anyone else expecting twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 92 Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a thread for this yet? Id love to start a sort of twin-DDC-ish group if not :)

I am due the first week of August with dizygotic twins.  . . wondering if anyone else is expecting also and how your pregnancies are going?

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 92 Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 PM

there is a thread that floats around from time to time for your wonderful preggo ladies, i see a fall 11 one farther down on the page.  i suggest looking at that one and then starting up one for the spring/summer! i hosted one while i was preggo and it was fun.  congrats, congrats! 

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 92 Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM

My di/di twins are due sept 7 smile.gif

Pregnancy has been relatively easy so far... But I am SO TIRED. All of the time. I am starting to get used to the idea of twins, and the belly is getting bigger by the minute, it seems like.

#4 of 92 Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

yes.. the exhaustion this pregnancy has been unreal.

I go for a walk or bike ride and feel like I need to nap the rest of the day.. my energy is riding at about 30-40% of normal.. its horrible!

#5 of 92 Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Mine are due in May, di-di twins. It's my first pregnancy so that's all I know. smile.gif

In some aspects I'm holding up ok, for example no heartburn, no reflux. Other things are not so cool: I still have nausea sometimes, in 30+ weeks, although the vomiting stopped at 23 weeks.

My activity level is zero, pretty much. A month and a half ago the symphysis pubis pain started, and two weeks later, the stabbing hip pain. It was awful and felt like I needed a hip replacement. So I don't walk much every day. Physical therapy helped. Also, I think, it depends on hormone surges - some days have a lot of breast pain, nausea, fatigue, and hip pain. Other days are not so bad. It comes and goes in waves, I figured it out by now that the strategy should be resting and waiting.

Lack of mobility was a nasty surprise, but I didn't expect to be running marathons or rock-climbing, I'm just happy that I'm at home and still pregnant, no premature labor or anything. Modest goals - no disappointment. smile.gif We bought a very compact kitchen trolley for the living room and I stock it full, so I don't have to go to the kitchen for every small snack or drink. The trolley is sitting next to the breastfeeding / relaxing chair, I think it will be handy for the breastfeeding time, too.

I do want to go to the pool, maybe next week.

I wanted to re-organize and declutter our household to have less stuff and therefore less opportunity for mess, but it's really hard to declutter and re-structure when I can't walk much. I didn't get it done the first 2 trimesters - during the first trimester, it was fatigue and nausea. If I started moving, the nausea worsened immediately. The second trimester, I was working and so tired, it was pretty much survival mode for the workday and nothing done afterwards. So I'm disappointed about that, but what can one do.

At least I did most of my baby shopping on eBay, so no fatigue and dizziness from running around the baby stores - I'm happy about that.

The latest development is that I'm so thirsty, I have to wake up four times a night to drink a full glass of water. (I've done the GD test a month ago and passed it with flying colors.) So far the internets say it's normal to be so thirsty. But getting out of bed each time is a pain, 7 lbs of babies are heavy. smile.gif

#6 of 92 Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wanted to re-organize and declutter our household to have less stuff and therefore less opportunity for mess, but it's really hard to declutter and re-structure when I can't walk much. I didn't get it done the first 2 trimesters

this is me also.. I was hoping DH would do it but hes been busy with work.. and the first trimester I was so sick (food poisoning then pnuemonia) I basically did nothing but try to survive and take care of DS. It was exhausting.

#7 of 92 Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM

I am expecting di/di twins in September.  These will be #4 and #5 for us, and #2 and #3 were twins who are now 14 months old.  To be honest, this pregnancy has been so different because I am so busy!!  I don't have time to feel sick or tired with two toddlers running around!  I did have a lot fo nausea and fatigue that finally seems to be letting up (thank god!).  This time around we don't really need to shop for much but we are trying to finish our basement and finding time for that has been a challenge. 

DoubleDouble - awesome idea with the kitchen trolley!  I always had water and healthy snacks next to my breastfeeding spot cause MAN did I spend a lot of time there!!! 

