Twins talking, or not talking as the case may be... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so my twins are 15 months now and really dont have any words. they babble a lot and it is clear to me that they think they are talking, but there is really not clearly particular sounds that mean particular things yet. they have a mamamamamamama type call of despair when they are bummed out, but no clear mama or dada said to us. i think my girl may have said banana the other day, but if thats what she said i think that his her first real word (we say banana to her a LOT as a running joke from a pixar short film we saw)  

they stay home with me and have a few play dates but not a lot of them, and rarely interact with older talkitive kids. Since we are military and in a town that is relatively new to us, we don't have friends that come over or such. we visit family every 2 months or so and they get talked to a lot more there than home.

I'm just worried that i dont talk to them enough, i have to really remind myself to talk during the days. And they are such content kids and play with each other so well, there can be a few hours thru out a day that they dont really even pay attention to me, i can sit there and read a book and they just run around the room and play their own games and such.  and for two people that used to love to read so much dh and I have really not read to them that much, i feel the worst about this part. but they grab and tear books so bad that I'm limited to board books still and my girl wants to read them herself and often gets really pushy if i try to be a part of her "book time", she will look at them all day.

how much of this is a twin thing?

how much of it is me failing to talk enough to them or failing to read to them?

what do i do to work on it?

when do i get worried?

UPDATES IN POST #21 & #23

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#2 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Adorkable - I don't know about the twin thing, and I'm not a child development expert, but I will share my neice's story. She wasn't talking at 2, and while her doctor was obviously worried, her parents weren't. They knew all the lights were on. She was doing a lot of sign language communication (on her own initiative -- they didn't teach her) and a lot of mumbling and grunting (sounds weird, but it was totally cute). Well, she started talking up a storm basically all of a sudden at around 26 months. And not only that, she insisted on being taught how to read and write shortly thereafter (her parents tried to dissuade her as they are laid back Waldorfy types). So now she's a four year old with incredible verbal skills who can read and write (though her spelling is atrocious, ha ha). I know that anecdotes aren't so helpful, but my impression with a lot of this development stuff is that, if you feel in your gut that everything is ok, it usually is.

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#3 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 AM

First, I just want to let you know I appreciate how active you are on the boards.  My twins are very close to yours in age, and I enjoy following their progress.

I have older kids, who all seemed to have more words than my twins at this age.  It makes me fret the same way you do, wondering if its me, or if they already have all the "social" interaction they require just by being a twin.  My boys really have no desire to walk either, which surprises me because they've been standing up next to things for so long.  I know they can bear the weight.

However, as the poster above mentioned, my gut tells me all the lights are on, and for whatever reason, they are taking their time with some of these developmental milestones.  I'm itching to have them running around and talking.

Let me know if you find some fun things to do that seem to help.  I have a friend who helps in a speech program, and she said animal sounds are great for first learners.  I do read a lot of books with them, and for whatever reason, they seem to be most responsive to verbal things/sign language-type-stuff in their highchairs while I'm feeding them.

#4 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 PM

Have you seen this video of twins "talking"? They don't have words that we use, but they clearly are talking! Do yours do anything like that?

A while ago, I read a story on some other forums about triplets - the mom took them to a neurologist and mentioned they didn't talk. The neuro said "Oh, they talk just fine among themselves, I noticed one looking at the car outside the window and he 'chirped' to others - they came running to the window to look at the car".

Maybe yours are doing the same thing - communicating, but in a small circle, and they'll include you and everyone else eventually?

#5 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM

The key at 15 months is are they communicating? It sounds like they at least communicate to each other since they are so engaged in their play. Maybe they don't seem to have a reason to communicate with anyone else yet. 

If you really think about it, I am sure you will find ways they are communicating with you too. How do they signal they are hungry, or "all done"? I would just keep "chattering" with them throughout the day. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#6 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 PM

My girls are nearly 15 months and both have a small vocabulary "mama, dada, bye, dog, more" and maybe a few others but I definitely have one who speaks a lot more than the other.  That is to say that one uses a lot more actual words and the other usually communicates more by shrieking and grunting lol

I don't think you're "failing" at anything - I'd be glad if my girls gave me a half hour of time to do something while they amused each other!  I would make a point of talking to them, even if it's just a running commentary on what you're doing - "Shall we get a snack?  SHould we have a banana or an apple?  Great, a nice yellow banana!  Let's peel it..." and so on.  It might feel silly at first but it really is how kids learn language.  I would also try to set aside some time to look at books - my girls have been very interested in the touchy feely types and the lift a flap ones. 

