Questions for twin pregnancy and labor. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been wanting to post here for a while with questions but I keep forgetting dizzy.gif I figure since I'm getting towards the 3rd trimester I should start asking some stuff!

1. With twins, if you had a vaginal delivery, how long was labor until the first was born and then the second? I'm hoping for a quick labor, obviously, since my first was 24 hours with my singleton.

2. How much weight did you gain versus how big were your babies? I gained 25-30 lbs with my singleton and she was 8 lbs 11 oz so I'm hoping that since I've already gained 30 lbs the twins will be at least 6 lbs each at full term.

3. How common is pre-term labor and is it easy to stop? What was the general time in pregnancy for the pre-term labor?

4. Did you buy a maternity belt and is it even worth it?

5. How easy was it to nurse both babies exclusively? I'm hoping to tandem nurse but we'll see.

6. How did you deal with an older child? Mine will only be around 17-18 months old when the twins are born and I'm so nervous how I will deal with her on a daily basis! I don't have anyone to come help except for the first week or so and I'm afraid she's going to be neglected since she doesn't understand what's happening.

Thanks for the answers! I know that's a lot of questions but they've been building up over time!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#2 of 30 Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee View Post

I've been wanting to post here for a while with questions but I keep forgetting dizzy.gif I figure since I'm getting towards the 3rd trimester I should start asking some stuff!

1. With twins, if you had a vaginal delivery, how long was labor until the first was born and then the second? I'm hoping for a quick labor, obviously, since my first was 24 hours with my singleton.

2. How much weight did you gain versus how big were your babies? I gained 25-30 lbs with my singleton and she was 8 lbs 11 oz so I'm hoping that since I've already gained 30 lbs the twins will be at least 6 lbs each at full term.

3. How common is pre-term labor and is it easy to stop? What was the general time in pregnancy for the pre-term labor?

5. How easy was it to nurse both babies exclusively? I'm hoping to tandem nurse but we'll see.

6. How did you deal with an older child? Mine will only be around 17-18 months old when the twins are born and I'm so nervous how I will deal with her on a daily basis! I don't have anyone to come help except for the first week or so and I'm afraid she's going to be neglected since she doesn't understand what's happening.

Thanks for the answers! I know that's a lot of questions but they've been building up over time!

1.  I didn't.

2. I think I gained about 50 lbs, and my girls were 5lb3oz/5lb13oz at 35w3d.  I had (controlled by diet) gestational diabetes, not sure how much (if at all) that contributed to weights.

3.  It's so variable.  I had none.  I had a c-section at 35w3d due to pre-e.  I had only occasional bh contractions until then.

4.  I think I had one, used it once.  No, not worth it.

5.  Not a problem at all.  I never got the hang of tandem nursing, it was always easier to do one at a time.  My girls were easy, and my husband was a huge help.   I nursed them until 1 year (they had some formula at daycare - I work full time and my pumping output couldn't keep up)

#3 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1) 11 hours of labor, 9 minutes between them.

2) 60 pounds gained, babies were 6 pounds  and 6 pounds 2 oz at 36 weeks
3) I never had actual preterm labor, but I had threatened preterm labor from about 20 weeks, and was on bed rest from 22 weeks. It was hard to stop (but responded well to drugs and bed rest) That was a hard three months.

4) No

5) It was very very hard, and the first three months involved a lot of pumping and bottle feeding. (3 1/2 hours of pumping a day, plus nursing practice, plus cleanup for the first two months) After three months we were able to phase out the bottles completely, and we're at eight and a half months now and still no formula. I *can* nurse both babies at once, sometimes, but I prefer to nurse them one at a time.

#4 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM

1. We induced at 38 +3 weeks due to needing to be sure to have attendants (history of fast births, plus midwives an hour away) and my backup was going out of town for the weekend leaving her backup who only does Cs for multiples.  We broke my water at 10AM.  Labor kicked in at about 12:30 and A was born 1.5 hr later.  B was born an hour after that, by manual extraction.  I no longer recommend home birth for multiples, but it was a really rare complication.