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#8 of 92 Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

ok if mamalovex3 can have 2 sets of twins, I cannot complain about having 1!!!! How do you do it? I mean, really? I can barely handle 1 toddler and the idea of having twins is keeping me up at night.. what is your secret? :)

#9 of 92 Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM

Well, tbh, if we had really thought that having twins again was a real possibility, I think we would have waited longer,  I'm going to have 4 babies under 2!!  I still feel overwhelmed at the thought of it.  As for how do you do it...I'll let you know when we get there! lol  One one hand, we have been through it already and have a reasonable idea of what to expect...only, that's what's freaking me out!

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#10 of 92 Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM

ithappened, I'd love a twins DDC! I have so many questions! I am still really early on, 10 weeks, and feeling a bit nervous so I haven't been posting too much yet. It's been a long road for us to get here. My EDD is mid-October, and my twins are di-di, though my OB referred me for an integrated scan in part to help determine if they're dz or mz. I go in 2 weeks...but I wish it were tomorrow. My last scan was just shy of 8 weeks and I need reassurance!

Otherwise, the m/s and fatigue is definitely worse than with my singleton. It started earlier and is just more extreme all around. I already feel like I've been sick forever! I am so happy to be pg I don't mean to complain, but it has definitely been challenging. Does anyone have the problem with waking up super thirsty but then feeling sick after drinking? It seems like I hit a wall at 5am when my mouth is so dry I can't swallow, but drinking water makes me extremely nauseous. I also try to eat some crackers then if I can. I had a bad night last night and I just know I'm going to be out of commission all day today...yesterday I managed to take DS out for a picnic lunch and a whole two hours at the park at least.

mamalove, do twins run in your family? They do in mine and I was told my chances of having a repeat set now that I'm in my thirties is pretty high.

I am pretending not to hear all this talk of being wiped out all pg long. I am counting on some second tri energy to clean up the horrific mess that my house has degenerated into. ;)

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#11 of 92 Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM

They say that with twin pregnancy, there is no such thing as 2nd trimester energy. For me, it certainly was true. greensad.gif But... I did not count on anything, and it's easier that way. If things go well, it's a bonus. If not... Still nauseous at 31 weeks - oh well, what can you do. Low expectations are key to satisfaction! wink1.gif

#12 of 92 Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Crashing a bit, since my twins are out and grown bit, but... Two things I want to mention that helped a lot during my pregnancy:

I had trouble with water, too, so I would have a water bottle full of cranberry juice mixed with water by the bed. The little bit of sour helped it go down. This was what I drank during labor, too.

My husband would make quart mason jars full of smoothie (fruit, yogurt, protein powder, milk, sometimes avocado...he got creative) and freeze them. And every night I would put one by the side of the bed. When I woke up at 2AM starving, enough would be thawed that I could drink some (but it was still cold) and I could drink the rest in the morning.

#13 of 92 Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

They say that with twin pregnancy, there is no such thing as 2nd trimester energy.

oh man.. I was hoping I was just experiencing some short term fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinap View Post

My husband would make quart mason jars full of smoothie (fruit, yogurt, protein powder, milk, sometimes avocado...he got creative) and freeze them. And every night I would put one by the side of the bed. When I woke up at 2AM starving, enough would be thawed that I could drink some (but it was still cold) and I could drink the rest in the morning.

thats a great idea.. Ill have to remember that !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gozal View Post

I had a bad night last night and I just know I'm going to be out of commission all day today...yesterday I managed to take DS out for a picnic lunch and a whole two hours at the park at least.

I can relate. A few nights this week (DH be away all week) I was so exhausted by 7pm or so Id just make sure all the child locks were 'on' and nothing my toddler could pull do and just lay in bed and hope he didnt destory the apartment.. (we live in a very very small apartment). . its horrible isn't it. There doesn't seem to be any tricks to cure the exhaustion either?

#14 of 92 Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozal View Post

mamalove, do twins run in your family? They do in mine and I was told my chances of having a repeat set now that I'm in my thirties is pretty high.

Believe it or not, no twins in our family on either side!  We get asked that a lot.

When I was pregnant with the girls I did have a small lull when the nausea calmed down a bit before the very very bad heartburn started.  This time around I am finally feeling less nauseous (now at 15 weeks...although I did throw up today so maybe I speak too soon!) and only have heartburn so far when I eat heartburn inducing food.

Haven't found anything that helps with the tiredness other than trying to nap whenever you can...which is much easier said than done when you have other children!