I think the point where I would worry is if they don't seem to understand you - at this point, they should start to understand and recognize words, even if they aren't saying them yet. 

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#7 of 26 Old 03-30-2012, 02:40 AM

My boys are a little older than yours and also late(r) talkers. They didn't say much more than mama, dada and ball (with the sign and sound "bao") by maybe 18 mos. Just recently they're getting more words, like from 20-22 mos. So by my anecdata, it should be fine! They'll learn words just fine. Hey, Einstein didn't talk till he was three, right? Don't worry about it Mama.

And seriously? For HOURS they'll let you relax? Wanna swap babysitting?

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#8 of 26 Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 AM

It sounds like they at least communicate to each other since they are so engaged in their play.

#9 of 26 Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 AM

I think the point where I would worry is if they don't seem to understand you - at this point, they should start to understand and recognize words, even if they aren't saying them yet.

#10 of 26 Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies, I'm not one to worry too much about milestones, but i have had the nagging feeling that I'm not giving them the verbal feedback that they should be getting each day. since i am usually the only one they see from waking till about 5pm and then their in bed at 8, i fell a pretty big responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilali View Post

First, I just want to let you know I appreciate how active you are on the boards.  

thanks, i appreciate how active the boards are in my life! it can get pretty lonely being a SAHM in a new city where you dont really now anyone.

Quote:

My boys really have no desire to walk either, which surprises me because they've been standing up next to things for so long.  I know they can bear the weight.

my boy has no interest in walking even though my girl has been doing it for about 2 months now. he has always been about a month behind her in other milestones (rolling,sitting, crawling, pulling up) and the later the milestone the larger the gap is becoming between them, that has actually been part of my worry, he seems to be slipping more and more. now i of course know that both of them are well within a normal window for everything. and he is just so laid back in general, I'm sure it is just his personality. clearly he sees no reason to walk yet.

Quote:

Let me know if you find some fun things to do that seem to help.  I have a friend who helps in a speech program, and she said animal sounds are great for first learners.  I do read a lot of books with them, and for whatever reason, they seem to be most responsive to verbal things/sign language-type-stuff in their highchairs while I'm feeding them.

as for cool tricks to help with walking, my boy usually just goes limp if you try to hold him on his feet (he pulls up on his own with no problem what so ever and actually climbs like a moutian goat!) but acts like a peaceful protester getting hauled off if i hold him up and work on walking skills. but way i have noticed is that he loves to dance with me, so i hold his hands and we dance together and i slowly walk him as we boogie down! he cracks up and will do it for a really long time. i think its the trick with him for sure.   

the extra cute thing is that the moment he gets even close to standing free of things or maybe taking a step, his sister rushes over really excited and wants to cheer him on and hug him. this is of course not really productive to him staying upright, but it is the cutest thing in the world.

and yeah high chair time is very vocal time in my house too, they really like to tell me about their food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emaya View Post
Well, she started talking up a storm basically all of a sudden at around 26 months. And not only that, she insisted on being taught how to read and write shortly thereafter (her parents tried to dissuade her as they are laid back Waldorfy types). 

as silly as this sounds this is kinda one of my issues but in the other way, i always figured that i was going to be the mom that worked daily on words and numbers and stuff at a early age. i had a friend that had her kids about 8 years ago and we put name tags on nearly every big thing in the house when she was pretty little, she loved it and would ask all the time about anything that was not tagged. it was never pushed on her, but readily available. she was reading quite well at 3 (probably mostly from memory but it was amazing how much joy it gave her)  so being swamped with the twins and being so on my own in this new town away from my "village" i feel like i have dropped the ball on a lot of the ways i want to parent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

Have you seen this video of twins "talking"? They don't have words that we use, but they clearly are talking! Do yours do anything like that?