2. I gained only 4 pounds more than my singletons.  My twins were 7,12 and 6,8. 

3. I had some days where BH would get really intense and regular.  I was always able to stop them on my own by taking a nice long bath in Epsom salts.  Stress was the biggest factor that would bring on contractions, especially tween tantrums from my oldest daughter.

4. Yes, I bought a belt, and it was very worth it.  I have SPD, and with my twins, I also had a problem with sacroiliac joint pain.  I got just a simple elastic belt from Babies R Us and was able to position it low enough to pull everything together.  The SI pain resolved itself, thankfully.  

5. I never needed to supplement my girls until they started solids.  This can be very variable depending on gestational age at birth, any complications, determination to exclusively breastfeed.  My girls insist on tandem nursing now, and this can be a blessing and a problem.  I don't tandem outside the house because I feel too exposed.

6. My 3 yo cut her own hair twice in the first few weeks home... EEK!  Get help.  Really.  For completely independent reasons, I have kept my 12 yo dd home this year doing virtual school, and honestly, I don't know what I would do without her presence at home every day.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#5 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM

lurk.gif

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#6 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:

1. my water broke and contractions didnt start, in earnest, until about 17 hours later. once they started, my labor was less than 2hrs until baby a was born. i started feeling contractions again about 30-45 minutes later and then it was an additional hour or so until i started pushing w/ her. it all moved very fast, but when all was said and done, they were 2hr15min.

2. i gained i think 50lbs and my twins were 5lb20z  and 6lb3oz lbs. born at 37w1d

3. anything prior to 36wks. im not certain how common PTL is.

4. i didnt buy one, cant say.

5. im tandem nursing. it was difficult at first maneuvering the little newbs...swaddling and a big nursing pillow helped a lot.

6. i have three older children, they were almost 2, 3.5, and almost 15 when the twins joined our family...its really busy, but i would guess just incorporating her as much as possible into their care...getting a nice double stroller so you can push her/one baby and wear a baby for outings, ask for help for the first few months from a family member or baby sitter who can come play with her and help with naps, etc. as you develop your nursing relationship, etc.

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

#7 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm sooo hoping for a shorter labor with these girls. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for around 12 hours, but we'll see! You all had great sized babies!

Erica-that's great you nursed them so long! I couldn't imagine working right, I would be so dead on my feet! I did enjoy nursing DD and think it will be nice to have one on one time with each of the twins too.

rinap-I'm hoping for a decent labor length like yours and definitely for them to be born close together! I would hate waiting for hours for the second one to come out... it would make me unable to enjoy and relax the first baby! Great job on nursing without supplementing, I hope I can do that as well!

mylilmonkeys-Awesome weights for your twins! I keep joking that if I go full-term they'll be 7 pounders at least! They already feel so big and cramped at 27 weeks I can't imagine later on! Never thought to take a bath to stop some of these more intense BH contractions. They seem to happen whenever I stand up or am walking too much. Such a difference from my singleton pregnancy.

ladydodson-I have a regular boppy but do you think one of those pillows just for twins would be worth it for nursing? Especially for tandem feeding? I couldn't imagine having two other young children so close in age to the twins! I bet your 15 year old was a major help! I feel like I'm cheating my dd out of her babyhood with having the twins but it's not like I was expecting to have 2 at once, lol!!! I will try and keep her involved, at least she understands how to be gentle with babies already and how to fetch things. I just hope she's not too jealous or feels neglected in those first few busy months with newborns.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#8 of 30 Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:

technically i had a 30 hour 1st stage and a 16 minutes second (pushing) stage! but the first part was long because i had to be given Magnesium Sulfate to control the risk of sea sure from high BP i developed in labor. I had gotten to 7cm and was doing great after just 6-7 hours before the hell broke loose, so I'm guessing the rest would have gone a lot faster without the Mag. (it is also the drug they use to stop preterm labor, hence the slow down effect it had.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee View Post

i started out slightly on the heavy side 5'7" 171lbs, i gained 31 pounds and gave birth to a 3oz and a 10 oz babe so a total of 10lb 13oz plus 2 placentas and waters. 