#15 of 92 Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 AM

I am pregnant with triplets, with a 'No Later Than' birth date of August 11th. I also have a set of twins who are almost 7 now. :) 

I would love to keep up with you all, its certainly a unique experience being pregnant with multiples!!!

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#16 of 92 Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

anyone suffering from headaches or a sore throat? I am still trying to figure out what to do about them. .

#17 of 92 Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 AM

momtoafireteam, woo-hoo, you're here!

ithappened, which kind of headaches?

#18 of 92 Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

anyone suffering from headaches or a sore throat? I am still trying to figure out what to do about them. .

My twins are over a year old now.  One of my first symptoms that their pregnancy was "different" was the migraines.  I've never had ocular migraines except during pregnancy, and even then, just one with my pregnancy just preceding the twins.  With the twins I was having daily migraines, and finally realized that I could control them by greatly increasing my water consumption.  I needed to drink at least a gallon and a half every day.  I filled a gallon jug and then would use that to help measure my consumption.  

Now, on a completely different note, I discovered last fall that I have a lot of food sensitivities.  One of my reactions is sore throat, lymph glands and headache after eating anything with table sugar in it.  The reaction sets in about an hour after consumption and then lasts a few hours before fading.  But sugar is in everything, so if I would have repeat exposure then the reaction would continue until I had enough time between exposures to clear it.  Don't know if that helps you, but I have found that I can be much more sensitive to triggers when pregnant, so it's something to consider.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#19 of 92 Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

dd- they are constant but headaches, they tend to hit really hard in the evenings or afternoons when I get tired.

I am wondering what sort of births everyone is planning?

So far (almost 22w) I have one baby transverse and one breech so I am preparing for a c-section as my only birthing option but also hoping I might be able to try a vaginal birth. . It seems twins come early but isn't always the case and I still can't figure out what causes the earlier births? DS was born at almost 42w naturally so I am expecting even if I am 'late' I will be 'on time'

#20 of 92 Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:

dd- they are constant but headaches, they tend to hit really hard in the evenings or afternoons when I get tired.

I get those too once in a while, I don't know what to do with those - sometimes I take paracetamol. I have no idea how to avoid them. Awhile ago, I got gallbladder-related headaches, those were different (the focus of pain is below the eyebrows - "headache over eyes"), I take artichoke powder sometimes to help the gallbladder when I eat very fatty foods.

#21 of 92 Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

how much are people gaining with their twin pregnancies? Im about 21/22w right now and at a 16-17lb gain. Wondering if that is on the high or normal or low side of things..

I also asked my doc about the headaches, she said they are normal between 18-24w, my blood pressure was also ok.. so lets see.

Oh! and she thinks I am having 1 girl and 1 boy (di/di) although the girl isn't 100% because 'just because I don't see a penis doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere' lurk.gif

Im anxious to know the genders mostly because I only have boys and for some reason having a girl seems really foreign for me.

how is everyone else doing?

#22 of 92 Old 03-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Hi Ladies, I'd like to join in too :)  I have Di/Di girls due mid July, although I wonder when they will actually arrive!

Wow, Mamalovex3 and momtoafireteam, multiple multiples!!  I can't even imagine.  I am like ithappened and am barely grasping to figure out how I'll do with a 2 year old and twin infants :)

rinap, I LOVE the idea of the frozen smoothies!!!  It's basically all I have craved with both pregnancies...now to get DH working on it!

AFM, first trimester was miserable with morning sickness which lasted to about 15 weeks.  Everything was going better until this week (24 weeks) and the exhaustion and body fatique/soreness has hit me like a ton of bricks.  I really need to work on taking it easy, but I have so many projects left I'd like to finish and I hate feeling like I am not doing enough for DD. 

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#23 of 92 Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

how much are people gaining with their twin pregnancies? Im about 21/22w right now and at a 16-17lb gain. Wondering if that is on the high or normal or low side of things..

I posted in another thread about the weight goals and my own experience. There are a few quotes about food and gaining from Dr. Luke's book in my post, I don't want to duplicate them here.

She mentions these weight gain targets:  "for 20 weeks: Singletons 12 lbs, Twins 25 lbs, Triplets 35 lbs."

I think the goal is to pad on the pounds before the 3rd trimester. I've found it true that it's harder to gain weight in the end of pregnancy, I don't know why. The "starving" feeling is gone, and I don't get enough activity to stimulate the appetite. And the stomach space is shrinking. I eat a lot, but the latest gain is mostly water weight, the swelling is noticeable, I bought compression knee-highs.