Maybe yours are doing the same thing - communicating, but in a small circle, and they'll include you and everyone else eventually?

yeah mine clearly talk to each other a bit, not as solid as that, but for sure they do, specially they call out to each other when separated. one will talk to the other they whole time they are getting their diaper changed i the next room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post

The key at 15 months is are they communicating? It sounds like they at least communicate to each other since they are so engaged in their play. Maybe they don't seem to have a reason to communicate with anyone else yet. 

If you really think about it, I am sure you will find ways they are communicating with you too. How do they signal they are hungry, or "all done"? I would just keep "chattering" with them throughout the day. 

they have not really picked up on signs that much either, though we are kinda half ass about it too. but i always use "all done" and they dont seem to get it all all. we have just used a handful, but "change" "eat" "more" "all done" are signed to them on a semi regular basis. with the exemption of maybe "more" none have been signed back.

they are really engaged with each other during play, anyone that says 15 month olds dont play "with" each other but rather just engage in parallel play needs to spend a day at my house, there is no way they would be doing anywhere near the same thing without each other.  they do play be themselves , but then get board and go see what the other ones is up to and get involved in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovex3 View Post
I would make a point of talking to them, even if it's just a running commentary on what you're doing - "Shall we get a snack?  SHould we have a banana or an apple?  Great, a nice yellow banana!  Let's peel it..." and so on.  It might feel silly at first but it really is how kids learn language.  I would also try to set aside some time to look at books - my girls have been very interested in the touchy feely types and the lift a flap ones. 

yeah i do feel silly talking to them and i guess that is just something i need to get over, i kinda force myself to do it. in part i also think I'm hitting a bit of a wall of burnout with twin mommydom in general. i need a day off or a few morning or something, 15 months straight with no babysitter or family members has taken its toll. i am just not as engaged with them thru out the day after day as i want to be.

oh yes dad brought home some touchy feel books and thy luuuuuuuv them. 

im not that sure how much they understand me, I'm not even that sure how much they know their names really. that is part of the worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaV View Post
Hey, Einstein didn't talk till he was three, right? Don't worry about it Mama.
And seriously? For HOURS they'll let you relax? Wanna swap babysitting?

well einstein is not a good example, he may have been brilliant but was also a deeply troubled person in a lot of ways and had a very hard time with simple human tasks his whole life.

but yeah they will play together on their own in the two large rooms that we have fully baby proofed for up to a hour at a time, mostly right after they wake in the morning or nap time. it may be one of the great accomplishments as a mom that i can look to.  i have always give them hands off time, sometimes sitting there and reading to myself other times sitting in the next room over and letting them have their space. it is amazing how they learn to work things out different when I'm not there, they fit over things less, fuss less if they stumble and genuinely seem to like it.  even when I'm not in the same room they can walk right over tot he gate between the rooms and ask for me and do when they want something, but its amazing how often they dont bother and do it on their own.  this has made me very happy and does make me feel like I'm doing things well in some respects.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 26 Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
but acts like a peaceful protester getting hauled off 

ROTFLMAO.gif

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#12 of 26 Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

yeah i do feel silly talking to them and i guess that is just something i need to get over, i kinda force myself to do it. in part i also think I'm hitting a bit of a wall of burnout with twin mommydom in general. i need a day off or a few morning or something, 15 months straight with no babysitter or family members has taken its toll. i am just not as engaged with them thru out the day after day as i want to be.

oh yes dad brought home some touchy feel books and thy luuuuuuuv them. 

im not that sure how much they understand me, I'm not even that sure how much they know their names really. that is part of the worry.

I hit a really rough patch from about 13 months - 15 months where I really felt on the edge of some kind of breakdown...just to make you feel normal :)  I see my husband with them and he is usually much more engaged and exciting than I am...but then, he only sees them a few hours a day.  It definitely is challenging to try to be on the level with two toddlers 24-7, so cut yourself some slack there!  I didn't mean to criticize, if it came off that way.  You are amazing for surviving this far with so little help, seriously.  A lot of the twin mamas I know in real life have a lot of help - mother's helpers and babysitters and live-in nannies...so kudos to you for doing so well without all those extras!