Quote:

that is dependent on soooo many factors i do not think other peoples history will give you any really useful data.  i went into labor 35w4d and had it stall on its own only to start of and on again 24 hours later, full labor was rolling and i brought myself to the hospital (high BP) at 35w6d and they were both the next day at 36w0d and very good milestone to meet, it usually gets you out of mandatory NICU check out. at that point they are called "Late Term Preemie" and treated pretty normal as long as they are doing well.

my first reaction when i was in labor was to stop it, but my midwife made it very clear that she felt that once you get into the 30's week wise, that babies push you into labor for a reason and fitting them leads to issues. (i think this is assuming you dont have some underling issue you know about)

Quote:

YES and YES i had a number of them as i got large and they were wonderful, they also calmed my BH contractions so that was a big plus

also i had a post partum support garment that went from just below my bust to my mid thigh and it saved me when everything was all loose right after, i wore it for about 2 weeks, maybe more.

Quote:

my babies got nothing but my breast milk till they war about 8-9 months and are still nursing strong at 14 months. that being said we did not really figure out nursing and get totally off pumped milk bottles till 6 months! so it is a journey for sure. i have seen many mommies do a great job nursing twins. flexibility is a must and be open to pumping for a number of reasons. my twin EZ2Nurse pillow is still a lifesaver and i still use it to tandem nurse!

Quote:

one thing I'm very thankful for was my twins being my first kids, but others here can help you with this one.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#9 of 30 Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee View PostI have a regular boppy but do you think one of those pillows just for twins would be worth it for nursing? Especially for tandem feeding?

A twin pillow is almost a necessity for tandem nursing when they are tiny.  In the first few weeks, when you are nursing almost all night long, you can sit up in bed or in a recliner, put a baby on each side and snooze.  The slopes keep the babies from falling off the sides.  Twin pillows are MUCH bigger than a boppy.  

#10 of 30 Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM

I found the twin nursing pillow a necessity. Both for tandem nursing and so I could snuggle one while I nursed the other.

#11 of 30 Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 AM

what twin nursing pillow did everyone use and was happy with?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#12 of 30 Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Adorkable-I'm still on the fence about a maternity belt just because I don't want the extra expense if I won't use it... I am considering it more and more if it really helps with BH contractions which I get constantly!! In regards to preterm labor, I know everyone is different, I was just curious because I wondered if such frequent BH contractions were a signal that I was at risk for preterm labor. I'm really hoping to get to 37 weeks so I can deliver with my doctor/midwfie team!!

Thanks mylilmonkeys and rinap, I think I will definitely plan on getting a twin nursing pillow, especially for those long nights nursing the whole time! I remember my boppy with my dd was very helpful and I can only assume that a larger one would be best for two babies!

#13 of 30 Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM

I have twin dd 16m, ds 3, ds 5, dd 7, dd14

1  I was induced at 38wks.  dd1 was born vag an hour and half later.( other labors had been quick)  dd2 was born 20 min later c-section. (she was transverse)

2  I gained some right at the end after I stopped paying attention but until then I had gained about 30-35lbs  thats just a few lbs more than with each of my boys.  They were 5.5 and 7.1 Way bigger than we expected as my other children were all between 5.12-6.14

3  I had bh regularly from 13 wks.  They became very intense by the 3rd trimester but only really threatened labor once about 34wks.  I really appreciated the test as it gave me some peace of mind.  Dont remember what it was called.

4 maternity belt was a nice Idea but all it really did was shove those babies even farther into my already bruised and battered ribs.

5 I thought i would nurse both babies 50/50  I had planned to give one baby a bottle and nurse the other than switch at the next feeding.  But by the time I had them really nursing well and ready to try it bottles were just too much work.  I liked to feed them separatly and get that special time but if I was in a hurry or they were both hungary at the same time I tandem nursed and it wasn't as difficult as I expected.  just forget modesty!  I lived in my cushioned arm chair(like a lazy boy)  that gave me the support to nurse or snuggle both babies.  But when I wasnt in the chair a nursing pillow was a must.

