Were you forced to deliver your twins in an OR?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 29 weeks pregnant with mono-di twin boys.  My OB says we have to move into the OR in my last stages of pushing baby A.  This did not make me happy.  But worse is that my sister and doula can't come, only my DH.  That's my support team and I am feeling this is a line I'm going to draw in the sand.  I don't want to look for a new doctor, but it may come to that if I find out this is his preference and not hospital policy.  But even if it is hospital policy, I'm going to ask to see it in writing.  Who was forced to deliver in an OR and if so, were you restricted to having only one person in the room?  Did you fight this?  What was the outcome?   I'm in NYC, delivering at Roosevelt Hospital.  Thanks!

Me-38

DH-46

DD-Born 7/19/09 Natural,unmedicated hospital hypno birth! energy.gif

Pregnant with Mono-di twin boys, due some time in mid to late July 2012!babyboy.gifbabyboy.gif

#2 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM

I'm in Chicago, and it sounds as though I don't have a choice about this, either. I actually don't know if they will let me do ANY of my laboring in a regular room. I've asked around and it seems to be standard practice around here, but if all goes well with the babies and A is vertex I am going to negotiate as much as I can with my OB.

#3 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM

We had to be in the OR, but managed to keep the doula and my husband in the room (though they told us when we arrived that the doula would not be allowed...I almost walked out then and  there to have... I don't know, and unattended birth in the parking lot?

#4 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM

I'm near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and the general "policy" around here is that at the very least, you need to be in an OR for Baby B.  Baby A is somewhat more negotiable. 

I have a friend who is 36 weeks pregnant with twins and is planning to refuse to go to the OR, period.  I am anxiously awaiting her birth story as she will be at the same hospital we will be at if we decide on a hospital birth.

For my last birth, I arrived at the hospital fully dilated and pushing, was taken to an examination room to check me (they did not value my midwife's opinion much) and then to a L&D room and then quickly to an OR.  My midwife (acting as a support person only) and my husband were both there.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#5 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM

Hi!  I had mono/di twins and also had to deliver in the OR.  The room was next door to the labor room, so they didn't wheel me into the OR until I was ready to push.  It was a dual setup - so a whole OR team was present just in case.  In addition to the extra hands needed for twins, there must have been close to 15 people.  DH was my only support person by choice, so I'm not sure if others would have been allowed in. 

My suggestion is that you request all the extra staff to either be out of the OR or behind you until (if!) they are needed.  There were some staff watching the "show" which was annoying.

It took me a long time to be OK with all the extra interventions/precautions because of twins.  In the end (minus a few minor changes I would have liked) it went as well as it could have.  I went into labor on my own, delivered vaginally (which included a breach baby B) and no NICU time for my girls.

Good luck!

#6 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Speedfunk- I see you're in NY.  What hospital did you deliver at?

I'm negotiable on delivering in the OR, but I have decided that they must let my dh, sis and doula in with me.  I would be really pissed if they try to forbid them, and then I have residents and staff around for "the show," as speed funk said.  

Mamalove- I'm curious about your friend too.  Keep us posted!

Me-38

DH-46

Pregnant with Mono-di twin boys, due some time in mid to late July 2012!babyboy.gifbabyboy.gif

#7 of 21 Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM

I just talked to my perinatologist about this, and they said it wasn't necessary for me to labor or deliver in the OR with my mono/di twins. 

They did *strongly recommend* that I have an epidural, in case a c/s was necessary... but, I don't think I'll take that recommendation.

#8 of 21 Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 AM

Gindugirl I'm in upstate NY, no not to close to NYC if that's where you are.

#9 of 21 Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Sometimes there can be more than one support person in the OR.  Often its up to the OB delivering who discusses it with the anesthesiologist (who will "run the show," if anesthesia is needed).  Perhaps a consult with anesthesia before birth would be good. 

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#10 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Not forced, but did deliver in an OR.  My DH was allowed with me.  I asked about this ahead of time and my Dr said I could have whoever I wanted in there with me.  I *think* it is up to the Dr and not anyone else, so I would talk to him/her about your concerns.  And then make sure they put notes in your chart so that there are no questions later.

