Books and other resources for new to be twin mama - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

I just found out that we are expecting twins! I am
16 weeks and feeling like I've waded into a whole new world.

I need some information on twin pregnancy, and more specifically - how to avoid a cs, getting a twin vbac, twin HBAC, breastfeeding twins... NB care... Ahh!!

I am excited, but had a HBAC planned this time, and now have to find a new MW as mine can't do multiples. Can't wait to learn more about the twin process!

Thoughts, resources, and recommendations are appreciated! smile.gif

Thanks,
C
#2 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Congratulations!

I would definitely recommend Mothering Multiples by Karen Gromada.  It has great breastfeeding information and other twin info as well.  I bought some other twin books but didn't find them very helpful and a lot of them are pretty scary! 

I'm pregnant with my second set of twins and am looking into homebirth as well.  Let me know if you come across anything helpful/interesting.  It doesn't seem like there's much out there on homebirth with twins.

~Caitlyn~ likes this.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#3 of 17 Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Congrats!

Elizabeth Noble's book "Having Twins" is fantastic.  Very supportive of homebirth and natural birth with twins, which most other multiples books are not.  "Mothering Multiples" was already mentioned and that one is great too.  I also read Dr. Barbara Luke's nutrition book and found  it very helpful.

It's tough to find twin-specific information about VBAC/HBAC.  I had collected all of the research I could find when I was expecting my first set, but that was 6 years ago so I think my information is likely outdated.  There's another mom (not sure if she still posts here) that may have more current info.  She's on the Naturally Parenting Twins Facebook page and I think there are at least 3 of us there that had HBACs with our twins.

~Caitlyn~ likes this.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#4 of 17 Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM

I don't have twins myself, but I've also read "Mothering Multiples" since I'm a LLL Leader. I thought it was a really informative book, and I hope it is as helpful in reality as it looked in theory!

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#5 of 17 Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!

I joined the facebook group, and picked up both books!

Great resources, thank you!!!!!!

#6 of 17 Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Is the Barbara Luke book referred to called Program Your Baby's Health?

#7 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomebirthMama View Post

Is the Barbara Luke book referred to called Program Your Baby's Health?

No, When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy.

Gotta be careful with this book, though,it's kinda heavy handed with the idea that if you don't do things *right* aka her way, then you and your babies will suffer dire consequences. Yes, there are things we can do to be healthier and all, but when something undesirable occurs that doesn't mean it's all your fault. If you can keep that in mind while reading this book you'll be alright.  lol  

#8 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofchaos View Post

No, When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy.

Gotta be careful with this book, though,it's kinda heavy handed with the idea that if you don't do things *right* aka her way, then you and your babies will suffer dire consequences. Yes, there are things we can do to be healthier and all, but when something undesirable occurs that doesn't mean it's all your fault. If you can keep that in mind while reading this book you'll be alright.  lol  

Thanks. I'll have to see if my library can get it for me. I'm interested in the nutritional guidelines/recommendations for multiples. I know different sources probably have different guidelines, just like with any specific nutrition subject, and, really, any pregnancy subject.

#9 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM

The nutrition information in Dr. Luke's book was very good. My doctors borrowed from it extensively when working out my diet, as I was insulin dependant gestational diabetic.

One of the recommendations in the Luke book was to have help lined up for when the babies come home. It is very helpful if you have someone in the family (or are willing to pay someone) to come in and help with cooking, laundry, changing diapers, etc.

There is an EZ 2 nurse twin nursing pillow that I really liked. My boys nursed until 2 1/2. people may act like you're crazy for wanting to nurse twins, but it can be done.

I also used cloth diapers (mother ease) with my boys. again, that was "crazy" to many, but we made it work, and saved a bundle in the process. And, the diapers were used later with my singelton.

Having had both a twin pregnancy and a singleton pregnancy, I'll tell you that you are much more managed with a twin pregnancy. There are  two that demand the care provider's worry, and at least in my experience, they were a lot more worried about the babies than if I was happy with the number of non stress tests I had to come in for.  There are many more complications that can come up.  I had to make a goal for myself, and then let some of the details fall away. for me, I wanted "take home" babies-- ie, big enough to come home with me after delivery. That ment I didn't fight bed rest when it was prescribed, and didn't have a (big) fit when put on hospital bed rest as they tried to figure out why I was itching like crazy. or later, when they had to get my blood sugar under control.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#10 of 17 Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Red Pajama - You're making me feel at ease :) I can't imagine not breastfeeding my twins... I also would really like to CD. 

I'm also hoping for a VBAC this time, and we're not finding out the gender. 

My choices are really making people's heads spin... :) Gotta love MDC!

#11 of 17 Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM

Congrats!  My twins are 11 months and it is oh so much fun! 