6  It was tough on my littlest guy.  He was 2.  I would sit in the recliner with the foot rest up so he could sit on the foot rest in front of me while I nursed babies.  The first 8 weeks I spent a lot of time nursing.  but after that we kindof got the hang of it.  And all of my kids adjusted pretty well aside from the occassional meltdown.  We joke that its a good thing that we had twins cause there are never enough babies to go around.

Big thing is get help.  Its ok to ask.  I used to have people come over and hold babies so I could clean and do laundry or even just eat.  once word got around people were anxious for a turn to come play with a couple babies.

#14 of 30 Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee 

About 24 hrs total, with 5 mins between them.

Quote:

Only 20 lbs, but they came so early. 30 wks.

Quote:

I had some ptl at 29 wks, got it treated, but then it started again at 30, and that was that!

Quote:

Didn't get big enough to need it.

Quote:
It was extremely hard. But they were so premature. I hope you have an easier time! But definitely stick with it, because it gets so much easier! We're still going strong at 21 mos.

Quote:

I don't have older kids, but regardless, you will need help the first couple months at least! Someone to bring you food and water, play with the older DD, and to provide a warm body to hold a baby if necessary.

A twin size nursing pillow is a requirement. I used the twin plus Brest Friend pillow.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#15 of 30 Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 AM

My water broke 10pm wednesday night, they were born at 4:40 and 4:50 Friday morning

I gained about 50 lbs, and they were 4lbs 8oz and 4 lbs 1oz

Not sure, mine were 35 weeks and a bit

No

Not difficult once I got the hang of it. I did both together in the football fold or one regular and one football, using a regular pillow.

I had my twins first to get out of that issue. I have no idea how you moms with other kids do it!!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#16 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

what twin nursing pillow did everyone use and was happy with?

I got a great deal on an EZ2nurse pillow on ebay.  Turned out the seller lived in the city my dh works in, so he picked it up no shipping. LOL  

#17 of 30 Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 PM

EZ2Nurse pillow is great and absolutley necessary.  you can get by with a bunch of pillows, but it is pretty hard to manage when you've got *two* bitty, somewhat floppy newborns to cope with. 

You should get more help in some form or fashion.  Whether it is someone to help with housework, or the 18 month old, or whatever.  Like a PP mentioned, I have some older children at home because we homeschool.  If it wasn't for them I would have sunk!  You've still got some time, start asking around about people who can help.  Be shameless, no one will blame you.  You will need help for a minimum of 6 mths, better a year, and better than that 2 yrs.  It will lessen over time, but I can't recommend anything else more.

#18 of 30 Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
You will need help for a minimum of 6 mths, better a year, and better than that 2 yrs.  It will lessen over time, but I can't recommend anything else more.

how much help would you say? for example daily, a few times a week, full time?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#19 of 30 Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I'm just entering the third trimester (yay 28 weeks) and already feeling like I can't get off the ground from sitting! And poor DD can barely fit on my lap when we rock because I have to sit straight up or feel like I'm suffocating on baby feet!

anexia-I wish my labors were quick like that! I agree that perhaps a maternity belt right now would be bad since the girls are already shoved feet up into my ribs. Baby A is particulary vicious about kicking her side! I also worry that my dd will want to nurse too and be jealous when I have to tell her to wait. That is if she's still nursing when the twins get here.

ShanaV-Wow, 24 hours of labor and then everything happened all at once at the end! I bet that was intense! Great job nursing them so long even though they were preemies! That is one of my bigger worries as far as breastfeeding goes, that they will be too little and training them will be too much difficulty!

