Flying international, 22-25w, WWYD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far my pregnancy has been going fine- no complications or problems. I am suppose to fly international next month. Currently I am 18-19w with my twins.

The first leg of my flight is 10 hours, I will be traveling with DH/DS. We will then stay at that point for 10 days.

The second leg of my flight will be 7-8 hours but I will travel alone, this will be after 10 days of 'rest'. I will stay at that point for 8 days (will be with family and friends and it will be a very relaxing time 'alone' as my DH/DS will not be traveling with me).

The third leg of my flight will be my return travels it will be 17 hours (with 2 layovers between flights), I will be traveling alone and plan to check ALL my luggage. I will be 25w pregnant at this point.

Would you feel comfortable doing this trip at 22-25w pregnant? Especially if you frequently traveled prior to the twin pregnancy? I am trying to gauge how realistic of an idea it is. My OB feels it would be fine.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM

If you feel ok, then you should be fine. Swelling may be in issue. Get up frequently on the plane and stretch out. Drink a ton of water. Don't do any heavy lifting or carrying. I'd have contacts in each place for a hospital. It sounds like the visits will be very relaxing. I just did an 11-hour car trip to visit family, and was surprised how great I felt with others to care for my DS (11 months).

I honestly would not consider this just due to my general fatigue and how exhausting air travel is...but if you have it booked, do it.

Mom of DS born 4/1/11. Wife and Middle-school teacher. Expecting Di/Di boy twins in June, 2012.

#3 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I agree. There is NO way I could do this flight with my toddler in tow.

The long leg of the whole trip (17 hours) I will be doing totally alone. With previous air flights, solo vs toddler travel are very different experiences (and also very exhausting).

When I fly alone I tend to sleep the entire flight- with DS in tow I never get to sit/eat or pee alone.

The whole trip is booked using miles, so it would be very easy for me to cancel without penalty or cost if I need to do so. I plan to play it by ear and if I have any complications prior will not go..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Lots of water. And very comfortable clothes. And you may need a new wardrobe to come back in. :)

#5 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM

rinap-yes, the growth has been amazing from 20 to 25 weeks!

Mom of DS born 4/1/11. Wife and Middle-school teacher. Expecting Di/Di boy twins in June, 2012.

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page