preterm labor.. how common is it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Considering your twin pregnancy is healthy and complication free, how common is early or preterm labor ... really?

With DC1 he was born at almost 42w I had a very healthy complication-free pregnancy and this pregnancy with twins appears to being going in the same route.. ..

I am wondering if a late delivery could/would be more possible with twins or not if my history is that of late labors. How common is preterm labor with twins, esp when you have no real complications during your pregnancy?

anyone?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#2 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM

I've had two uncomplicated pregnancies previous to this one, and am currently at 38 weeks with twins. This has actually been my most comfortable and probably healthy pregnancy yet, and I've had absolutely no problems. My midwives have commented that multiples conceived without assistance seem to have fewer problems overall. 

#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Great to hear.

Mine were conceived 'naturally' but I was a bit shocked when my last appointment my OB announced that after today she will start checking me for 'preterm labor' as of my next appointment (at 21w onward) esp because I have an international flight planned in April and was very suddenly nervous about getting on a plane :)

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#4 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 05:41 AM

I had two complication-free pregnancies before my twin pregnancy.  Ds1 was born just a few days past 40 weeks and dd1 was a few days before 40 weeks.  My twin pregnancy was fairly complication-free until about 33 weeks when I did start contracting and dilating.  I was on bed rest in the hospital for 3 days and then on modified bedrest at home until I went into labour (water broke) at one day shy of 37 weeks.  My twins were also conceived naturally.  I think anything can happen.  Just hope for the best and deal with whatever comes your way.  Sending you thoughts for a long healthy pregnancy smile.gif

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#5 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM

I also went into preterm labor at 33 weeks after 3 uncomplicated full-term singleton pregnancies.

Honestly, looking back, I probably knew I was over-doing it.  I was able to carry until 37 weeks after some hospital/home bedrest.

Listen to your body, and you'll likely be just fine!

My twins were also conceived naturally.

#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:

My midwives have commented that multiples conceived without assistance seem to have fewer problems overall. 

I know this is meant to be reassuring, but it makes me really uncomfortable to hear these kind of statements because parents who have been through infertility, IVF etc have enough to cope with physically and emotionally, without the additional scaremongering that they are likely to end up with more problems as a result!!!!

Things can go either way and no one is immune. There is evidence that eating a high protein diet can help, so you have that to play with, and then listening to your body and responding appropriately - rest if you need to.

My twins were spontaneous and born at 32 weeks after 4 singletons born on the early side of full term. I was waaay bigger, in terms of the weight I carried, at 32 weeks than with any of my previous singletons at birth.

DoubleDouble likes this.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I know this is meant to be reassuring, but it makes me really uncomfortable to hear these kind of statements because parents who have been through infertility, IVF etc have enough to cope with physically and emotionally, without the additional scaremongering that they are likely to end up with more problems as a result!!!!

I didn't say that they are likely to end up with more problems; I relayed what my midwives said about how spontaneous twin pregnancies seem to have fewer problems overall. Honestly, I think it has more to do with the care one receives during pregnancy than how conception occurs. If you've gone through the rigors of infertility treatment, you're going to be considered high-risk right off the bat, and that usually comes with it a whole lot of fearmongering in and of itself, what with the extra scrutiny and doctors who are not really comfortable with the idea of letting women grow and give birth to babies without a lot of intervention. 

#8 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 AM

I'll jump in and say (for anyone worried about early labor and who used assistance) that I my twins were conceived via IVF  and they were delivered full term and absolutely healthy.  I did go on bed rest for a week at 35 weeks, but then they didn't come until 38 weeks. They were 6lb15 oz and 5lb10 oz.  I consumed a ton of protein during pregnancy, and my big twin was 5 oz larger than the singleton I had 3 years later.  I have no idea about the data about more problems with assisted vs. spontaneous twins, but my 9-year-old boys are proof that it's not always true. 

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page