nursing, supplementing and schedules. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My twins are 6 month old and at their "well visit" today both have fallen off their growth curve.  My pediatrician is recommending that I increase formula supplementation rather drastically.  Currently I nurse when I am home and supplement with formula and pumped milk when I am working but obviously they aren't getting enough.  I'm trying to come up with a plan where I can add in formula while maintaining the supply I have and allowing both babies to get their share of breast milk.

I was considering nursing 1 while giving the other a bottle and then switching at the next feeding.  Only problem with that is that up until now I've nursed on demand when I was home and they are often not on the same schedule.  I foresee confusion and no one being happy or well fed :(

Has any one else been in the same situation?  Any suggestions?  Should I try to get them on the same schedule?

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM

First, a disclaimer...  I know *nothing* about how babies are supposed to grow.  But I am wondering if they've really fallen off of *their* growth curve.  Both of my babies were born in the 50th percentile for height and weight and gained normally as infants but were then at around the 5th percentile for height/weight at a year.  Do you think this could be normal for your LO's or had you been feeling like there was something off?

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM

Did they discuss at all starting solids instead? My babes hadn't fallen off the curve but were on the small side and they said "we know you don't want to give formula so we recommend starting solids" How do you feel about their size and overall health?

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#4 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

My doctor is recommending advancing solids quickly (but also wants me to supplement).  One of the babes is keen on eating, the other is only this week seeming a little interested (still has the tongue thrust though so not quite ready for solids though).  Of course solids don't have as many calories per oz as breast milk or formula so I don't know if that will help much. 

They are both "little" but I don't think they are "skinny".  My older daughter was always pretty light and my husband's family is all small boned.  I wouldn't worry if they were following a curve but their curve has really leveled off in 2 months (they only gained around lb each from 4-6 months) and they were on the low weight side to begin with.

#5 of 8 Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM

I had issues with supply from the beginning and had to supplement or they had no growth.  We started solids at 6 months and I began rather quickly and with the high fat/protein ones as well as the fruits and vegis.  Made hummous, gave avocado and didn't worry about not giving dairy, which was not an allergen issue since they'd had plenty of milk based formula.  They loved fruits and whole milk yogurt.  It kept our formula to a minimum.  They were gettting about a third of their fluid from formula each day. 

I would be thoughtful about their growth but also your gut feeling about how they are doing.  I would have never nursed had I listened to some health care providers! 

My girls nursed a lot...and we just finished up when they were 2 weeks shy of their 2nd birthday.  Good luck and I hope I have helped. 

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#6 of 8 Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 PM

Just addressing the on-demand part. With my girls I always did modified on-demand. If one girl ate, I would then offer milk to the other at that point. (though by six months I was no longer waking anyone up to eat) It helped keep me sane.

#7 of 8 Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Nursing twins required (at least for me) serious work. I pumped a lot, and was very protective of my at-work pumping time. Have you considered visiting a lactation consultant to explore ways to up your supply?

Addressing the falling off the growth curve: if they are acting healthy, they may be finding their growth curve. My boys were chunks for a long time, but slimmed down drastically.  Little sister got "tiny" even quicker-- she was huge until about 4-5 months, and then just didn't keep that growth up. She's very slim now, but it's what's right for her.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#8 of 8 Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses.  I have realized over the past week how much I was short changing both babies when nursing.  I think because of exhaustion, always having another hungry baby waiting, wanting some time with no baby on my lap, etc I wasn't letting them nurse until they were completely full.  I am supplementing with formula now when I am home - one twin is happy getting a bottle, the other refuses the bottle unless she is really really hungry (even when I am at work - which is really frustrating).  Both were only just hugging the bottom curve before this "fall off" or I wouldn't be so worried.  I am working on getting my supply back up, making sure I'm eating enough (I lost a lot of weight really fast since the babies were born) and we will see.  In just this past week they seem happier and less fussy.

I am also putting them down for scheduled naps now which is helping me stay sane and sleep nursing one twin if the other one wakes up in the middle of the night.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page