When did you start solids? Chronological or gestational age? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When did you start solids?
Chronological age 0 0%
Gestational age 1 14.29%
When they seemed ready! 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just want to point out we are going to the doctor on Wednesday and I will ask him if the girls are ready but I am curious when you all started solids? Did you go by their chronological age or the gestational age? Lately my girls are acting their chronological age which is 5 1/2 months. They are doing baby push-ups, rolling around, army crawling, sitting in chairs (but not on their own on the ground yet) and SO much kicking!! They also seem to be unsatisfied with momma milk ie. they are hungry often about every hour and a half to two hours and espeacially at night! I know most of our NICU teams and doctors tell us to go by their gestational age but do my girls sounds like 3 month olds to you? :) 

So I guess all this to ask, when did you start soilds and which food did you pick as a first?

Thanks!

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM

3 months old is a common age for a growth spurt.  They want to nurse that often to increase your milk supply, and then will spread their feedings out again in a few days/week.  I personally prefer to hold off on solids until my kids can mostly feed themselves mushy finger foods, and have teeth with which to chew.  For my kids, none of them have had teeth before 8 months.  We've spoon fed the twins (7 mo) a little bit, because WIC gave us the checks and Daddy decided to try.  But it is infrequent, not a regular meal of the day.  

Congratulations on your twins, and they sound very healthy! 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM

We started solids when they were 6 months old (gest & chron).  First was avocado.  They weren't ready - one gagged and the other had resulting bowl issues.  So we offered a solid about once a week until they were 8 months old, which is when they could feed themselves and had no gagging or bowl issues.  My kids were never open-mouth-for-the-spoon kids.  They really weren't into the whole feeding thing, so we didn't push it till they could feed themselves.  That also makes it super easy for mom - none of the crazy spoon feeding & messy clean up.  The extended family was a bit confused, but we knew our kids best.  Breast milk is best for a long time, so don't worry!   

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM

mine are just getting serious about food now at 10m (9 adjusted) been having little bits for about 2 months but really just once a week or less. figure nothing could be as nutrient dense and BM so i was not in a rush to add more stuff to get done each day. they seem happy and taking to it naturally now, so I'm glad i waited. my boy still gags a tiny bit, he has always been  bit behind my girl.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Gestational age. I didn't give any finger food until they were about 9-10 mos (7-8 gest), but even then they just teethed on it and played with it until they were over a year old. I did BLW, so didn't even bother with purees. Really, how can strained peas have more nutrition than mama milk?

It's not that your milk isn't enough. It's that they love your milk so much they want more of it! Nurse away!

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I agree that breastmilk is best but we are doing donated milk because I cannot lactate so moving to solids would be super helpful. I am still planning to do mostly breastmilk until age 1 and as needed until age 2.

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

Thanks ladies! I agree that breastmilk is best but we are doing donated milk because I cannot lactate so moving to solids would be super helpful. I am still planning to do mostly breastmilk until age 1 and as needed until age 2.

You are a great mama for going the extra step to seek out donated milk for your babies!  Good for you! winky.gif

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It is something I REALLY believe in :) The doctor said that my intuition was right and to go ahead and start trying solids this week! I am super excited to try some yams and squash. I am sure it will be messy so naked babies at my table tonight :)

User Tag List