Are car seat carriers necessary with twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have three children, 2, 3 and 6.  I didn't use car seat carriers with my children (I tried one briefly with my oldest and hated it--I injured my back and felt like it was the most awkward device ever devised by man).  There are a lot of other reasons that I dislike car seat carriers, but mostly, I preferred to hold my little ones as much as possible and I've never seen car seat carriers as anymore than an inconvenience. 

However, now that I am 21 weeks pregnant with twins, I am having a hard time visualizing how to manage two infants plus the older children.  Has anyone decided against using car seat carriers with twins and older children?  How did you coordinate things?  

Any advice about how to manage twins while following AP as much as possible would be greatly appreciated!

#2 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Are you referring to the carseats that click in and out of a base?  I was thinking of skipping them as carrying three would be impossible.  However, they have one serious advantage.  Convertible seats require a baby to be a certain weight limit and some multiples are too tiny to fit in convertibles when they go home.

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#3 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM

I hate them, too, but I chose to get them with my twins because I could transfer them into a stroller.  And because I could throw a cover on them and avoid having to use snowsuits on squirmy babies.  I just couldn't visualize how to get two newborns and the rest of my brood in and out of the house every day without them, especially when the weather dips below zero for a significant portion of the year around here.  I just made sure where ever I was headed, I got them out of the seat at earliest opportunity.  And I never used them for napping or whatever in the house.  In fact, the buckets lived on the enclosed porch.  Nice round baby heads, here. ;)

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#4 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am talking about the car seat carriers that snap in and out of a base.  With my other children we used convertible car seats that can be used with infants down to 5 pounds.  Since I have had three healthy full term pregnancies, I am hoping to carry these babies full term and that they will be over 5 pounds.  My first was 9 lb 5 oz, my second 8 lb 13 oz and my third 8 lb 9 oz, so I'm hoping the odds are in my favor for big, healthy twins--of course I know that there are no guaranteessmile.gif.

#5 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

mylilmonkeys--Thank you for your reply.  It seems like you and I are in similar situations.

#6 of 15 Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 AM

I never used them b/c my kids screamed bloody murder in them.  But, I never had older children to manage.  I would wear them.  One on the back in a Beco w/infant insert and ergo in front.  I think that is still easier, b/c then you have hands free to deal with older kids. 

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#7 of 15 Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 AM

We had them and they were very convenient - you can transport sleeping babies from car to home without waking them and for me, they made grocery shopping, outings, running errands - all SO much easier.  Our carseats could go from the bases to the stroller.  My babies were (are still are!) held often but I think it was something that allowed us to get around that much more easily.  Also, our babies were born in January, so we could use the infant seats with covers and avoid the snowsuit issue, which was also a big time and sanity saver.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#8 of 15 Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM

I did not have older children to manage, but I did not use them the snap in car seats. When out with two adults, each adult had a baby in a sling. When out by myself, I used a sling and stroller.

You might consider a twin side-by-side stroller that still fits through doors. You sling one baby, and have other twin and next youngest in stroller. Older kids walk.

Another thing that helped me with my twins that might help you with your young walkers is I made a short clip on "leash" that I wore attached to a belt loop. I asked the child to "hold my leash", which was easier when they were so short that holding hands is difficult.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#9 of 15 Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM

In what situations will you need to manage them alone? You might want to look at it from that angle. I opted to skip bucket seats and use convertible car seats, but my babies will be pretty big when winter arrives and I am not brave enough to haul my whole brood out by myself. So, in our situation, we don't have much use for that kind of system, and once it's a bit easier to take everyone out of the house by myself, the babies will probably be comfortable in a regular stroller. 

#10 of 15 Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My sister had twins, plus a 2 year old, plus a 9 year old, and a Husband who worked around the clock.  She's always said that she never would have been able to manage without using baby bucket seats.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#11 of 15 Old 05-12-2012, 07:50 PM

I have extensively used our infant carseats along with snap n go strollers with my triplets. They have still been held lots & have lovely round heads. Its really helped us get out of the house with a minimum of fuss - well sort of. With a 9 & 4 yr old and infant triplets there is always some kind of fuss lol. I guess it just depends if you will be out alone or with another adult. What is your plan for keeping the 2 yr old safe

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#12 of 15 Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM

OK, colour me confused, but you drove in your car holding your babies??  Isn't that ILLEGAL???

I don't live in an area where I can just walk to where I need to get to, a car is mandatory, so yes my twins will be in carseats, and I have a Graco DuoGlider, as the City Select wasn't in the budget, that we'll be using!  Eventually the girls will be getting around in a Bob Duallie, but since they'll be to young, and it's MUCH easier to transport winter babies in a bucket seat, that's what I'll be doing!

Mum too 4 girls, ranging from toddlerhood to teenager! Our house is BUSY!
#13 of 15 Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lici'n'kaia View Post

OK, colour me confused, but you drove in your car holding your babies??  Isn't that ILLEGAL???

I don't live in an area where I can just walk to where I need to get to, a car is mandatory, so yes my twins will be in carseats, and I have a Graco DuoGlider, as the City Select wasn't in the budget, that we'll be using!  Eventually the girls will be getting around in a Bob Duallie, but since they'll be to young, and it's MUCH easier to transport winter babies in a bucket seat, that's what I'll be doing!

She used convertible carseats instead of infant seats that can be carried from the car. 

I am not a big bucket seat fan, but I can't honestly see getting in and out of the car with twins and two toddlers using convertibles. Also I went to BRU and looked at the seats. The seats we are getting have an adjustable crotch strap, so I can see how they are best for newborns, even those 5+ pounds.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#14 of 15 Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM

We ended up getting the newer buckets that can be used up to 35 lbs.  They're a little bit heavier, but my girls can still fit in them at 14 mo.  Most of my other kids would be far too heavy by 6 mo or so.  At this point, the seats just stay in the car, just like a convertible would.  We'll probably continue using these until they out weigh them, so we have a long while until we'll have to buy new seats. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#15 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post

She used convertible carseats instead of infant seats that can be carried from the car. 

I am not a big bucket seat fan, but I can't honestly see getting in and out of the car with twins and two toddlers using convertibles. Also I went to BRU and looked at the seats. The seats we are getting have an adjustable crotch strap, so I can see how they are best for newborns, even those 5+ pounds.

Yeah, I TOTALLY did not get that out of the OP, lol!  I saw "I don't like car seat carriers" "I like to hold my babies as much as possible" 

Mum too 4 girls, ranging from toddlerhood to teenager! Our house is BUSY!

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page