I also got the rec that I should have an epi in place *just in case*, but my delivery happened sooo fast, that it wasn't an option (and not needed and not wanted anyway).  Things were so quick that the anthestiologist (sp?) was just placing an IV in my arm as Baby A was crowning. 

#11 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was "allowed" (I hate that) to deliver in a regular room but they put me in the room closest to the operating suite. And I delivered both twins vaginally. I did get the epidural, but in retrospect that was a really good decision for me.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  I'm going to really push for this one, cuz it's too important to me.  I meet with my Peri next week and I hope he's ok with it.

Me-38

DH-46

#13 of 21 Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 AM

I delivered my mono-di boys in the OR, with Baby B being a breech extraction. It wasn't a huge deal -- except for being cold, and the effin stirrups. YUCK. 

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#14 of 21 Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

DiannaK- that's pretty much what my Peri wants to do.  He said I don't have to have stirrups with baby A, but with Baby B it's prob gonna be a breech extraction and he wants me in the stirrups- urrgg.  But at least I know he won't try to section me if baby B isn't vertex and I appreciate that.  

But question- did you have an epidural?  I'm doing it natural and I'm kinda nervous about his arm up my vajay vajay pulling baby b out.  Yikes!  How fast did that go for you?

Me-38

DH-46

#15 of 21 Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM

For me it is a hospital policy to deliver in the OR for twins.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#16 of 21 Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

lovebeingawife-

I have removed your post, as it's against the UA.  Do not post in this manner again.

#17 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 AM
jdc

Hi twin mama comrades,

I did deliver in the OR because I did a natural VBAC twin birth with my #2 and #3 babies.  I have a blog where I wrote about my birth experiences, and other adventures in parenting multiples.  You can find it here: http://www.multiplerealitiesblog.com/2012/08/the-natural-vbac-twin-birth.html

In case you don't read my birth story on the blog, I will say that for me, delivering naturally and in the OR was an AMAZING experience.  Yes, the OR sucked, but I was still so grateful after my previous C-section.

Good luck, all!

Jenn

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#18 of 21 Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post

Hi twin mama comrades,

I did deliver in the OR because I did a natural VBAC twin birth with my #2 and #3 babies.  I have a blog where I wrote about my birth experiences, and other adventures in parenting multiples.  You can find it here: http://www.multiplerealitiesblog.com/2012/08/the-natural-vbac-twin-birth.html

In case you don't read my birth story on the blog, I will say that for me, delivering naturally and in the OR was an AMAZING experience.  Yes, the OR sucked, but I was still so grateful after my previous C-section.

Good luck, all!

Jenn

Jenn, your story made me cry. Thanks for sharing. It was particularly meaningful for me because Mary delivered my DD four years ago, back when we lived in PVD. Now, we're in a much less birth-friendly place, I'm pregnant with twins, and wish more than anything that Mary could be there. Congrats on a beautiful birth, and a beautiful family!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#19 of 21 Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Just wanted to update... My friend ended up with an emergency c-section so was obviously in an OR but for my last birth (second set of twins) I argued and won (!!) to stay in the L&D room. I had my husband, two midwives, a resident, the on call OB and a nurse in the room.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#20 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
jdc

Wow, just checking back on the mothering community... thanks for your nice words!  Glad my birth story touched you.  I am sorry that Mary's not close and I hope you find an excellent practitioner to deliver your twins!

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#21 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM

The OB originally said I would have to labour in an OR.  When we got to the hospital they stuck me in observation as my water had broke but contractions were not strong.  When they got around to checking me I was 9 cm so they quickly wheeled me into  L&D room where the twins were born.  They did insist on an epidural (which I got about 20 min before the twins were born) but I thought that was reasonable just in case the OB had to do any emergency work.  Overall it was very relaxed and a great experience.  The OB said she hadn't delivered twins vaginally before and I think because things were moving so quickly she just went with the flow.  I was very happy about her openness and calmness with the whole process.  My midwife team was there too and helped a lot with the labour and the OB was kind of in the background until baby A was born.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page