Homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, when we found out we were expecting, we hoped to do a homebirth this time around, having been through a lot of nonsense with the birth of out twin girls last year at the hospital.  Then, we find out we're having twins again, and homebirth went off the table.  However, at out last mw appointment, we asked if it was at all possible, and our midwife said that basically she would want us to be fully informed of all the risks and to take complete responsibility but she would (if all goes well and we have a good pregnancy and are full term, etc. etc.) do a homebirth.  So I am kind of surprised and shocked because I wasn't even thinking it was a possibility but now that it maybe is, I want to really look at our options and see what is best. 

If anyone did have a homebirth with twins and wants to share their experience, I would love to hear about it.  Specifically, what are the risks (as opposed to giving birth at the hospital)?  Are there good books anyone can recommend for me?  If you decided not to do a homebirth for twins, why not? 

Thanks!

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

ours were born at home, and i know of a growing number of twinsets being born at home since...both our girls were breech and all was awesome...i just read about a mom having hers vertex/breech and they were 8 and 9lbs!!

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM

I also would love to hear what others who have been there done that have to say. That being said, we are planning a homebirth with our girls. Reasons being we have a family doctor who is willing to be there as well as 3 other midwives. Also the girls are di-di, with completely separate placentas. Both are currently head down but only Baby A has to be for the doctor to attend. We also have to get to 37 weeks and I have to have an IV during labor because I'm GBS+. Other than that our doctor is fine with anything we want to do. I want a homebirth because I feel I am safest at home and the twins would have a healthy start, as long as nothing happens that would change those facts, obviously. I had a homebirth with our first DD and it was a great experience.

Do you know if your new twins are fraternal, identical, or what? That was a big deciding factor for me. If they had even shared a placenta I would have been too nervous to continue at home.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ours are di/di.  We've had two ultrasounds that confirm.  My midwife wouldn't consider it otherwise.  The biggest issue for me, I think, is that homebirth with twins doesn't happen here.  I'm near Ottawa, Canada, and while I have heard of some midwives who will do twin homebirths in Toronto, none of the midwives in Ottawa do.  So it would be a first for all of us.  My midwife has done twin births and I would have at least 3 midwives in attendance but I wonder if the lack of experience in twin homebirth might make everything riskier.  I have a lot of faith in my midwfe and she is very up to date on her research and very throrough but she's just never done a homebirth for twins. 

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Our homebirth was just shy of a horror story.  We had di/di, completely separate placentas, US showing them far away from the cervix.  Baby A's birth was fine, but both placentas came down right on top of the cervix as the uterus shrank.  Baby B made no move to come out.  When the midwives went in to do an exam to verify her position, it felt like a complete placenta previa.  They maneuvered around in between the placentas and discovered that B was jackknifed, with both head and feet presenting.  We (B and I) were bleeding quite heavily at this point.  It took a lot of maneuvering with both midwives attempting to extract B.  Ultimately, the midwife with lots of twin experience was able to get all the way up behind B's butt and pull and guide her out.  I basically birthed all of B and my midwife's arm, too.  Paramedics had been called, and arrived as B was being resus'd.  She was born with a 2 apgar and was quite pale from blood loss.  She always had a good heart rate, though and came around really quickly.  We were able to send the paramedics away.  We were literally in the backyard of the hospital, not even two short blocks away, but it really made no difference.  She wouldn't have made it if we'd had to transport.

I hate to be a downer, but these things are completely unpredictable.  I have had 6 other home births.  I wouldn't hesitate to home birth a singleton, but twins require a whole different level of risk assessment.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM

I didn't hesitate to have twins at home. In my mind, twins are just another aspect of normal birth. They're not *that* unusual in the grand scheme of things (1 in 80 pregnancies is spontaneous twins, I remember reading). I wasn't concerned about midwives delivering a breech baby, either, as breech delivery in the hands of an experienced practitioner is as safe (or safer) as a c-section. However, I am also lucky to live in an area where we have homebirth midwives experienced in both twin and breech deliveries. 

