how much did you gain with twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

vanity alert.

I am wondering how much did you gain with twins and how long/hard was it for you to lose PP? I am almost 30w and already weigh well over what I did when I gave birth to DS1 at 42w.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#2 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

I gained 45#, but I am someone who has a hard time putting on weight in pregnancy. I gained less than 20 with my singleton. 

I followed Barbara Luke's guidelines and aimed for a very high protein diet and gaining 20# by 20 weeks. I'm a true believer in this approach. My twins were each bigger than my singleton, and I went past my due date in spite of early cervical shortening. If you are eating lots of high quality protein, I would not sweat the weight gain. Trust me, you burn a lot of calories breastfeeding twins!

Trying to get my bearings...
#3 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM

I gained just shy of 40 lbs with my twins, and lost all of it within 3 months.  Breastfeeding twins really does burn those calories - I was eating all day and losing weight, plus I was super swollen at the end and sweated off a lot of that water after the girls arrived.  As long as you're eating quality food, I've heard anywhere from 35-60 lbs as a recommendation for weight gain with a twin pregnancy.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#4 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM

I gained 60 pounds with my twins (by 36 weeks, which is when I delivered). I dropped 20 with the delivery, 40 by the next week, and the rest by six months. (which is when the swelling went down in my feet and I started to feel a little less post-pregnant). I'm down a bit below my pre-pregnancy weight now (a year out). My twins were 6 pounds each (at a month early)

You want to gain a lot so that the babies don't have to compete for nutrients. So you can focus on healthy foods, but I would never never limit them, especially for twins. Because big babies are strong babies. It's hard on the body, but if you can be lucky enough to not have NICU time (or have less NICU time), it is awesome.

#5 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I gained 65 pounds (I delivered at 39 weeks). I lost 45 by the time I left the hospital (4 days later), and am still working on the last 20.

My sons graduate from high school next week.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#6 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

I gained 45 lbs, just 5 more than most of my singleton pregnancies.  I really had a hard time putting on weight at the end, and I think I started losing in my arms and legs.  I got to pre-preg fairly rapidly and then sort of plateaued.  Then I discovered that a lot of my IBS symptoms were due to food intolerances, went on an elimination diet and eventually GAPS.  I'm now at least 50lbs below pre-pregnancy, just discovered tonight I'm in a size 6!  I'm a little in shock.  I've never been below an 8 in my adult life, and that 8 was before kids.  But, I wouldn't necessarily recommend losing weight my way. ;)

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#7 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM

I gained 31 pounds (171lbs to 202lbs) by the time i went into labor at 36weeks
and it was gone when I weighed myself on day 6 PP. by six months in I had lost another 15 and now 16 months in I am down a totall of 53pounds from my final pregnacy weight and that is 22 pounds below my prepregnacy weight.

What I take from those numbers are a few things.

I was mildly overweight before I got Peggo. 171lbs at 5'7" = bmi of 27

My weight gain was pretty great in the first half with my almost perfectly 20 at 20weeks actually a bit ahead
After that I started not keeping up, the babies started gaining faster than me and I could watch other parts of my body get thinner, like my thighs and arms. We were a bit worried if I was getting my body's needed nutrition or if the babies were taking it all! Yes I had some spare, but pregnancy was not the time to give it up.

Since I am seriously doubting that I lost everything I gained in just 6 days, I am assuming that I had basically lost it earlier from other places and my pregnancy weight was actually more that the scale showed. Does that make sense? That my "belly" may have gained 40 pounds but my legs lost 9 for I had a net gain of 31?

Yeah nursing drains a lot out of you, big time!!!! Not true for all moms, but certainly for me.

Finally , my weight has stabilized for the last few months and did not go up when the twins started solids so that is good, but I do still nurse many times a day so I have no idea and a small handful of worries for when they ween. I am back at a good healthy weight for the first time in over a decade and would reaaaaalllllly like to stay here.

At 150lbs the highest my monthly fluctuation goes these days, I have a BMI of 23, smack in the healthy zone.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM

I'm almost 39 weeks with my twins and have just reached 55 lbs. It doesn't seem to matter what, how much, or how little I eat I've gained 2-3 lbs a weeks since weeks 20 weeks (I didn't gain anything before that). It's very frustrating looking at my scale but I'm hoping this means I have big babies in there. With my singleton I only gained 25-30 lbs and lost all of it by 1 month pp. Nursing brought me even lower than pre-pregnancy weight by 2 months pp and we'll see if it helps this time too.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#9 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 PM

80 lbs at 38 weeks. I started at below 110 lbs, so in percentage, that was high. (Dr Luke's book mentions that the underweight people should gain more than the average that she recommended.) In the very end, a lot of it was water weight though - I had so much swelling that even my knee joints puffed up and disappeared. The muscles above the collarbones were swollen.

I was paranoid about not getting enough nutrients to my babies - after watching this documentary, I was hoping for a decent birth weight.

50 lbs are gone, I'm enjoying the rest while it lasts. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page