Mothering Forum banner

Nursing singleton baby after toddler twins.

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Shuli 
#1 ·
Did anyone have oversupply issues or anything like that? I'm curious to hear how it is to downscale from two to one.

Did it feel easy/ empty/ weird? At the moment I'm still having recurrent twin dreams even though I know I'm only carrying a singleton
dizzy.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipper View Post

All I can think is, "Wow. That is going to be SO EASY." ;)
ROTFLMAO.gif

I've nursed singletons in the past, but the memory of my experience with the twins is SO DOMINANT, that now I can't imagine one baby at a time. Even the pregnancy feels like the first time I've ever carried a child. I'm keen to hear from other mamas how it felt when they were actually holding one baby in their arms. I keep belly mapping and thinking, 'there can't just be one'
orngbiggrin.gif

#4 ·
The only issue I had with my singleton was she had a tongue tie which we didn't find out until she was 5 months old. Once it was clipped she was a champion nurser. No supply issues (over / under) at all.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bookcase~ View Post

Did anyone have oversupply issues or anything like that? I'm curious to hear how it is to downscale from two to one.

Did it feel easy/ empty/ weird? At the moment I'm still having recurrent twin dreams even though I know I'm only carrying a singleton
dizzy.gif
LORD have mercy - the oversupply!!!!!!!!!!

I just had Baby #5 last week (shameless photo thread) -- and the nurses laughed when I told them that my milk was coming in the next day. Hmph - these boobs know what they're doing. By Monday, I was super engorged - went to buy a hand pump, and get fitted for nursing bras - I am an F. What the heck?? I'm 5 foot tall! Half of me is boobs?

So, to answer your question -- yes, it's WAAAY easier going back to nursing only one, but apparently my body is needing some adjustment. I had mastitis with my boys when they were a year old, so I'm petrified of overfilled boobs/plugged ducts, etc.

When are you due?

#6 ·
My singleton after the twins was easy-- she knew how to nurse, and latched on right away. My body adjusted pretty quickly. I will say that for the first few days, I always felt like I was missing someone, because there was just one baby.

#7 ·
I had my first singleton when my twins were three years, nine months old (I nursed one of the twins until he was 2.5, and one until I got pregnant, days after their third birthday). I had SO MUCH MILK for my third baby. It was insanity. I had looked forward to long, relaxing nursing sessions with *just one baby* but my singleton rarely (if ever!) nursed for more than 3 minutes at a stretch, every few hours. Nursing was not enjoyable for him, not at all comforting until he was 8 months old or so (ultimately, he nursed until age 4.5, and nursing was obviously a huge source of comfort for most of that time). He was born at 10-10 and gained a pound a week for several weeks. I definitely felt like I had enough milk for triplets and it took a while to tame my supply.

But, the overall experience of having just one baby was delightful (we referred to him that way, as "just one baby!" all the time). He was also a very easy baby (or maybe it only seemed that way after the twins?), and was so completely entertained by his big brothers (and the twins loved adored him). His infancy was one of the most blissful years of my life, honestly.

Congrats on your SINGLETON pregnancy!

Lex

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post

LORD have mercy - the oversupply!!!!!!!!!!

I just had Baby #5 last week (shameless photo thread) -- and the nurses laughed when I told them that my milk was coming in the next day. Hmph - these boobs know what they're doing. By Monday, I was super engorged - went to buy a hand pump, and get fitted for nursing bras - I am an F. What the heck?? I'm 5 foot tall! Half of me is boobs?

So, to answer your question -- yes, it's WAAAY easier going back to nursing only one, but apparently my body is needing some adjustment. I had mastitis with my boys when they were a year old, so I'm petrified of overfilled boobs/plugged ducts, etc.

When are you due?
Due August - the twins were prem so I'm grateful for every day that passes (not quite at the gestation they were born at yet but feeling good!)

Congratulations on your girl
love.gif
- I think our twins are similar ages, can't quite remember (Shukr, I changed my profile name).

My boobs have been really sore from the start this time - so much so I thought it was multiples again for sure just because of all the preparatory activity that I've felt happening in there lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

My singleton after the twins was easy-- she knew how to nurse, and latched on right away. My body adjusted pretty quickly. I will say that for the first few days, I always felt like I was missing someone, because there was just one baby.
Aww, I can imagine the missing feeling just from the pregnancy. I've apologised to baby that it seems a little empty in there! but I'm dreaming of singleton babywearing and cuddles and NIGHT TIME FEEDS just with one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post

I had my first singleton when my twins were three years, nine months old (I nursed one of the twins until he was 2.5, and one until I got pregnant, days after their third birthday). I had SO MUCH MILK for my third baby. It was insanity. I had looked forward to long, relaxing nursing sessions with *just one baby* but my singleton rarely (if ever!) nursed for more than 3 minutes at a stretch, every few hours. Nursing was not enjoyable for him, not at all comforting until he was 8 months old or so (ultimately, he nursed until age 4.5, and nursing was obviously a huge source of comfort for most of that time). He was born at 10-10 and gained a pound a week for several weeks. I definitely felt like I had enough milk for triplets and it took a while to tame my supply.

But, the overall experience of having just one baby was delightful (we referred to him that way, as "just one baby!" all the time). He was also a very easy baby (or maybe it only seemed that way after the twins?), and was so completely entertained by his big brothers (and the twins loved adored him). His infancy was one of the most blissful years of my life, honestly.

Congrats on your SINGLETON pregnancy!

Lex
Lex, you have a full, full house now too
orngbiggrin.gif

I hope things will feel dreamy this time round. You don't quite realise the trauma of multiples until it's over iykwim.

So much joy with more than one, but a fair bit of crazy for a few years too right!

#9 ·
I had a singleton 27 months after my twins. I EBF my boys until I realized I was pregnant when they were about 18 months (didn't even realize I got my fertility back :) ).

The day after she was born I pumped 150 CCs from both sides. Unfortunately, she ate like a bird, and as much as I pumped to try and keep up the oversupply after birth, it wasn't enough. When she was 10 months old I got really ill with bronchitis and the medication they ultimately had to put me on soured the milk and she quit on me. It wasn't such a great nursing relationship.

2.5 months ago (2.5 years later) I gave birth to another singleton and boy does he eat! I am thanfully having no supply issues and he has plenty to eat. I started leaking cholostrom at 35 weeks. I actually have to pump sometimes in the evening after he goes to bed because it just hurts so much. I also managed to get full madela bottles a day after birth. I think my body is getting ready for twins every time I give birth, no matter how many there are iin there! I was also blessed with a good milk gene. Supply is one of those things that I don't think I worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.