Honestly, I don't consider many of the hospital twin birth stories I read to be positive ones, and that is something that steeled my resolve. Having week-long or longer NICU stays and all sorts of problems with breastfeeding simply because doctors are more comfortable inducing rather than waiting for labor to begin is *not* a good outcome, in my opinion. The problems associated with late-term prematurity are real, and I don't consider having more than one baby in one's uterus a good excuse to automatically set that aside. After my first daughter's birth, I can't fathom spending my pregnancy and labor fighting for the smallest things, even more things than I would have to fight a hospital/doctor/nurses if I had a singleton. Being scared and stressed and uncomfortable makes for poor outcomes, and I wouldn't feel comfortable giving birth in a hospital for many reasons. 

This, of course, is a very personal decision. I think having experienced birth attendants is absolutely important, and I also feel that natural, vaginal birth is one of the best things that can happen for a baby unless there is no doubt that to do it would be harmful.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My twin homebirth was fantastic, but I am a touch humble about it.  Ours was never dangerous, but it was fortitously successful.  Had my original MW not have had to go on vacation mid-labor, leaving me with her better provided and more experienced back-up, I would have transferred and ended up with a surgical birth.  Of course, I was a first timer, so my labor dysfunction was mostly a function of that.  It was partially though a function of position, and because I was my MW's 43rd twin homebirth she was able to recognize the problem and solve it.

So I'm a huge advocate for di-di homebirths, and wouldn't do it any other way.  But be sure you have a good MW.  And the tricky thing to me (in either hospital or home) seems to be confident that when checking fetal heart-rates that you check both twins, not just one twice.  Though the difficulties I had with my long labor I was confident all along because I knew my twins were happy and calm.  Especially Baby B, whose sac had to be broken right before delivery.

Here's a link to my story if you're interested.  For the record, my original MW has since been discredited after some poor births.  I choose poorly and expect your MW would be much better.  But my guardian angel back-up MW has got to be one of the US's best.  Strange experience, but I've got an apples to apples comparison of bad care v. excellent.  Also, I expected to lose a lot of blood, going with family history.  So I took alfalfa religiously for weeks before birth, kept as healthy as I could, and wasn't surprised at all when I did hemorrage.  It was anticipated and managed at home.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/925854/twin-homebirth-in-dc-first-time-mom-great-outcome

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your replies.  I think the biggest concern I'm having as I'm reading is that in my mw's practice, this will be the 4th twin birth, period, and one of the previous ones was mine as well!  Our College of Midwives recommends hospital for multiple birth so I haven't found anyone local who has had a homebirth with twins and I doubt that I would be able to find a midwife with that kind of experience in an area where homebirth with twins usually isn't an option. 

So now I feel like we're back to square one as it seems the choice is between a homebirth with a very competent but unexperienced in terms of twin birth midwife or a hospital birth where I know I will have to be in an OR, have an IV, etc, etc. 

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Maybe you can beat the bushes for a more experienced MW, and keep your current one as an assistant.  My "back-up" MW drove 2 1/2 hours to get to us.  She gained her numbers by serving the Amish community in Pennsylvania.  Which is probably too far from you in Canada, but maybe you can do some research and find someone wonderful!

Experience really is important. 

If not, maybe you can negotiate for the birth you want in a hospital.  An uphill battle in the US, but I hope things are better with you!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

It's definitely something we're going to look into.  I know there are more experienced midwives in our practice, but not many take on twins period, much less would consider a homebirth.  We live outside the city as well, so I'm not sure how far midwives would be willing to travel...and my last labour lasted 3.5 hours from start to finish - so I'm not sure if we would feel comfortable with someone who was too far away. 

I keep going back and forth about it, good thing we still have a lot of time to think and research!

Tags
Parenting Multiples
User Tag List