Justmee-I'm surprised (if you were at a hospital) that they let you labor so long with twins with your water broken. Were you already having contractions or was it a spontaneous break and stuff starting happening afterward? I'm thinking that the double football hold will be easiest for me because of my height and because it seems you have your hands free to grab a drink or something. With my older dd, that was the only way she would latch on one side.

queenofchaos-I wish I could get help and I've been trying to line up people but my sister is having her first baby the same time I'm having the twins so no one thinks I'll need help and she'll need a lot since she's a new mom eyesroll.gif. But I'm already planning my frozen meals which helped for a good month when dd was born and I know will be even more of a life saver now!! I plan on getting a cheap deep freezer off of craig's list to completely get stocked up with easy meals for DH and myself!

#20 of 30 Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:

queenofchaos-I wish I could get help and I've been trying to line up people but my sister is having her first baby the same time I'm having the twins so no one thinks I'll need help and she'll need a lot since she's a new mom eyesroll.gif

Wow-that's really crazy! How does your sister feel about it? Can you enlist her help? Maybe if she talked to your family and told them you will need help too, they would listen. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#21 of 30 Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

how much help would you say? for example daily, a few times a week, full time?

it seems like the hardest part of the day is dinner time.  if someone could come by at least 3/4 times a week, preferably every afternoon, fix dinner, do a couple loads of laundry, tame the dish monster, then you'd be doing well.

#22 of 30 Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM

i used (and still have) the my breast friend pillow...it was like a table top for the babies and i could football either one of them and have full use of my hands to read, browse on my iphone, take pictures, etc...it was kind of a hassle to get in and out of it...like i felt trapped underneath it once it was on...and i found i didnt use it in the middle of the night because of that...i just stacked one baby on my top breast and side nursed the other...but since you spend so much time nursing early on...just make sure you have lots of necessities w/in reach...

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

#23 of 30 Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM

I love all the questions! Twins are challenging, though it's true that they're absolutely double the joy as well. You're in for a wonderful experience.

1. I ended up induced after carrying to term, and the induction brought on a very slow labour. This isn't the typical labour scene for someone who goes into it naturally. In hindsight, I would have argued the induction, and I'd never advise it to others- though at the time I was a very big, very pregnant lady and the summer was hot...

2. This was my first pregnancy, and I'm not proud to say it, but I threw on a whopping 75 lbs! I was a little tubby in the end, babes were an awesome size- both a healthy 6lbs 9oz at birth.

3. I can only dispense advice I've been given: with multiples technically you're more "at risk" for pre-term labour at any time. With that said, I had bags packed out of fear at 28 weeks, and the babes didn't come until my induction 10 weeks later. Lay low- if you have any contracting/unusual cramping, lay on your side and take it even more easy!

4. I didn't purchase a maternity belt.

5. I nearly exclusively tandem nursed for the first four months. I liked nursing one at a time, though this took a huge amount of time. Tandem nursing afforded me the opportunity to keep the boys very in sync with one another, which optimized my napping time. I was given a "My Brestfriend" Twin Feeding Pillow which made this very manageable!

6. I don't have any other children, and even at that I felt the need for help. This is a doubly exhausting job, which is completely manageable if you're prepared for it. I would strongly recommend hiring a postpartum doula or "mother's helper" for early on. If you can't find local listings in your area for people working under these titles, post an ad on a job bank website with exactly what you expect for help. You deserve the rest!

Cheers!

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

#24 of 30 Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Wow! I just had a quick read-through and realized how many ladies did a tremendous job carrying their little ones to term! I love hearing about multiples and their moms thriving! All great stuff.   :)

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

#25 of 30 Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1. Emergency C-section (HELLP syndrome).

2. I gained about 65 pounds, and the babies weighed 8 pounds each.

3. I didn't have PTL - I'm no help.

4. No maternity belt.

5. My boys are identical, and were completely on the same schedule for the first few months - they even pooped at the same time, every 3 or 4 days! So I nursed them together. It helps that I have little breasts (I grew into a A-cup while pregnant). I didn't use a nursing pillow, but I did use foam bed pillows on each side, and nestled us into the corner of our big sectional couch during the day. Dh was a huge help early on, helping us get situated, but it didn't take me long to figure out how to make it all work. I'd set up a big water jog, a sandwich and some snacks, the phone, and the TV remote, and we were all set!