~Adorkable~ posted in the same thread that in the end of pregnancy, the babies kept gaining and she started losing weight, the book mentions that too.

#24 of 92 Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I am wondering what sort of births everyone is planning?

So far (almost 22w) I have one baby transverse and one breech so I am preparing for a c-section as my only birthing option but also hoping I might be able to try a vaginal birth. . It seems twins come early but isn't always the case and I still can't figure out what causes the earlier births? DS was born at almost 42w naturally so I am expecting even if I am 'late' I will be 'on time'

The babies still have a lot of time to move around!  At my 20w ultrasound (last time) my girls were changing positions a lot, and I actually had two footling breech babies in the ultrasound that they sent to my doc who informed me that I would obviously need a c-section.  At 38 weeks I had two vertex babies and a natural unmedicated vaginal delivery.  Just to give you some hope :)

I think some of the earlier birth comes from the added weight and pressure on the cervix...the body can only take so much!

I've gained 5 lbs so far and I'm nearly 16 weeks.  Last time around (I feel like a broken record saying that, sorry!), I lost weight in the first trimester and then gained it back in the second and ended up gaining about 35 lbs total.  I found that between nausea and m/s I just couldn't put anything on in the first tri but was able to eat more in the second...and less as I got huge and had much less room for food!

#25 of 92 Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM

I love this thread!

I flew from Chicago to Los Angeles for spring break yesterday, and it was rough. I was so uncomfortable, I had heartburn, I was thirsty but then had to get up every 30 min, which my copassengers LOVED, my lower back was killing me, etc. Now that I'm here i feel great, and went to a restorative yoga class tonight that was wonderful and relaxing.

I've been feeling movement, but mainly on the lower right part of my abdomen/uterus. Maybe because that is an area without placenta? Pretty consistent kicks and swipes there, but not much of anything anywhere else. At my last scan thats where Baby A was, so I'm trying not to worry too much about the seeming lack of movement from baby B...

My 20 week scan will be April 26 and i cant wait to find out what combination of boys/girls I'm having. joy.gif
#26 of 92 Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

I fly at 24 weeks from Frankfurt to Philadelphia with my toddler in tow. Im really nervous and then I fly back at 26 weeks to Frankfurt.. this reminds me to call the airline and get isle seats :)

#27 of 92 Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Bumping this up...

Support belt + Suspenders = Happiness. I can feel the weight lifting off my poor pelvis bones. smile.gif  Dh says I look like Super Mario.

Nausea and vomiting - not cool. Really, in the 9th month?

Blood pressure 145/95 all of a sudden - very not cool. It used to be 125/80, 115/75, around that.

How is everyone else doing?

#28 of 92 Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

Bumping this up...

Support belt + Suspenders = Happiness. I can feel the weight lifting off my poor pelvis bones. smile.gif  Dh says I look like Super Mario.

Nausea and vomiting - not cool. Really, in the 9th month?

Blood pressure 145/95 all of a sudden - very not cool. It used to be 125/80, 115/75, around that.

How is everyone else doing?

With the vomiting, are you staying hydrated?  It might effect your BP like that.  Sorry for your discomfort.  Not long, now!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#29 of 92 Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 PM

You are right! I was out to see the doctor and probably didn't get enough to drink, hence being sick again. I get enough water when I'm at home. I can get nauseous but I thought getting truly sick was long gone. I'd better watch the water intake when I go for another doctor's appointment... But the BP was taken before I got dehydrated, so that's the scary part. I don't like those numbers. greensad.gif

#30 of 92 Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I just landed in Frankfurt this morning on the red eye from the US.. survived the flight with toddler and DH in tow (amazingly DH was more to deal with then DS).

I am doing ok. I am about 26w now.. having a lot of BHs and noticed if I eat the wrong things I tend to feel sort of dizzy or shaky after, which is a bit concerning. Hoping the BHs are just that and not prelabor.. we will see.

Ive been having bouts of nausea as well, so perhaps it comes with twins? I have no idea.

Question: how many of you are planning a natural birth vs. a scheduled c-s? and do you mind if I ask which you are choosing and why?

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page