How do you keep the house in order? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have never been the world's best housekeeper. Once, we went to a wedding and asked my MIL to come babysit. She came and instead of sleeping over as planned, she drove the 1.5 hours home. We then got a nasty e-mail about how her husband was furious with us for letting her drive home and that she had refused to stay in our house because it was a cesspool of germs and how can we live like that, but more importantly, how can our kids live like that? It was not a pleasant exchange and needless to say we have never asked her to come and babysit again. Sometimes people say terrible things thinking it will change the situation, but reality is that we are MoMs, and I'd rather spend time with my kids while they are little and acutally clean once a week than always be cleaning - which I would be.

We use bins for all the little toys like blocks, animals, cars and have pictures pasted on the box of what goes in them. Then we do what we call a "ten second tidy" when the kids run around like crazy and put all the toys away. We are usually directing and telling which child to put which toys away, but it is easier now then when they were little. Even the 2 year old gets involved and helps clean up. So the tidying does get easier as they get older and it helps to try and get them involved as soon as you think they can so the kids can help. We also have a rule that if you want another toy you have to put the first one away. This helps too.

Good luck and remember, they have no idea what it's like so people feel the need to comment. I have said back to people who have made comments like that to me "you're welcome anytime to help me clear up/put laundry away/do dishes if it bothers you so much". Either they stopped making comments or they helped, either way you get your needs met.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GPTwins08 - what a great space you have, and so well organized! I wish we had such a big indoor play area.

The funny thing is that my kids could not handle a playspace like that--too many toys! My kids are "toy dumpers" and would have everything out at once. I could never keep a room clean like that. Part of keeping your house clean, I've learned, is learning what works best for your own kids. Can they handle having so many toy options at once, or not? I started out with everything neatly on shelves in containers, and finally figured out that I need to have only a FEW of those containers out at once. Most need to be stashed away and inaccessible to the kids. My kids have learned that they can have any toy they want, but they have to put their other stuff away before I will get something new out for them. This approach has made a drastic difference in the manageability of the mess around here.

We also have a "teamwork" mentality and tackle a room together. If one person was playing with something, I'll usually have them put it away, but overall we aren't worrying about who had what. Our family is a TEAM who take care of each other. So, sure you might not have been playing with your sister's dolls, but if I ask, you'll put them away. Just like she wasn't playing with your legos, but she's putting them away. We were getting into a lot of squabbles about who played with what and when, and it just felt really whiny and unproductive to me, so we've now switched to "it doesn't matter who had it, we're all picking up everything equally." I try to keep it fair, so if one person wasn't involved much in the mess, I don't require as much from them, or have them help me with something else after awhile. I don't know anyone else who approaches clean-up this way, but it has really smoothed things out and fostered a more communal mentality in the kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1nluv View Post

anyway, just wanted to share my new laundry system thats actually sort of working...   every room gets its own hamper and all dirty clothes from the room owner(s) go in that hamper - and then each room gets a laundry day. 
This is similar to what I do, too. My ODD is 5 and able to sort and fold her own now, but when my twins were toddlers I started them helping me with the laundry. I sit on the bed or floor in their room pulling bit by bit from the clean hamper and as I make little piles (shirts here, pants here, etc) they come and pick up the little stacks and put them away in the correct drawers.

Now that they're 3 they like to try to help me fold, and I'm good with however they "fold" it (although I do try to teach them the regular way, too). I think it helping with laundry actually gives good pre-math skills. You've got categorizing (sorting), finding like objects (which drawers to put them in) and spatial orientation (folding). wink1.gif
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Mombee View Post

That spaces looks amazing.  Wow, I need a bigger house so that I could utilize that type of space, it looks awesome.

Thanks!!

