Anyone have separated abs and do they affect labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my 37 week dr. appt and they told me that my abs have started to separate on the lower left side and that I was getting a hernia bigeyes.gif!!!! I thought it was just very tender stretch marks because I couldn't see. Anyway, I was having some burning pain spreading over the whole of my stomach that had nothing to do with contractions so now I'm getting scared to go into labor.

Has anyone had this and did you labor just fine? I'm terrified to push now incase I rip something!! Did your abs ever go back or did you have to have surgery? I already purchased a belly binder for right after to help everything hold in so I was hoping this was enough. I guess I'm just getting nervous about everything and this is just one more hassle to deal with.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I got a little lost, and then interested, hence being on here when I am not a mother of multiples. BUT, I developed diastasis with my first pregnancy, and it got worse with the second. I'm almost 18 mos pp and still have a 3-4cm gap. It was tender during pregnancy, and just feels odd now, but it did NOT hurt during labour. I didn't think about it at all when I was working away. This is just anecdotal, of course, but I don't think it should bother you. The mechanism of labour is more of a squeeze than an expansion, and it's the expansion that hurts the separation, so, logically, to me, you should be fine. ahem. Did you ask your doctor about it? 

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I saw another doctor who thinks that what I have might not actually be my muscles separating as much as I'm getting a build up of fluids/edema there. They said they can't be certain but when he had me do different maneuvers he couldn't see the muscles actually separating from one another or any gaps. Either way I'm binding my stomach afterward to hold everything in so we'll see if that helps the pain. They'll be able to tell after the delivery to see if I need surgery to repair or if it is fluid build up that will go away on its own.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Hi, I also got lost, scanning new posts will do that, but...

I also have a place that I'm guessing is a hernia or will be, or something.  It's about the size of a quarter, maybe a 1/2 dollar, and even looks bruised at times.  Hurts a lot sometimes, burning like you said.  I had it with my last baby, and thought I'd have to have something done about it after she was born.  I didn't notice it at all during labor.  And then I totally forgot about it until I was about 7m pg this time.  It came back, and is bigger now.  I'm 2 wks pp now, and am hoping I get to just forget about it again.  It didn't bother me in labor this time either.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

User Tag List