If you carried your twins to 36+ weeks... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

....were you put on bed rest or did you have other restrictions?

I'm just wondering how possible it is to carry to full term without bed rest. Two littles at home and no family around makes bed rest seem impossible.

TIA 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#2 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM

I carrried my twins to 36 weeks.  I was never on bed rest, but the space they took up did a number on my GI tract so I was hospitalized off and on for the last 4 of those weeks so that I could receive pain managment.

My boys had TTTS and still I was not put on bedrest.  The vast majority of twin moms I know never had to go on bed rest;  and of those that did most of those also had to be put on bed rest for the previous children as well.

That being said, if it happens it happens, statistics are one thing but if it happens to you it doesn't matter.  I would say that it's a very wise idea to not COUNT on not needing extra assistance with childcare or house management at some point and to plan what you will do should that come to pass rather than crossing your fingers and relying on statistics.  It's a good habit to get into (the planning and asking for help) as early as possible anyway, that way you are not knocked on your ass by the reality of newborn twins plus other children while learning how to accept and ask for help (like me, boy that was not very fun for anyone, especially because of my stubbornness).  I didn't have family close by either, and my singleton is 17 months older than my twins and she was still nursing at the time.  That's the funny thing about 'impossible'.  When you have to, you do it.  I wish I could have gotten myself used to the idea and made some outreach early, instead of waiting until I was up the creek without the paddle.  :)

#3 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 AM
ljc

I made it to 37 weeks and 5 days.  No bedrest and a toddler (19 months at home).  It wasn't my finest hour - I was so uncomfortable.  I was worried that if I went on bedrest I would deilver past 40 weeks - and as great as that would have been for my babies - I couldn't bear the thought.  I felt in my heart they were ready - and they were born healthy at 6 pounds 6 ounces and 7 pounds 11 ounces. 

Now - I work as a Physical Therapist and I stopped treating patients at week 35? and stopped working at week 37.  

I know many twin mommies that carried to term without bedrest.  Best wishes - and hang in there.

#4 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Went to one day shy of 41 weeks. No bed rest. I had two other kids, too, and was home all day with them without help.

It is possible. Good luck to you! 

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#5 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM

I ended up carrying my boys until 37 weeks.  I am so happy to hear twin mommies that are able to carry them without any bedrest!  I hope the best for you!

I did go into preterm labor at about 33 weeks, and was on bedrest in the hospital for 2 weeks, and then moderate bedrest at my sisters house for another 2 weeks (they wouldn't let me go all the way home because I was already so dilated, and live too far from any hospital).  After 4 LONG weeks, my boys were born, and we were home 24 hours later.

In retrospect, the 4 weeks of bedrest were long, and hard.  Especially working out the details of who would have my kiddos etc.  But in the end, I had two very healthy baby boys, and I couldn't have asked for anything better.

I would never hope for bedrest for anyone, but if you have to do it to keep your babies in there longer you can make it work, your family will survive, and it's totally worth it!!  I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Best Wishes!

#6 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
It's a good habit to get into (the planning and asking for help) as early as possible anyway, that way you are not knocked on your ass by the reality of newborn twins plus other children while learning how to accept and ask for help (like me, boy that was not very fun for anyone, especially because of my stubbornness).

regardless of twins or not- this is very very true. I wish I had been able to ask for help with DC1 and I wasn't and I really paid the price for my stupid pride.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#7 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm 38 weeks and a few days, and still chock full o' twins. No bedrest for me, although I am taking things easy simply because it's hard for me to do a whole lot. I can't drive anymore because I don't fit behind the wheel of a car. I can only stand for 10-15 minutes before my back starts to really ache. I feel a *lot* of pelvic pressure whenever I stand. I ended up going on leave from work at 34 weeks because I had the opportunity to do so, but I didn't strictly need to. I'm also wrangling two other little ones (4.5 and 2.5) while at home, and have been relying upon people coming over for playdates or taking them on outings to prevent us all from going totally insane. The hardest part is being bored!

#8 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The hardest part is being bored!

I don't blame you!

I've been sick a lot the last few weeks and found the kindle application to save my life (you can download the books and magazines onto your computer so you dont have to buy the device) Its an unlimited library!

Also internet TV shows, facebook, the usuals.

Do you knit? I feel I am too ADD for it, but I have friends who swear by it.

