nothing fits.. 3rd trimester multiples.. where do you find clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

please help.. open to suggestions as the title suggestion, my borrowed maternity clothes don't fit- my DH stuff is too small.. any ideas? I just need to survive 2 more months ..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#2 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM

The last months of my twin pregnancy I bought some plus sized knit  dresses.  They were nice for postpartum too.  If money is a issue, look at resale shops and/or ebay.  Oldnavy has plus size and plus size materity.  I never bothered buying materity clothes I just bought bigger plus sized clothes.

Hope that helps.

#3 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM

You could try looking in thrift stores, but you are not likely to find much of anything and at this point day long shopping trips are really hard, if not ill-advised.  You could also try ebay, but there again it's usually a bust.  I found JCPenney got me through to the end of my pg with clothes that weren't hideously expensive.  They have 2X and 3X maternity clothes.  I don't know how big you are, but I was about 225 at the end of my pg and these clothes still fit. Four tops and 2 or 3 bottoms are all you really need.  If you can find them, get pants that are like leggings, so very comfortable and very forgiving if not sized just right.  OH, and I would buy a pair of sandals that are highly adjustable, like Tevas, in a size or so bigger than you would normally wear.  There is a very good chance your feet will swell like you would not believe (and this may last a couple of months post-partum).  If I didn't have a DD with huge feet who was willing to let me borrow her sandals, I would have had to go barefoot to the store to buy some.  lol

I wish I had a cheap or free suggestion, I almost always buy clothing used or get hand me downs, I hated spending money on new, esp. when I was only going to wear it for so long.  Necessary evil. 

#4 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM

I second the suggestion to look at plus size clothing.  It is cheaper and easier to find.  It may not fit as nicely since it is made to be bigger all over and not just in the belly, but it does the job.  I am already outgrowing a lot of my maternity clothes and am only 22 weeks!  I can't justify spending money on maternity clothes that I will only wear for a few months though.  Also, thrift stores often have good stuff :)  Good luck!

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#5 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 AM

For the last part of my triplet pregnancy and the early postpartum period, I wore stretchy yoga pants and lose tops. I usually wear a Medium or a Large and I was in XL or XXL pants that I stretched out a lot even though I wore the waistband under my belly and XXXL tops.

"Maternity" clothes didn't work for me as my rib cage stretched - not just my belly.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#6 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 AM

I did lots of yoga pants and plus-sized clothing as well. If you need to look nice, consider getting a few pieces altered. My breasts were NOT in proportion with my enormous belly, so I took a couple of plus-sized tops to a seamstress and had them taken in in the chest. The best thing (maybe the only good thing?) about being hugely pregnant in the summer is maxi dresses and sun dresses. I hated having anything around my belly towards the end, and just lived in dresses. 

Trying to get my bearings...
#7 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I went through 3 sizes of maternity closthes by the time I delivered (at 39 weeks). I was really lucky - I had a friend who loaned me some maternity dresses that she had made for herself, and she was taller and bigger than me (in our non-pregnant states).

I didn't have any pants that fit.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#8 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 AM

No pants here, either.

I made a couple of long skirts out of a piece of fabric that I wrapped around me and put a wide piece of elastic into to wear under belly.  Easy peasy. I was lucky that I didn't have other children and I wasn't working but was pregnant in the summer with no a/c so I didn't wear a shirt at home most days, just a little bra thing which somehow fit... If I had to go out, I'd throw on a plus size t-shirt that would mostly do the trick.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#9 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 01:08 PM

I got two pairs of dress pants and a pair of yoga pants, all from H&M, when I was 3 months pregnant. One pair was for my then-current size, one was a bit loose. I wore those pants throughout my whole pregnancy. The pants were very low-cut in the front, and had that large stretchy part to cover the belly. It was a bit roomy in the beginning, so I folded it in half, but when the belly grew, it filled up and then stretched very well. I wore those pants at 38 weeks, they were still comfy. Two H&M longer stretchy tops worked fine till the end of pregnancy, too. Maybe check H&M for preggo clothes? The prices weren't that bad, either.

#10 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM

I couldn't believe I was ordering MORE maternity clothes at the END of my pregnancy.  I got some really ugly and cheap knit dresses from Burlington Coat Factory.  Normally I am a small, and I ordered the large.  They stretched REALLY well and were so comfortable.  I'm not a sleeveless gal, so I wore a white maternity tee underneath.  Just couldn't beat $13 a piece when you're thinking you could be wearing these for less than 2 months!

http://www1.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/bcf/Maternity-Sleeveless-Maxi-Dress-367533594.aspx

Don't know if the link will work, but here is an example.  They had some similar, but these are the ones I bought.

#11 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

I did find if I buy the Hanes mens t-shirts in large, XL etc sizes that they fit me, I realized a lot of what I have in terms of clothing options are from friends with singletons and as a result a lot of the stuff just doesnt work right now for me at all.. I also found some draw string pants 'fisherman style' my DH got in Thailand which will work for the rest of the pregnancy-- so if anything I do have those. . .

I found 1 dress at old navy on sale which is really long and only fitted under the breast so I dont have this issue with my stomach size needed to be tailored too.. dont know why I didnt think of that sooner..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#12 of 14 Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 PM

Thank you for this thread!

I'm 22 weeks, 6'11", bigger (sz 12), and carry ALL in the front.  With triplets!  I need to keep up my wardrobe that is work friendly and I am worried as I am already wearing my third trimester clothing.  With the rate these girls are growing, I don't know what I'll be able to wear soon! 

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#13 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry to admit, but I did react to your question with a little chuckle- only because I remember how ungodly big I was at the end of my multiple pregnancy, and how desperately I clung onto just looking sort of "cute" in something- ANYTHING- to try to salvage some sort of sanity as a woman. My heart goes out to you.

Get beachy- flowy, long dresses in the biggest size you can find them in. Something with a little stretch is nice because your eventually un-pregnant self can wear them too. This is basically all I could do- throw a little open cardigan/sweater thing on top and this sort of get-up can work in cooler climates too. Wraps, sarongs, things you can tie around your body any way you please are great. 

If all else fails, stay in, naked in bed, cozy under the covers, and enjoy the last bit of those beautiful babies rolling around inside!

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

#14 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 AM

Dr Barbara Luke (of the famous multiples book) now sells a range of maternity clothes for multiple mamas. Not sure if I am allowed to post a commercial link so try googling it. Not sure of prices though.

First babe due Summer 2010! IVF babe after 3.5 years TTC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page