~Kristen~ Mom to:
lol.gif Haley(16), treehugger.gif Cameron(14), joy.gif Mackenna(12), upsidedown.gif Graham & biggrinbounce.gif Parker (4 / Twins)
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/twinsrock/
Blog - http://graham-and-parker.blogspot.com/
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post

GPTwins08 - what a great space you have, and so well organized! I wish we had such a big indoor play area.
The funny thing is that my kids could not handle a playspace like that--too many toys! My kids are "toy dumpers" and would have everything out at once. I could never keep a room clean like that. Part of keeping your house clean, I've learned, is learning what works best for your own kids. Can they handle having so many toy options at once, or not? I started out with everything neatly on shelves in containers, and finally figured out that I need to have only a FEW of those containers out at once. Most need to be stashed away and inaccessible to the kids. My kids have learned that they can have any toy they want, but they have to put their other stuff away before I will get something new out for them. This approach has made a drastic difference in the manageability of the mess around here.
We also have a "teamwork" mentality and tackle a room together. If one person was playing with something, I'll usually have them put it away, but overall we aren't worrying about who had what. Our family is a TEAM who take care of each other. So, sure you might not have been playing with your sister's dolls, but if I ask, you'll put them away. Just like she wasn't playing with your legos, but she's putting them away. We were getting into a lot of squabbles about who played with what and when, and it just felt really whiny and unproductive to me, so we've now switched to "it doesn't matter who had it, we're all picking up everything equally." I try to keep it fair, so if one person wasn't involved much in the mess, I don't require as much from them, or have them help me with something else after awhile. I don't know anyone else who approaches clean-up this way, but it has really smoothed things out and fostered a more communal mentality in the kids.
This is similar to what I do, too. My ODD is 5 and able to sort and fold her own now, but when my twins were toddlers I started them helping me with the laundry. I sit on the bed or floor in their room pulling bit by bit from the clean hamper and as I make little piles (shirts here, pants here, etc) they come and pick up the little stacks and put them away in the correct drawers.
Now that they're 3 they like to try to help me fold, and I'm good with however they "fold" it (although I do try to teach them the regular way, too). I think it helping with laundry actually gives good pre-math skills. You've got categorizing (sorting), finding like objects (which drawers to put them in) and spatial orientation (folding). wink1.gif

Thanks! My kids are actually toy dumpers too. I had to really start a new system with them so that they could learn not to just go crazy and take everything out, dumping it all, and making a huge mess. Part of the process was making sure there was a designated space for every item. I also decided it was best to put labels on every one of my little storage boxes. That way even my older kids or husband would know what goes in what box. I asked everyone in my house to help keep watch that not more than 2 boxes were take off the shelves and in use at the same time.. we started as ONE box at a time. Whatever we got out was what they had to play with for a little bit, then after 15-20 minutes we could clean it up together, put it back and choose a new box to get out. I had to really buckle down on them with taking out a bunch of stuff at once. I also sorted the large toy chests. They go by type. One is for cars/vehicles. One is for stuffed animals. One os for misc random toys... etc. It takes a lot of talking and teaching. I finally had my twins out of the toy dumping/get everything out at once stage about 6 months ago. I was sick of the clutter, sick of no toys having their parts with them, sick of the cluttered toy mess, sick of it all!!!!!

~Kristen~ Mom to:
lol.gif Haley(16), treehugger.gif Cameron(14), joy.gif Mackenna(12), upsidedown.gif Graham & biggrinbounce.gif Parker (4 / Twins)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM

oh and one of my twins still likes to occasionally "clear a shelf with one hand" or push everything off a shelf just to be a butt head. etc. I stop him right in his tracks, and I tell him why it is not ok to do that. I make him pick the toys up. I help a little and make sure everything is nice and neat. Then I ask him nto to do that again. Then I ask him if he wants to play with the toys that he just push or swiped down all over the floor. If he says no.... I suggest another toy or ask him to go sit down for a few to take a breather.. just kind of unwind with a book for a few...

~Kristen~ Mom to:
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Mombee View Post

Clothes have actually been a part of the decluttering, but I have had to talk DH into getting rid of outfits that he hasn't worn since I met him 12+ years ago lol.gif

That spaces looks amazing.  Wow, I need a bigger house so that I could utilize that type of space, it looks awesome.

I love it.  I used to do all of the laundry at once, but I remembered that when DS1 was a baby he had his own laundry day and it was much easier.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of this again.  I had begun to have everyone use their own hampers, but wow individual laundry days... I expect it to do wonders for our laundry mountain.  Thank you for that idea smile.gif

Thanks so much!!

~Kristen~ Mom to:

Tags
Parenting Multiples
User Tag List