#9 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM

36 weeks 2 days (induction). I was on bedrest from 22 weeks on, though it was all at home. (had to remain horizontal except for bathroom and quick showers once a day) I don't have older kids. It would have been very hard if I did (it was very hard anyway)

The biggest thing I recommend for preventing the need for bedrest (not that you can prevent it, but...) is to stay off your feet as much as you can. Particularly to steal a bit of the middle of your day to lie down. If your kids still nap, nap with them. If they don't, declare a quiet time in the afternoon during which you can lie down. If people are willing to take them away for play dates, take them up on that.

Think about ways to spend time with them that involve you sitting or lying on the couch or bed. Puzzles, reading to them, singing, coloring.

Let go of housework. This would be a good time to hire a cleaner if you can (a few times a month?). Regardless, it's a good time to figure out the minimum that will keep the house running and let go of everything else. Particularly anything that involves lifting.

Because those will help you keep off (or postpone) bedrest, and will also get them used to some ways of being with you that will work while you're nursing your twins.

#10 of 29 Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! This is great news. I was expecting worse (yes, I am a pessimist!). 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#11 of 29 Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM

I carried my twins to 2 days shy of 40 weeks. No bed rest. I did however pay close attention to my body and took it easy as needed. Tried not to lift my toddler and rested rather than pushed myself when the Braxton Hicks started up. I ate boatloads of protein too. It can be done.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#12 of 29 Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM

I carried my twins to 2 days shy of 40 weeks. No bed rest. I did however pay close attention to my body and took it easy as needed. Tried not to lift my toddler and rested rather than pushed myself when the Braxton Hicks started up. I ate boatloads of protein too. It can be done.

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#13 of 29 Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM

#14 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Was induced at 38wks.  No bed rest.  I read everything I could find when I found out it was twins.  The best advice I found was to watch what I did.  So dh started doing the laundry(no more carrying heavy baskets up and down stairs) and unloading groceries.  We moved my toddler out of a crib so I didnt have to lift him and I learned to sit down next to him instead of carrying him around.  Also really good nutrition.  It wasnt easy but I carried longer than my other pregnancies and twin B was my biggest baby of my 6 kids.

#15 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Was induced at 38wks.  No bed rest.  I read everything I could find when I found out it was twins.  The best advice I found was to watch what I did.  So dh started doing the laundry(no more carrying heavy baskets up and down stairs) and unloading groceries.  We moved my toddler out of a crib so I didnt have to lift him and I learned to sit down next to him instead of carrying him around.  Also really good nutrition.  It wasnt easy but I carried longer than my other pregnancies and twin B was my biggest baby of my 6 kids.

#16 of 29 Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

regardless of twins or not- this is very very true. I wish I had been able to ask for help with DC1 and I wasn't and I really paid the price for my stupid pride.

yeahthat.gif  you have no idea.  bedrest or no, YOU NEED HELP  practice now, find helpers, plan ahead.  i made it  to 39w2d,  no bedrest.  The last trimester is a doozy tho, and that last month unimaginable!  I had help off and on throughout the last month because I was having significant swelling in my legs and feet and needed to have my feet up a LOT.  Be kind to your body, eat well, don't take on any extra physical tasks or committments, drink at least a gallon of water a day, listen to your body.  This can go a long way towards preventing bedrest, though that does not mean that bedrest is due to poor self-care.  Sometimes bed rest is unavoidable.  Another thing a bit off topic, any of the things that women typically do/plan to get ready for a baby, get ALL of it done by the end of your 2nd trimester.  At that point it is very unfair of your body to ask it to do marathon nesting sessions, put baby furniture together or shop for hours gathering supplies.  AND if you can at all afford it/have space, lay in supplies (what non-perishables do you use in 6-12 mths time, stock it up now), plan meals and cook and freeze.  Think about how to simplify life.  Find someone to take care of housecleaning chores like mopping, cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the fridge after babes are born.  You'll kick yourself later if you don't. 

#17 of 29 Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Hi there, my twin boys are 9 weeks old now. I carried them to 39 weeks/2 days. They were 7 lbs 11 oz and 7 lbs 4 oz.

Although I never was put on bedrest, I found that my body definitely needed to be down most of the time at the end. I would have a good 30 minutes on my feet and that was it. After that, I was lying down most of the day.

I was off of work from 34 weeks on and home with my 4 year old, so I know what you mean about needing to entertain/care for other children. 