I read all three of the "twin" books and I found Gromada's and Luke's most helpful.  Luke was great on the diet and her advice on taking it easy toward the end.  I carried my boys 38 weeks and i really think it was because i ate if I was hungry and slept/laid down if I was tired.  Even with a 5 and 3 yr old, I would put a movie on for them and take a rest.  I did not like all the tv for them but i had to give my twins and my body the rest it needed.  I ended up having Barrett naturally and Graham by CSec. 

I am still nursing and yes, people will assume you will just go to bottles straight away.  I would say to read the chapters on nusring problems.  I had to pump for two months straight before I got my guys on the breast.  I NEVER expected to have problems (i nursed my first two just fine) but my milk never really came in and I ended up having to take domperidone to get my supply up.  I also had to supplement with formula and that was the worst thing for me. My boys were not gaining weight and I could see their little bones so we had to supplement.  We were anble to get off the formula around six months and have been rocking right along. 

Good luck! 

#12 of 17 Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Caitlyn~ View Post

Red Pajama - You're making me feel at ease :) I can't imagine not breastfeeding my twins... I also would really like to CD. 

Get used to that!  People make a LOT of assumptions when you have twins.  But it is amazing to see how some people do a double take (literally) when they see that it is possible to make these choices, even with two babies :)  Breastfeeding was a priority for us (and is my #1 priority for the babies on the way), we did shift to cloth diapers but not till the babies were nearly 6 months old.  We're not finding out the sexes either - imagine the double surprise!  It's going to be awesome :)

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#13 of 17 Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Caitlyn~ View Post

Hey!  Another twin mama pregnant with another set of twins!  I breastfed our first set until 2 weeks shy of their 2nd birthday.  You can do it and cloth diaper (we did/are!).  Of course, people will think you are nuts.  So be it.  We also did not find out the genders of the first set and will not find out the gender of this set.  I did have a c-section with the first  set and am hoping for a VBAC too.  Which, an OB I know already asked me, "You're not still going for a VBAC are you?"  IT will all work out and be what it will be.  HOwever, you can still be informed and make your decisions and have prefereces!  I was breastfeeding both the girls in a park over the summer and an older grandmother aged woman kept looking at us and I wondered what she was thinking...finally she came over and told me that we were beautiful!  So, not everyone will think you are crazy. Surround yourself with them or at least keep their thoughts near to you! 

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#14 of 17 Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofchaos View Post

i finished reading this today and i agree 100%. i felt like i was going to do my twins some serious harm if i didn't gain the weight she said i was supposed to by 28 weeks- which is just 5 weeks away! eeeep.

i have "mothering multiples" by the la leche league in the mail, so i will report back here when i finish that one.

#15 of 17 Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ah Dr. Luke.  I can't be too negative about her recommendations, because I think she does get good results (longer twin pregnancies) and has a good point about the importance of ample protein and good nutrition.  But I can save you reading the book by saying:

Eat a lot.  Especially protein.  Lots of good stuff too, veggies, etc.

Also, I think she's got it somewhat wrong about activity.  Sitting on the couch for 9 months is not good for many pregnant moms.  Dr. Luke makes it sound like work and physical activity will put an expectant MOM into early labor.  Not a doctor here, but I totally disagree. 

STRESS is bad for expectant MOMs (even stress about how many grams of this and that you get daily).  So if your job is stressful, or your commute, or you're on your feet all day and your body give clear signs that's not working, back off.  I'd recommend if possible cutting out all non-essential activity as of 30 weeks.  After 30 weeks I skipped traveling for Christmas, said no baby shower, etc.  Because ultimately, those things were somewhat stressful to me.  All I wanted was to go to my gentle office job and come home.  That said, I was walking 2-3 miles a day and a brisk 5+ the day before my twins birth at 39 weeks.  Walking made me feel good, and I was strong going into labor.  But there were days where whatever activity or lack of water brought on bracton hicks, so I slowed down.

In summary - eat lots, cut out stress, and listen to your body.  That's all.

I good book that recently came out is "Double Time" by Jane Roper, who has a great blog.  I also liked "Twinspiration."  Essential reading though would be this blog post and all the comments.  It's old, but was so confidence building for me!

http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/2007/06/i_know_that_mos.html

Best wishes!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#16 of 17 Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh, so much positivity and helpful information! 

Thanks mamas... so much :)

#17 of 17 Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Im at 31w right now and I found this to be true for my reaction to Dr. Lukes also--

Quote:
Sitting on the couch for 9 months is not good for many pregnant moms.  Dr. Luke makes it sound like work and physical activity will put an expectant MOM into early labor.  Not a doctor here, but I totally disagree.

With that, I am very active (I exercise almost every day) and I eat a lot of protein (cottage cheese, greek yogurts, meats) and so far have had no complications in my pregnancy and my babies are big/healthy for their fetal age even if they were singletons.. ! I really believe in the importance of exercise. Healthy mom = healthy babies.

Congrats! and welcome to MDC!

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page