '12!)

Hypnobabies Instructor and Birth Doula, PM me with questions!

User Tag List