Drink lots and lots of water. Eat lots and lots of protein. Dr. Barbara Luke recommends 160 grams for twin pregnancy and while

couldn't seem to ever get that much in, I just took in as much protein as I could. That seemed to really help with my energy level and the swelling.

As for tending my little one, as the others have said...it's going to take activities that require minimal physical involvement on your part. My little

one loves his ocean figures, for example. So he would play with those near the bed. I have Netflix and would put some of the more wholesome kid programming on for him (not a huge fan of TV and we don't have the regular channeling, but I had to sacrifice some ideals).

Ask for help as needed. My husband had to really step up to the plate and take over the housework. If people wanted to help, I asked them to bring over a prepared meal or a frozen one for later (and you'll need lots and lots of those for after babies come).

Best of luck to you! It can be done...and the most amazing reward is around the corner!

Mel.

#18 of 29 Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM

oh, and I agree with the poster who said get everything you want done by the end of your 2nd trimester. Your new motto is "There is no time like the present" LOL

#19 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Your new motto is "There is no time like the present" LOL

That is sort of what I was afraid of. cold.gif

Is the total and sheer exhaustion during the ENTIRE pregnancy normal? I feel like all I want to do is sleep all the time and Im only 20w.

#20 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post

oh, and I agree with the poster who said get everything you want done by the end of your 2nd trimester. Your new motto is "There is no time like the present" LOL

I will second that as well. By the last month I could barely get anything done befor I wore out.

#21 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

That is sort of what I was afraid of. cold.gif

Is the total and sheer exhaustion during the ENTIRE pregnancy normal? I feel like all I want to do is sleep all the time and Im only 20w.

I can only speak for myself...

My twins were my third pregnancy. My first two were singles. So, in comparison to those pregnancies, yes, I slept and felt exhausted in a surprisingly intense way. I did feel better once I eliminated sugar. I was having some blood sugar issues. As long as I kept my water and protein consumption high, I felt much better.

But I do think it's completely normal to need a lot of sleep and feel exhausted...your body is doing a whole lot!

It is completely worth it though : D I love waking up to two little happy babies smiling at me in the morning...it's all the thanks I need.

#22 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Absolute, total, overwhelming exhaustion.  I remember asking the same question.  I will say Check you iron often.  Or at least start taking a heavy dose of it(careful to include lots of fiber lol)  I had my iron checked in the first trimester and it was ok.  But they tested a few weeks later cause I was soooo tired and I was severely anemic.  When I added all the iron it did help.  Still crazy tired but at least I could drag myself off the couch.

#23 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Your other, and possibly more important new motto is "do I really need to do that? Probably not." Learn to let things go if they're not really important and try to figure out how important they are. And whether you can outsource them or modify them.

Sometimes it's very hard. But necessary.

SeattleMolly likes this.
#24 of 29 Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinap View Post

Your other, and possibly more important new motto is "do I really need to do that? Probably not." Learn to let things go if they're not really important and try to figure out how important they are. And whether you can outsource them or modify them.

Sometimes it's very hard. But necessary.

yup!

#25 of 29 Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM

I went 40 weeks+1 with mine, (although I didn't know I was carrying twins).  Also had a 13 month old. Maybe not typical but definately possible!

Good luck to you! slingtwin.gif

#26 of 29 Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post

....were you put on bed rest or did you have other restrictions?

I'm just wondering how possible it is to carry to full term without bed rest. Two littles at home and no family around makes bed rest seem impossible.

TIA 

Carried my boys to 37w, 5 d -- was taken off from work at 35 weeks and placed on modified bed rest. At that point, I had my two girls at home (13 and 2 ) - my husband worked from home so that was a HUGE help. 

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#27 of 29 Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM

turns out (I'm 34w or so right now) that I had SUPER low iron and it wasn't discovered till somewhere around 26w for me, I am still really tired but not to the point I want to cry or feel I am in tears from exhaustion.

#28 of 29 Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM

I carried to 38w 1d.  I did have contractions at 34w 2d and the hospital staff were able to stop them.  From there I was put on modified bedrest until 36 weeks.  I wish you a long twin pregnancy!

#29 of 29 Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 PM

I'm 38w this week and a lot slower in my day to day activities but still active (I'm lap swimming 5-6 days a week) and haven't had any further complications to my pregnancy then the low iron joy.gif

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page