Diet and STTN - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had known dairy issues since childhood, and I also have IBS.  Last week I finally decided to let go of ice cream and all the rest and treat my body nicely.  I'd also read that dairy intolerance can go hand in hand with gluten intolerance.  So I made a spontaneous decision to go GF/CF.  I am amazed, not even a week later, at the results.  My nasal passages and sinuses used to be all clogged up, but I'd lived with it so long I didn't notice.  I can breathe now!!  My ears, I'd known were clogged up because I could get them to clear up with chiro, but they didn't stay that way for long.  Now they are clear and draining.  I think I have actually progressed to a dairy allergy, based on trying a GF/lactose free coffee creamer that still had sodium caseinate in it and suffering an almost immediate reaction.

But, I'm seeing results with the twins, too.  They are spitting up much more infrequently, and much less amounts when it does happen.  They've gone from spitting up almost after every feed to about once a day, each.  Best of all, last night they both slept from 10:30PM to just after 4AM!  Course, they both woke at the exact same time and that's not fun, but heck I'll take it!  These girls were still waking every hour or so.  Lily would STTN occasionally, but Lucy never has and didn't even appear to be getting anywhere near that stage.  Hope it continues!  I'm really shocked and upset with myself that I haven't made these changes long ago.  I hope none of you are suffering with these food issues like I have been, but I want to encourage anyone who might be to give an elimination diet a chance and see if it makes a difference.  I actually feel like I am eating so much healthier, although I haven't changed my diet too much.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#2 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Wow! That is awesome. Congratulations on finding something that makes such a difference. And having the will power to keep it up.

#3 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM

YAY for you!  That sounds like a great change for you & your babies.  

I recently went GF/DF, too, as well as nightshade free, though I've been backpedaling on the dairy (oh ice cream and butter!).  I had been feeling awful, irritable, not sleeping well & getting migraines way too frequently, and the dietary changes combined with some herbal sups & vitamins have made a world of difference.  i feel like the 'old me'.   Even one of my three year olds said to me just yesterday, "Mommy, you don't get headaches anymore."   love.gif

A friend recently recommended the book 'Eat Right for your Blood Type', and had I read & listened to that years ago, I probably would have avoided all of the ill health.  Apparently gluten is toxic for O blood types.  I can attest to that!

Take care and I hope your health stays on the up side!  

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#4 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post
Apparently gluten is toxic for O blood types.  I can attest to that!

Take care and I hope your health stays on the up side!  

That is great that you are avoiding headaches!  Ice cream is terribly hard to give up, though, isn't it?  But it's not worth it to me anymore.  

That is so interesting that gluten is bad for O.  My mom is an O, but I am an A.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page