Giving birth to twins in the hospital-advice if you've been there please!! - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
mltjm's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm due with twins (di-di) in 9 weeks, giving birth in the hospital, and I have a bunch of questions!! Please help me out if you have any info.


#1. Induction: Did you or didn't you do it? How far along were you? Why or why not?  What method? I'm on the fence about this one, leaning towards no induction, but I don't know enough about it to make an informed decision. 


#2. Non-medicated issues: I am not planning on having an epidural but suspect they will want me to have one in case I need a C. Did you have a hep-lock? What did you do? 


#3. If the babies were preemies, were you still able to refuse the eye stuff, the vitamin K, and the HepB vax? 


#4. What's the deal with Strep B? With my first I was positive for it, I didn't really know better, so I had the IV antibiotics. Are the babies at higher risk for getting it if they are smaller/frailer (hopefully mine won't be!!)?? Can someone explain more to me about it.


Thanks a ton!

mltjm is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Amanda Leigh's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't really answer 1,2 and 4 as I didn't have GBS and I had lots of problems with pre-term labor and already had IV's so I can't really help with 1 and 2. However, my boys were preemies and we refused the eye ointment and hep B vaccine. We chose to do the vit K as some preemies have a higher risk of intra-cranial bleed, but if we had wanted to refuse we could have. I think it was helpful to have all of this written in a birth plan so that it was very clear to the staff. Good luck!

Mom to Parker and Isaac 6/23/11  familybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gif nocirc.gif


Amanda Leigh is offline  
#3 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 PM
rinap's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#1 We induced, but that was because the twins shared a placenta.


#2 After much negotiation, I had an epidural placed at the very last minute. They put through the test dose, but no painkillers. I think I got an IV at that point, but I was half an hour into pushing, so it wasn't much in the way. It made the hospital folks feel better (in case of c-section).


#3 Ours were preemies (just barely at 36wks2days), and we refused the eye ointment, the hep b, and the vitamin K. (we did the vitamin K orally (as is in the UK protocol) on our own, and later got the hep b vaccine, but that was not in the hospital)


The big thing on all of these is to talk talk talk to your doctor and the folks at the hospital. Write these things down in a birth plan. If they say no, try to talk to them about why. Often there is some wiggle room. (my doctor was much happier to delay induction and to try for a vaginal birth when I showed that I was willing to listen to him and was willing to have a c-section if it was necessary, I just really wanted to try to make it not be necessary) But talking and negotiating help a lot.

rinap is offline  
#4 of 12 Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
~adorkable~'s Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State Of Bliss
Posts: 4,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will write more about the choices I made and why, but wanted to share a book that was given to me when pregnant that really helped me understand what choices needed to be made and ways to think about each of them.  One of the most helpful things I read ever,

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

~adorkable~ is offline  
#5 of 12 Old 11-28-2011, 02:32 PM
queenofchaos's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hmmm, my babies shared a placenta, but an induction wasn't warranted.  but then again, the shared placenta wasn't 100% confirmed until after the birth.  so I suppose that may have been why.  HOWEVER, I was not induced, planned to have an epi in place in case we needed to c-section (one of the babies was breech), but that didn't happen as the birth proceeded so quickly that they were still working on getting an IV in my arm when I was pushing the 1st baby out.  Babies were not premature, so I can't answer that one either.

ok, so that leaves the GBS concern.  there is some really good info on it here .  I could go into all the ins and outs and what the main concerns are, but I would write a lot.  1st get some info, and then you will have  to decide, do I want to know if I am GBS+?  If not, don't get the test and don't get the abx.  If so, get the test sometime in your last month and then decide if you want abx or not at that point (this is where your research will come in handy).  Wish I had a cut and dry answer for this, but here are some of the main points considering GBS and treatment:  What are the actual risks of transmission, and the actual rates of baby(ies) developing an infection IF they contract GBS (and how many that get infected actually suffer long term issues or die?)  If I am GBS+, and I want to get ABX, how effective are they?  Are there any side effects or potential problems with abx treatment?  Do they actually prevent GBS infections in babies like they are supposed to?  AND then, if you do test + and want abx, how can you mitigate any possible side effects.  You also may want to know, how can I prevent from getting a + result on a GBS test in the first place?  There is a lot to know about this topic and it is important to know.  I wish I could go into all the details, but it isn't hard to find answers to the things I listed above.

queenofchaos is offline  
#6 of 12 Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
mltjm's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Adorkable, thanks, I am looking forward to reading the book!


queenofchaos- those guiding questions were extremely helpful!! Thank you!

mltjm is offline  
#7 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
SunshineH's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1. Induction - I went in at 38 weeks for one.  Turns out I was already dialated to a 7, so they broke baby A's water and that was it - away we went.  In retrospect, I wonder how fast everything would have gone, and when.  That day?  2 days later?  My previous 2 singletons were fast, unmedicated labors, and part of me felt out of control during them despite my awesome midwives in the hospital.  I've since read a lot more, and now I look back and wonder.


