What was your prenatal monitoring protocol? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my first OB visit this week, and was told that I'd be seen monthly until 16 weeks, then every other week, then towards the end (I can't remember now which week) once a week. I'm also going to start having u/s to measure my cervix in the mid-second tri. And for my first tri screening, I was referred to a hospital for an Integrated u/s (rather than the nuchal transluscency u/s which my practice does standard for singeltons, at a different hospital). 

How does this compare to your protocol? Were you happy with yours? Too much? Not enough? I am going to ask about growth scans, which the OB didn't mention. 

I was initially considering traveling far for midwife care rather than OB, but that Dr. Luke book (which I mostly, but don't entirely, like) has me second-guessing: should I be in MFM?  

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read the Dr. Luke book and my prenatal care was really lax in comparison.  The thing is, everyone's situation is different and calls for different things.  I had an OB, but he was very experienced with multiples pregnancies.   Plus, it was my 7th pg, and I had an excellent track record for all pgs and births (well, one birth was a little scary, but no interventions, so considered normal).   BTW, I have been extremely blessed, I did nothing anyone would consider special or extraordinary but had such wonderfully normal outcomes. 

As far as my care went, I had an u/s at ten weeks due to a concern about previous xray early in the pg and that's when twins were found.  I went to dr once a month until 26 wks, then, twice a month until 32 wks, then once a wk after that.  I had a u/s at 20wks and 32 wks.  All the other usual tests.  Had babies right after 39th week.  Never had any special u/s or anything.  Aside from a bad case of bronchitis, nothing special happened with my health.  In my case, I think there was no reason to have more frequent visits, more thorough u/s, etc.  In the beginning of the pg my dr did say that if did't have the history I have, had other health issues, etc. he would def had a different plan for me.  I asked because of the Dr. Luke book. 

If you are wondering why, ask the dr.  If they don't want to discuss it or get huffy, then now would be a good time to find someone else, if possible.  It's your health and your babies, you have the right to know. 

BTW, when I read books on multiples, I tried to maintain some objectivity because frankly the anecdotes can scare you witless.  Arm yourself with the knowledge offered, but remember who you are and how it really relates to you.  And absolutely follow the nutrition advice!  LOL

Tags
Parenting Multiples
User Tag List