VBAC after twins? (low vertical incision) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone had a c section with their twins and then a successful VBAC?  The girls were breech bottom baby and transverse top baby so I had no choice about the c section. I can't find too much info about successful VBACs or risks after a low vertical incision. Would love to hear some happy stories! 

Mama to S&H, twin girls born 4/09

Baby 3 due 2/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I am not certain about my incision. I know I was able to labor with a singleton after my c-section birth with twins. My VBAC stalled out after 36 hours. There's a long story here, but  I ended up with another section for my daughter's birth.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 5 Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have your birth story posted anywhere?  I'd be interested to read it...

Mama to S&H, twin girls born 4/09

Baby 3 due 2/12

#4 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My twins were verticle as well, so I landed up with a c-section because they wanted to play with each other, not go head down.

My daughter was a successful VBAC. The labour was horrible, I didn't actually know I was in labour because it was the first time I had had contractions. I am the biggest wimp when it comes to pain, so it got uncomfortable really quickly. I had bloody show at about 11 pm on Friday night. The contractions started on and off on Saturday night and by 3 am they were waking me up every hour. Because of my c-section scar my OB told me to go to the hospital when they got to about 7 minutes apart. I sent my boys to school, took a long shower, then a bath, cooked supper, organized a babysitter and when I couldn't wait anymore, my mom drove me to the hospital at about 6 pm.

I was put on a monitor for a bit and then I begged for an epi. The birth was going really slowly and I got a TENS machine to help me help things along. At about 1 am (Monday morning) I asked for another c-section because the pain was so intense and the TENS machine wasn't working anymore (I told you I was a woose!!). One of the doctors on call was determined for me to VBAC, so she came to check me and after all that I was 1.5 cm. They couldn't give me pitocin (yay!) because of my scar I was at risk for a uterine rupture, so I was spared that at least, but because I was progressing they called in an anesthesiologist and at about 3 am I finally got my epi. I went from 1.5 to 3 cm in about half an hour.

At about 10 am they stripped me and accidentally broke my water and she was born at about 12:30 or so after half an hour of pushing and the midwife was so good that I didn't even tear! The labour was excruciating, but the birth was awesome!

I hope that helps.

Shuli

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#5 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM

I had the same thing -- presenting twin was transverse so I had a C-section.  I had a beautiful VBAC with my singleton, 2 years, 9 months later.  It was a very quick birth.  I went in to labor and instantly my contractions were a minute long, 3 minutes apart.  My Mom came and took my twins and I went in to the hospital.  I think I got there around 2.  I was barely dilated when we arrived, but the nurse found some scar tissue on my cervix and massaged it.  It was extremely intense.  I'd planned on using Hypnobabies, but everything was so quick I never found my groove with it.  My nurse was amazing & she and my husband helped me through labor.  Aside from the external monitor, I had no interventions or medications.  I was ready to push at  5 and my 10 lb baby was born at 7:15.  Holding your baby the instant he's born is an unparalleled experience.  

Anyway, I don't recall any reason the prior birth being a twin pregnancy made a VBAC any different.  I was told I was a good candidate for VBAC because the reason for the C-section was because the babies were breech, not because of anything having to do with me, for lack of a better way to put it.  My advice is to read up all you can about VBAC and find a supportive provider.  I interviewed 7 or so OBs and midwives before choosing my OB.  The VBAC forum here was helpful.  I've heard people also find ICAN helpful, but I haven't attended one of their meetings myself.  I asked a lot of questions and made my wishes well known.  Fight for your VBAC -- it's worth it!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page