2.  I did choose to have an epi, partially because of my nervousness.  Baby B was transverse but did turn head down - but posterior and kind of kept getting her chin stuck.  She was vacuum assisted 40 minutes after Baby A.


No help with 3 and 4, but I see some other good advice above.

Sunshine, wife and mom of 6...with b/g twins in '09
SunshineH is offline  
#8 of 12 Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Strong Mama's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: in love with my hubby
Posts: 2,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I hope you get good advice! I went into labor on my own at 37 weeks and had to have a C so i had the epidural. I have had two natural births before the twins birth and OMG epidurals ROCK.LOL I was 4 when I got the epi and they did the section so I was just starting to feel a LITTLE bit of crampy labor pain so lucky for me, didnt have to deal with the pain this time. Had to have the csection because B was breech and 8 pounds, 4 oz and they couldnt turn her., Loved my birth, and you will too, regardless of how it goes.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Strong Mama is offline  
#9 of 12 Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 PM
speedfunk's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#1.  Baby A's water broke at 7:30 am and they gave me until around noon for contractions to come on their own.  Then they started pitocin.


#2.  Fortunately I found an OB at our hospital that was comfortable delivering a breech baby B (which is how she was delivered), but strongly suggested an epidural in case I couldn't tolerate the breech delivery or needed a quick c-section.  I had the epidural line put in place early on but didn't have a dose until right before I went into the delivery (operating) room.


I had mono/di twins born at 35w6d.  I was bummed about the likely epidural and how it was really pushed at the hospital.  I was hoping to sneak by without it.  I was happy to have it in place early on because it would have really sucked if they did it when I was 9+cm. 


I had a hard time being "high risk" because of the twins.  It wasn't the pregnancy I'd imagined, especially compared to my first, but in the end everyone was very healthy and it went as well as it could have.  Good luck!

speedfunk is offline  
#10 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
nd_deadhead's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

At 39 weeks I hadn't started to dilate yet, but there was no talk of induction. My bood pressure went through the roof all of a sudden (DH took my BP every day, and it was fine in the morning; sky-high at an 11 am appointment). I had HELLP syndrome, and a C-section under general anesthesia that afternoon.


I delivered two wonderful, healthy baby boys - one weighed 7-16, the other 8-0.


I can't help you with your other questions, but I can tell you that it is possible to go to term with twins. I was really uncomfortable for the last few weeks, but it was well worth it!


Oh, and my "babies" are 17 years old now!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

nd_deadhead is offline  
#11 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
newmommy7-08's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I delivered didi twins via c-section at 39w3d. We had a breech baby A, so the c-section was warranted. But if she'd been positioned properly they would have allowed me to go as late as 42 weeks before any kind of induction as long as babies were in good shape.


My hospital did require an epidural but would wait if you were in labor as long as possible, but did prefer to get it done by 6cm... mostly because they didn't want to be trying to place it during transition. Having had a natural birth I wouldn't have wanted them messing w/ me during transition either! :) and yes, they would have allowed a heplock. my midwives did tell me however that they would be fine w/ me calling for the epidural just before pushing, but once again cautioned me about having to deal w/ an epidural placing at that time. 


We were allowed to refuse anything we wanted to. as far as question 3. Just like we were w/ our singleton. I don't know if that's because my girls were fullterm or not though.


I can't say anything about Strep B since I've always been -.


The bottom line with getting the experience you want is you need a provider that stands by you and agrees with you. You need a provider that will be there with you.


When I was in labor w/ my son the overseeing OB wanted me to have an epi placed because I'm overweight and he didn't think I could labor naturally. (Mind you this was a man who'd never met or examined me... he only looked at my chart.) My midwife literally went toe to toe with him at the nurses station (my doula witnessed this) and told him absolutely not. that she wasn't going into my room to tell me that my body couldn't do what she knew it could do. BTW I did have my perfectly natural no pit or anything else needed birth. She was right and I will be forever grateful that she was the one with me that day.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
newmommy7-08 is offline  
#12 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
deborahbgkelly's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Newmommy- That is ridiculous that the OB said just because you were overweight he didn't think you could do it naturally. I'm so lucky my OB is all for vaginal birth whenever possible. This is why I will insist on meeting his backup prior to birth.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
deborahbgkelly is offline  

Parenting Multiples

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 8,505

13 members and 8,492 guests
anacrish , babydoulajo , Deborah , katelove , manyhatsmom , moominmamma , nancy Faye , Ortizmanuella , scaramouche131 , sciencemum , SPrada , Tara 1st Timer , thefragile7393
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.