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#13 of 26 Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM

without reading all replies (running short of time), the best thing you can do for language acquistion is read aloud to them.  yes, even what you would consider adult materials.  in fact, that is better.  if they want to sit with you, or try to take your book, give them their own.  then just read aloud.  we all learn by hearing other's talk.  you said you will read while they play, then read aloud.  just because they aren't sitting with you doesn't mean they are not listening.  also, if you are noy feeling talkative, books on tape are good, though a live human voice is better for language aquisition purposes.

#14 of 26 Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovex3 View Post

I hit a really rough patch from about 13 months - 15 months where I really felt on the edge of some kind of breakdown...just to make you feel normal :)  I see my husband with them and he is usually much more engaged and exciting than I am...but then, he only sees them a few hours a day.  It definitely is challenging to try to be on the level with two toddlers 24-7, so cut yourself some slack there!  I didn't mean to criticize, if it came off that way.  You are amazing for surviving this far with so little help, seriously.  A lot of the twin mamas I know in real life have a lot of help - mother's helpers and babysitters and live-in nannies...so kudos to you for doing so well without all those extras!

thank you for this reality check, i think I'm dealing with the very same thing as i have nearly zero time away from them their whole lifes. this is not really by choice as i just dont prescribe to the martyrdom of motherhood and do believe people can over do AP very badly. it is just a result of moving 3000 miles from nearly everyone i know at 21 weeks preggo and being a bit neurotic about having strangers in my house to help clean or do child care.  i have been trying and failing at getting a massage since i moved into this house at said 27 weeks preggo, heck i was unpacking still when i went into labor. my hubby has the week off as he prepares to leave us on a army job tasking for a month, this morning he told me to go find a massage since he is filly available during business hours to take the kids.  i know i will be able to engage the kids a ton more if i could just get a few hours away from them from time to time, it seems strange but i think we all see the wisdom in it at some point. my point was about 2 months ago.

i am about to move into my my grandmothers house for the duration of my husbands absence to help her move out of the home she has been in for 60 years, not exactly a vacation i was hoping for, but i will have other folks around a lot to interact with the kids, so maybe it will help them and me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofchaos View Post

without reading all replies (running short of time), the best thing you can do for language acquistion is read aloud to them.  yes, even what you would consider adult materials.  in fact, that is better.  if they want to sit with you, or try to take your book, give them their own.  then just read aloud.  we all learn by hearing other's talk.  you said you will read while they play, then read aloud.  just because they aren't sitting with you doesn't mean they are not listening.  also, if you are noy feeling talkative, books on tape are good, though a live human voice is better for language aquisition purposes.

i used to read my email out loud from my iPad to them when they were tiny (the iPad is too exciting to them i can't make it obvious i have it in the room with them or they want to touch it now) but the idea is a good one, i should just read the magazine articles i am usually reading around them out loud. i guess i have always tended to be quiet because i valued that they were learning to play with each other and not needing adult entertainment 24/7.  

as with everything a bit of balance right?

thanks gals, i do doubt myself a lot. mostly i had a lot of ideas about what kind of parent i wanted to be and the twins threw a lot of that for a loop right out the gate. being in a support vacuum hurt a lot more of it. my general exhaustion has continued to pick away at the rest.  frankly at 8 months we actually started think seriously about have 1 or 2 more kids, now at 15 months (and us being 37 and 41) i am thinking realisticly of DH get a vasectomy.

#15 of 26 Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 AM

I just want to pop in and pat you on the back!  You're doing great.  My kids have covered the range from early talking to late.  15 mo seems a bit early to be worried, but I understand how it feels when your kids may be lagging behind the curve.  My twins are 13 months in a couple days.  One occasionally mimics exactly what you are saying, "hi," "dada," and a few other things, but nothing I would call spontaneous or meaningful.  The other one, nada, nothing at all.  

