Changing 2yo twin naptime routine .... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Feels impossible at the moment! Any ideas?

I'm brainstorming how to change our nap time routine for my 2yo twins without killing naps AND without using the car (which only works while the car is moving anyway). I have one very reluctant napper who is a wreck if he doesn't nap and one who easily falls asleep in a backpack but is hard to put down without waking up and gets woken up easily by her brother.

For now, I'm doing a ridiculous acrobatic routine to put them down for naps, with my daughter on my back and my son nursing in my arms as I pace around the room until they are both asleep, when I then sit down on the bed, son still nursing as I sit down, swing my daughter around out of the backpack and nurse her back to sleep! About 75% of the time it "works," in that they both end up asleep for an hour or more. But, as you can imagine, they're getting pretty heavy, and I know I won't be able to continue this much longer (my biceps are getting huuuuuge, which is okay but silly).

Not sure how I'm going to change this ... they don't fall asleep in a stroller or even lying down nursing anymore, unless they are beyond tired. Keeping one quietly occupied while the other goes down for a nap seems like the next step, but "quietly occupied" seems far-fetched at this time, especially when it's just the three of us (and if my 6yo is home too, yikes!)... Sooooo, any brilliant ideas to help transition to an easier method for naps for one reluctant napper and one light sleeper?

PS, We don't have a crib, and these two sleep on a futon on the floor of our bedroom.

bouncy.gif&babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif
#2 of 5 Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 AM

I've got twin girls who'll be 2 in July and I feel your pain!  It almost sounds to me like there is a timing issue and perhaps some sleep debt issues too.  Children who are too tired get a 2nd wind and are *very* hard to put to sleep.  So first thing, you need to figure out when they will be tired and start putting them down to sleep right before that.  For example, my pair are usually up about 8am, and about 1pm they need a nap.  So about 12:30 I start getting them ready to go down. 

The other thing you've got going on are sleep associations.  What you will need to is figure out what your ideal  way for them to fall asleep (ie bed/naptime routine)  and work towards that.   The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers would help you a great deal with the particulars for that.  For nap time we change dipes, put on calm, quiet music, draw the shades so it's dim but not dark, and then I lay down with them and read them a story while they fall asleep.  You can read anything you want.  I tend to stay away from picture books because I don't really want to engage them in an activity.  Reading aloud is more of a soothing thing.  The only other thing I require is that they lay down, no sitting up, wandering around or fooling around.  When they try this (and they will) I just redirect.  "When our head hits the pillow it's time to lay still."  Somedays they go out easier than others.  The key is to catch them before they get exhausted.  Bedtime is basically the same routine.  Your routine could have any number of different parts to it, tailor it to what works.

Sleep issues are a killer for a mom with twins.  I hope you find a workable solution soon.  

#3 of 5 Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas!  I had dismissed the No Cry Sleep Solution because I didn't think it addressed the issues that come up for twins, but I'll try it again.  

I decided to tackle night weaning first, so haven't tried to change naps yet.  I've been so desperate for rest that the nap issues are more stressful than they need to be.  Once we start having better nights regularly (night weaning seems to be working!!!), I think I'll be ready to approach the nap problem with a clear head.

bouncy.gif&babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif
#4 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM

glad to see that you have started on your way to getting better sleep for everyone.  perhaps when the night weaning is accomplished the nap thing will just click into place.

#5 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noralou View Post

Thanks for your ideas!  I had dismissed the No Cry Sleep Solution because I didn't think it addressed the issues that come up for twins, but I'll try it again.  

I decided to tackle night weaning first, so haven't tried to change naps yet.  I've been so desperate for rest that the nap issues are more stressful than they need to be.  Once we start having better nights regularly (night weaning seems to be working!!!), I think I'll be ready to approach the nap problem with a clear head.

We did the same thing!  My girls are younger than yours but when I found out I was pregnant again, we needed to make some changes so that I could get some sleep.  Once they were night weaned, which was a process over a month, I did rely heavily on the car for a while to get them to sleep as I didn't want to continue to nurse them to sleep.  What worked for us in the beginning was to go to bed together and basically just let them play and wind themselves down until they fell asleep (we have a king and queen mattress on the floor combo).  As we transitioned them to sleeping in another room in cribs, it was much easier to get them to sleep there at nap time.  They still play for awhile and talk to each other before they settle to sleep but having the time while they are napping to get things done is amazing :)

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

Tags
Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page