chances of second set twins after loss?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Am a mummy of twins born  2007 ( however sadly one of my twins died  after birth) . I was 18 when i fell pregnant with twins (first pregnancy) . Ive since gone on to have a singleton. twins run in my family I myself am a fraternal twin, and my twins where fraternal. My nana had fraternal twins but she lost one to miscarrage. And my great nana had fraternal twins x 2 sets (both girls) but she had 10 pregnancies and 14 children soa big family  ! Just wonderd whats my chance again is?? as Im a twin and had one set! does it increase my chances?? I would love another set after carrying twins for 8 months and losing one broke my heart cant imagine not having my twin (my best friend) around. My oldest child ( survivng twin ) knows all about our angel and even knows which one his garden is at the cemetry. The thing is me and hubs  have a agreed to have one more but if its twins would be a blessing  but if not it still be blessing to our family and we will love it just as much!. is the anyway you can increase your chance of twins ?? obviously not fetility drugs ! do my chance automatically increase anyway? We wont be trying for a while just curious  xx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 PM

I have heard that people that have a predisposition to fraternal twins will see two ovulations on their temperature chart. I suppose if you wanted to try to have twin intentionally you could chart for a few months and have intimate time when you see two ovulations. My twins were identical so that right there is about the extent of my knowledge :)

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Having had fraternal twins while quite young, and having them running in the family make them a lot more likely than for the general population, definitely.

#4 of 7 Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM

It sounds like your chances are pretty high! With fraternals, you're ovulating more than one egg at once. Every woman has that happen from time to time, but you probably inherited a gene that makes you do that more often. There's nothing more you can really do but wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

I have heard that people that have a predisposition to fraternal twins will see two ovulations on their temperature chart. I suppose if you wanted to try to have twin intentionally you could chart for a few months and have intimate time when you see two ovulations. My twins were identical so that right there is about the extent of my knowledge smile.gif
I've heard that from various people but I've yet to see it actually happen on someone's chart, and I've been charting for over 10 years! As far as I've read, ovulating a 2nd (or 3rd) egg happens within 24 hours of the 1st ovulation. I think it would be pretty rare to see another ovulation many days later. I won't say it's impossible, because medical miracles happen. But there are different hormone surges on various days of our cycle, and I think most of the charts with 2 ovulations are just showing that.

#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM

My OB backup mentioned that eating yams increases odds of having twins.  shrug.gif

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#6 of 7 Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

My OB backup mentioned that eating yams increases odds of having twins.  shrug.gif

That is true. In Nigeria they eat a lot of yams as a staple food, which scientists believe is related to why they have the highest twin rates in that country. In Africa and in the Carribbean yams are available, so if you live in those areas you can try that.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find true yams in other areas. In the mainland US we just have sweet potatoes. Certain varieties of sweet potatoes are labelled "yams" here, that's a misnomer and they're not related to yams at all. If you google the difference you'll see that they're nothing really alike. So if the poster can actually get ahold of real yams, yes that's something to try!
#7 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Twins run in our family as well. Both my parents and both of DH's parents have twins in the family line. Because of ovarian cysts I was being closely monitored for a while and I do ovulate more than one egg every cycle, so my chances are greater. My first two pregnancies started off as twins (I lost one twin in the second pregnancy at 12 weeks, it just didn't develop) and this pregnancy started off as a single. So there are some people who are prone to it. Both of my sisters also have issues and both of them have been told that they hyper-ovulate too. All three of us are pregnant right now, all with singletons, so far I'm the only one with twins, so you never know! Even if you are pre-disposed it may not happen, and with my twins there is very strong evidence that I actually conceived them a week apart.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Tags
Parenting Multiples

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page