I'm not terribly concerned.  Once they do start talking, you can't shut them up. LOL  Enjoy the relative peace and quiet for a few more weeks. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#16 of 26 Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

yeah i should focus on enjoying that peace and relative quiet!

the only thing that still keeps me a bit worried is how they dont seem to really know their names, i mean if we talk to them they will often turn around, but i dont feel like there is any response difference from us using their name over any other word.

the other thing I'm sure is causing this is that their best friend that is a week older (so 5 weeks gestationally) is responding to two different languages already and showed off his broad knowledge of what sounds animals make at are last playdate, it was soooo cute and just kinda caught me, already wondering about their names, off guard 

thanks for the little cheering section, sometimes we just need to do that for each other i guess

#17 of 26 Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM

it seemed to me that my twins took a lot longer to learn their names.  I think this is because sometimes they would get called the other's name, and something to do with always being together and hearing their names often being said together.  IDK.  does their hearing seem to be OK?

#18 of 26 Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

yeah their hearing seems very good and has been checked once at birth and another time at about 6 weeks since my boy failed in one ear at birth (they assume due to vernix in the ear or something benign like that) the recheck was flying colors.

#19 of 26 Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM

I'm one with in-utero twins, so I don't know how helpful I can be, but I just wanted to say also that I think you're doing an absolutely great job language-wise, Adorkable. (And I also appreciate all your helpful advice on this board - seriously, Orgain has changed my life!!) The reason I say this is, and I know this is anecdotal, is the langauge community I come from. I speak a language that is a TINY minority language in the US. I wasn't born here, but my sister was. We didn't speak any English in the house, and we lived in a tight-knit community. She didn't attend any type of preschool until age 3. We actually didn't ever hear her speak in English at all, but when she went to preschool, she just knew it. She picked it up from the environment (and we rarely had the TV on in the house). It really was just from going to the park, going to the supermarket, and so on. I know this isn't necessarily true for all minority language speakers, but it is a dramatic example. While all the research points to the ineffectiveness of non-interactive language instruction for young children (like videos and CDs), there is a large body of research that demonstrates that babies only need real-life exposure to language to learn it, not intensive training. I truly don't think you need to worry that you are not exposing your kiddos to enough language. I don't mean to minimize your concern, and it is something I would probably mention to the ped at their next appointment. But I also think that what you are doing is wonderful and not at all lacking.

I will add, that I am myself a voracious reader and right when my son was your twins' age, I felt discouraged about how little I seemed to be reading to him. For one, he was uninterested in what I was reading to him. He loved looking at books himself, or together with me if we just talked about the pictures. But he would just talk over me or walk away if I read the text. And then, I did not tend to read to him because he responded so poorly. But it really was just a phase, and a normal one, I think. We ended up talking about pictures a lot and we did a lot of singing. A little later he started to really enjoy rhyming stories and now he loves stories and books. It can be hard to convince him to slow down for a story still, but once we get started, he could listen for hours. I still feel like I often don't read as much as I should with him. So I am going to guess that you have similarly high standards and in fact you are doing great!

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#20 of 26 Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I come from the opposite side. My boys had two-word sentences at 11 months and were walking by then too. They had what I called "twin speak" from the get go, communicating as early as 4 months that I could tell, probably earlier than that that I couldn't. They spoke twin-speak to each other almost constantly and had a vocabulary of about 10 words that they used on me to get their needs met. We also live in Europe, so their first language in the home is English, but at 18 months when they went to part-time daycare was not. They learned their second (or third) language very quickly and even the daycare workers said that they talked to each other in twin speak for most of the day when they were playing together. I think that they were playing off each other and challenging each other, even now 4 years later they are still challenging and pushing each other to do better and faster.

My daughter on the other hand, at two years old has a language delay and is in a special needs language based program for under threes. Because my boys were so verbal so early on I noticed a difference. I had her assessed at 18 months and then again 6 months later. I talked to her from the beginning like I do with all my kids. I also come from a childcare background, so it was second nature to me to have a running commentary on what I was doing. Even at the grocery store when she was six weeks old and sleeping I still talked to her. Now I find that even when I don't have kids with me, I still talk out loud :-) I know that she understands most of what we say to her, so there is some understanding, but she needs a little help talking. The daycare has really helped and she is coming out with new words every day, which is nice.

It just depends on the kids and your gut feeling. If you think that everything is fine, then don't worry about it. I always had music playing in the background or had the TV on a child-friendly channel in the room that they were playing. I think that really helped too.

Good luck!