6. The twins were my first (and last).

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#26 of 30 Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 AM

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgone thing I'm very thankful for was my twins being my first kids, but others here can help you with this one.

#27 of 30 Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM

Ooh, I can respond now!

1. With twins, if you had a vaginal delivery, how long was labor until the first was born and then the second? 

Once active labor hit, it was 1.5 hours before my first was born, and her brother was born 29 minutes later. 

2. How much weight did you gain versus how big were your babies? 

I gained about 50 pounds, and my babies were 9 pounds, 2 ounces, and 8 pounds, 14 ounces. I gained about 50 pounds with both of my prior singleton pregnancies and they were 8 pounds, 12 ounces, and 9 pounds, 10 ounces. 

I didn't experience preterm labor. I *did* have a lot of Braxton-Hicks contractions, much more than I did with my singletons, and I gotta wonder how often that ends up interpreted as preterm labor. 

I kept meaning to buy one, but never did. I can't imagine it'd take away all of the discomfort, or even enough to make a substantial difference.

5. How easy was it to nurse both babies exclusively? 

I had my babies three weeks ago and we've done nothing but breastfeed since. I think it helps tremendously that I went into labor spontaneously and they were full-term (39 weeks). I also gave birth at home, so there was no interference in any way from "well-meaning" medical personnel.

6. How did you deal with an older child? 

This is the hardest part. I have a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old. It's been very helpful to have another adult (and sometimes kids) come over to occupy and/or distract them. They've been taken to the park or outside, or, at the very least, someone else is around to intervene when they start getting too wild or to serve them lunch/dinner. My second was born when my first was a year old, and I employed a lot of TV as a distraction for her; the same is happening now. I try to not to feel too guilty about it; it's temporary, and better than me losing my marbles, which leads to me being a very unpleasant mother. 

#28 of 30 Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipper View Post

I gained about 50 pounds, and my babies were 9 pounds, 2 ounces, and 8 pounds, 14 ounces. 

You are amazing!  Wow!

#29 of 30 Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been on here lately. I've been trying to organize my entire house plus do tons of yard work. I never really had nesting with DD but it seems to be on overload this time. Given me plenty of contractions but I'm trying to slow down with this terrible heat. Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm past 32 weeks and time is flying. Just trying to make it to 37 weeks, which is my goal!

pammysue-My sister looks like she's going to be having her baby early with a case of pre-e so I might have more people on hand when I actually hit term at the beginning of May. I'm hoping she and her baby do well of course but it would be nice for there to be a few weeks between her son's arrival and the twins coming.

AndreaJay-I agree that being pregnant when it's hot is very exhausting. I think that tandem nursing is going to be the way to go just so I have time to myself/taking care of older DD. I know she's going to be jealous even at her young age and I really want to make sure she feels like I care because I do!!

nd_deadhead-Great sizes of twins! I hope my girls sync up too, that would be a huge help I think! I do think I'm going to need a special pillow because I still feel like I don't have the hang of breastfeeding my DD much less 2 floppy newborns.

tipper-I commented on your other post but congratulations again! Those are some big twins! I hope mine bake as long and I get my homebirth as well. I definitely think that I'm going to have to use the tv as a babysitter for a while until I can get past the newborn stage. I'm so nervous yet starting to get excited about the challenge as well.

#30 of 30 Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

induced at 1pm, began pushing at 9pm, Baby A born at 9:31pm and baby B born at 9:41pm.  So, about 8.5 hours - 9 hours total. :)

I gained 50 pounds.  Baby A was 6 pounds 9 oz.  Baby B was 6 pounds.

I had it a lot.  I was hospitalized 2 times, first at 22 weeks and again at 24 weeks.  The other times, I was able to stop it at home.  Push the fluids!!!!  and rest rest rest! (and more fluids)

yes yes yes yes yes!  I got mine from babies r us.  I would not have survived without it. I also saw a chiropractor who specialized in pregnancy and because of her, I was up and going for walks the day I delivered at 36.5 weeks.  

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10813242 <---the belt I got

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page