Diet or BFing mommies of twins. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My twin girls are 9 months old and I am really concerned about their growth. I mean they are doing all their milestones but they are tiny babies. They are pretty small for their age. They started on solids at 6 months and ate well . But they have stopped eatin now and they only depend on moms milk.

I have tried everything i know to make my milk healthy. Everything that we indians do here. I would like to know what diet you all BFing mom of twins follow. I do not give them any formula. I have even got these super mom pills from beeyoutiful and having that. Other than that I have 3 to 4 glasses of milk a day and veggies and stuffs. I really dont know what else to do to make sure my babies have good healthy milk ??

Also any suggestions on what I can give my babies? I am not a new mommy. The twins are my 3rd or 4th kids. But since its twins I feel like i have to learn all over again....

Thanks.

tahiba

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

sorry, too many mistakes in my previous post. did not preview it. Diet FOR bfing moms should be the subject and my twins are 3rd AND 4th kids :)

#3 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM

can i ask why they are now not eating any other food?

it is my belief that your milk will usually be pretty much the same in terms of nutrition no matter what you eat as long as you are not malnourished, so al long as you eat a balanced diet and stay hydrated you should be fine.  but you can certainly work on getting them additional health fats and protein form other solid food.  

how much do your twins weight, have they been charted on their growth curve for a while, are they slipping in percentile or maintaining their own curve?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the peaditrician has checked them and assured us they are growing fine. Twin A does not eat . I have no idea why, I have tried different food with her and she only likes to eat plain cookies. Twin B who eats well does not look as healthy as twin a. I really dont knw whats going on ? They both weigh nearly the same though.

#5 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM

My twins are 10 mo and still almost fully breastfed.  A will eat almost anything put in front of her, but I consider solids at this age more of a treat than actual nourishment.  B doesn't care to try anything.  Like yours, A is a little more on the slender side, and B is more round, chubby.  Funny how that works.  I didn't notice if you mentioned if they were full term or premie, but that still might make them a little on the smaller side.  

Personally, my diet is really weird right now.  I just started GAPS because I've developed leaky gut and food intolerances. I don't seem to be absorbing nutrients properly, yet my girls are still growing well off my milk.  I don't quite know how that is.  I eat a lot of protein, veg and drink lots of water and bone broth.  I still take my prenatals and also water kefir for probiotics.  And that's about all I eat.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#6 of 9 Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM

i will add that at 9 month my twins were about 95% breast milk still as well, they ate a meal for fun maybe every other day at best, it was not till a month or so later that it became every day and not till 11 months that it became a meal and a snack a day. now at just over 1 year old, it is usually 2 decent meals a day, but i dont worry if we are on the go too much and miss one, cause they happy chug at the boob and have stayed on their growth curve the whole time.  mine weigh 20 and 22.5 currently and were 36 weeks at birth.

if the peds said they they are fine, what is it that you are seeing that worries you? can you tell us their weights? is it that maybe you are used to seeing overly chubby formula fed babies?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the assurances. I was under the impression that my babies should be eating thrice a day by now. Thats how it was with my first 2 girls.

My twins weighed 2.4 kilograms each when they were born. The normal birth weight for new borns here in India is around 2.7 to 4 kgs. 4 is considered huge and 3 kgs is supposed to be normal. My first child weighed 3 kgs. My 2nd child weighed 3.4 kgs and I think 2.4 kgs for twins is good considering some twins weigh as less as 1.5 kgs here !! The twins now weigh around 7 kgs each. What concerned me is when I saw TWO babies of different mothers only on breastfeed and twice as big as my babies. And these babies were few mnths younger than my twins. Thats what worried me. My 2nd child suffered from Vitamin D deficiency and we had to give her a vit d shot at 1.5 yrs. I too am deficient according to a recent test. So i was wondering if these babies will be getting the right nourishment from me. I am taking vit d supplements now. Do you give your 9 mos anything to drink as in juice or water ? Thanks

#8 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 AM

I had started to give them water in a sippy cup at that point. To this day they have drunk nothing but water and breastmilk, I see no reason to get them a sweet tooth for juice, they love learning to drink water!

I have given them vit D drops since they were little since that is one thing they don't really get from breastmilk that much. And now I give a multi vitamin powder mixed into a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt each day.

#9 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM

I did give mine water by that age (no juice, that's just sugar water), but mine didn't eat solid foods until they were 9 months. I don't know why, but their bodies just weren't able to digest food as early as other babies. They weren't able to eating 3 steady meals until I'd say 13 mos or so, and those were mostly just mashed fruits and veggies. They didn't get a more well-rounded regular meal until more like 18 mos. They did thin out quite a bit after a year, but I tried hard to eat lots of protein and healthy fats so I could give them as much nutrition as possible in the milk. I think that only works to a point, though, and it's much better, if they can digest it, to give those things straight to them.

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page