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#21 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

i wanted to update this thread, both because it is a really big thing in my life and because we are taking some steps.

updates:

• twins 20m now and still no words at all, except "ball" and the occasional mimicked word but that is usually a rare one time thing.  this holds for both of them.
  • btw the my son finally walked at 16.5 months, nearly 3 months after my girl, but he just stood up one day and walked perfectly across the room, only stopping to turn around and clap with daddy who was cheering him on. it was all pretty funny cause he clapped for himself every time he walked for the next few days!
  • today i had both kids hearing checked fully, they passed all 3 types of test they do with completely flying colors, no concerns what so ever.  i was starting to rally think this was the issue, fluid or something. but while i would have loved a easy answer, i would rather have healthy twins, so I'm thrilled.
  • 10 months of staying with family this last spring, then getting talk to all day long by tons of folks and a whole summer traveling and them being babysat by a talkative grandma and all, did not change the lack of talking at all, that kinda makes me feel better that it is not just that i dont talk to them enough, i really feel they get talked to a lot the last 4-5 months and that is not the big issue any longer
  • it is soooo clear that their receptive language is great, and that they really have all the concepts in their heads well. they clearly are frustrated that it is not coming out. 
  • if someone were to tell me that they were talking perfectly, just in a different language i didn't know i would agree, their tone and inflection and intensity when they babble about everything is so speech like.
  • but if one more person tells me how all of that is a great sign and they will burst forth with whole sentences next week I'm going to strangle them, its been like this for a few months now.

so what I'm doing:

• now that he hearing test is done i would like to rule out other big things and then focus on what i CAN do
  • i have set them up with early intervention in my county, they had their first intake visit and will get their full evaluation next week.
  • we start nursery school next week, its a transitional program that i go with them till Jan and then they go on their own, i think this socialization will be great for them, we had a social at the school last week to meet and greet and they had a blast off playing with the kids. kids that all do talk at least a bit and adults that cant read their minds.
  • i have gone back to sign language big time and they have taken to it amazingly, they know probably 6-8 signs in just a week and actually asked my for things thru sign and were beyond the moon thrilled when it worked. i just got a second Signing Time dvd and we are watching it together, they are enthralled.

#22 of 26 Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM

I know it's been awhile since this thread was active, but I have 12 1/2 month old B/G twins who aren't saying any words.  I guess they make noise and babble but I am starting to get concerned.  They use consonant noises sometimes but mostly they make "uhh" noises or laugh.  I actually have them scheduled for an Early Intervention intake this week even though I'm told they usually won't do anything for speech until 15-18 months at the earliest.  Adorkable, how are your twins doing?

#23 of 26 Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

my twins are doing super, they just turned two and have a huge handful of words and more important than that they do their best to copy the words we say to them and really seem to hear when they get it close. my sone was so thrilled to conquer "apple" and finally make it a crystal clear two syllable word that his face just lit up and he kept saying it to himself, clearly happy with the sound and it was his word of the day for many hours.

strangely the still have not really bothered to say mama, but they say dada al the time, so im ok with that.  we will keep working with them, but what folks say about a word explosion when it is right for them, really does seem to hold true.

i also have kept up with the baby signing, they LOVE it and actually make up signs for things and crack themselves up doing it. i think it had helped them both in verbal speech and self confidence in communicating in vernal and would suggest it to anyone. both speech folks they have seen say that the large sign vocabulary they have is great for them and they always see faster grasping of the concept of words and names in babies that learn signs.

#24 of 26 Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM

I'm glad for you!  We had an early intervention intake this morning and they'll be evaluated in about 2 weeks.  I think my husband and I are going to start signing with them, though.  

#25 of 26 Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Was there a specific book or video you used for signing?

#26 of 26 Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

i use the Baby Signing Time videos adn both my kids and i really like them. one thing that was really funny was that the sign for the name of them "baby", "signing" & "time" was one of the first things they picked up and then they started asking to watch the videos by name!!

and once after our move it have been a long time since they had sen a video, i got o new one in the mail and set it on the counter, they could only see the edge and it was a different color from the one they knew, but they spazzed out and started signing the name again and asking for it.  a few days ago , by son seemed particularly frustrated by not knowing words for things and i noticed when he is thinking about it, he absent mindedly makes the gesture for "sign" as he ponders.  the videos clearly have had a big impact on them

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page