Pregnant with Twins? Join the club :) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What number of children is this for you?
1st & 2nd 24 30.00%
2nd & 3rd 31 38.75%
3rd & 4th 13 16.25%
4th & 5th 7 8.75%
5th & 6th 0 0%
6th & 7th 2 2.50%
7th & 8th 0 0%
8th & 9th 3 3.75%
9th & 10th 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Bekah, and welcome to MDC greet.gif
I love seeing all the February mommas rolling in!

Questions: since your babies are in separate sacs and have separate placentas, how do you know they are identical? (I have babies in separate sacs and placentas and I was under the impression that most fraternal twins do).

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM

Ahhh,

I just went through a weekend of yucky gastrointestinal issues and without too much detail, I probably would have been inpatient if not for zofran and immodium. 

Now, After 4 days of eating almost nothing, mostly just gatorade and some gingerale, I'm worried about weight gain, etc. 

I am 25 weeks and had lost in the first trimester and then did so well at the start of the 2nd.  I had been up about 30# from pre-pregnancy weight.  (right on track for Dr. Luke!)  The babes are growing well, right at the 49%-both of them. 

No more meds (I'm about 18 hours since the last doses, so I think I'm finally in the clear!).  Ate some chicken and rice for dinner and just finished a bowl of apple sauce.  Hoping I'll make it through the night without a trip to the bathroom. 

Someone just tell me we will all be fine!  I guess I'm needing a little reassurance.  My sweet DH just says it'll be fine and what can I do about it anyway!  He's probably right.  I'm just worrying a little more this time around. 

Contemplating my pre-natal yoga class tomorrow and will likley go and take it very easy. 

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Name? (if you feel like it) Megan

You and maybe your partners age at the birth? Me, 35; DH, 37

Are the babies Mono or Di or what combo of both? I really don't even know what this means. They are in separate sacs. Di?

What number of kids will is be for you? 3 & 4 (we have two daughters, 7.5 and almost 5)

Genders? Will you be finding out? We plan to find out

EDD and or planned birth timing? Original due date March 9th. Hoping for February!

State you live in? Oklahoma

Anything else you want to share?

We JUST found out yesterday we are having twins and I am completely freaked out. There are no twins in my family, I have zero experience with multiple pregnancy or multiples parenting. I have so many questions!

Who is this Dr. Luke y'all are talking about? I am sooooooo sick. I've been wearing Sea Bands which has brought the vomiting under control, but I am still battling day-long intense nausea. I have to fight my gag reflex every time I swallow food. And I'm having an INTENSE meat aversion. INTENSE. And we eat Paleo, so you can imagine this is all kinds of confusing and upsetting for me.

What are some good resources for AP and twins? And nursing twins? I am especially freaked out about that. (I bf'ed both of my girls to 2, but I only have one "working" breast - my right one never produces much milk.) And cloth diapers? DEAR HEAVENS, the laundry!

Also, I am a two-time c/s mama, so these will be a planned repeat Cesarean birth.

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

QM- Whew, it sounds like you had a rough weekend! Im sorry to hear about that. I'm sure you are going to be okay. Im sure that you've gained plenty of weight to get through this without any problems :)

daceysmama- Congrats!! Do you twins have separate placentas? That would make them di-di. It's my understanding that if they share a placenta then they would be mono-di (but, if im wrong maybe someone will correct me). Dr. Barbara Luke wrote this book, which I was instructed to read as soon as I found out. Personally, i think she requires an insane amount of protein for a non-pregnant woman, and there is no.freaking.way I can eat 170 grams a day. I do follow her guidelines for weight gain though. Congrats on your pregnancy!!

http://www.drbarbaraluke.com/Books/Expecting.aspx

Ithappened- I hope all is well with you and your nurslings. I know you are busy, but if you find the time, I'd love to see some more of their beautiful faces!

mamalove3~ I think you are the furthest along. How are you feeling?

Everyone else- if you know the sex and it's not listed on the main page, let me know and Ill list it for you.

AFM- I got my nuchal scan results in today (officially). All is normal. I've been really fretting about it, so it's a huge sigh or relief for me.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Welcome to all the new mamas! 

ifnotnowwhen - Congrats on your boys!  That is so exciting :)

xerxella - I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with so much stress and uncertainty.  I guess the good news is that you are being closely monitored and hopefully get more info on what exactly is the case soon.

QMtwins - Sorry to hear you've been having such a rough go of it lately...I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain, every pregnancy is different :)

daceysmomma - Check out Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble and Mothering Multiples by Karen Gromada.  We started cloth at 6 months with our girls and it is definitely doable, but you may want to either go with disposables or get a service for the first weeks/months as breastfeeding twins is pretty much a 24/7 gig and whenever you're not nursing, you should be sleeping!

AdalinesMama - Glad to hear your results are normal - the less stress the better!

AFM I am going on 34 weeks which is the magical time that I can say goodbye to the high risk team and their hospital and go to the 'normal' hospital.  The bummer is that I will be meeting a new OB, so hopefully he is on board with my birth plans.  Although of course, he is one of 10 doctors on a rotation so who knows who will be there when I actually give birth.  Luckily, I will have my midwife and one or two other midwives as well :)  I am feeling ginormous and very uncomfortable.  The worst is this terrible pain in my groin/pelvis that makes it hard to even walk.  I sleep ok, minus getting up 3-4 times a night to pee.  I can't believe that I will be having babies in a month!!  Seems so unreal.  We have so much to do!!

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mamalove3- so glad you are getting to that point where you can say goodbye to your high risk team. I'm not sure I will calm down until that day arrives. What's left to do? I guess it's just like when parents have their second singleton. I dont know why I think in my head, "but you already have twins, what could you have to do?" Too bad it doesnt work that way, right?

x- Are you home from vacation? Have you found a second opinion doctor yet? Thinking of you :)

AFM- MOVEMENT!!! Last night, in my sleep I was dreaming of riding a rollercoaster and it woke me up. I sat straight up in bed and felt incredible movement from the babies!!! (or maybe just one, I dont know how that works.) I've gone through this twice before, but everytime it's amazing. I have this feeling of amazement that something is actually living inside of my body. Its cool and creepily parasitic all at once :)

Questions for twin mamas, or people who might know the answer:

Can you feel the difference between the babies' movement at some point? Like who's who of the womb or something?

Do the babies keep each other up in utero? My babes have always moved the most around 3 am, I wonder if they will move at the same time, or if they will be on different active schedules, therefore keeping me up even more at night :)

TIA.

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM

I can tell who is moving because of their positions. And their movements are different, which I find fascinating. A has always been a more forceful mover, jabbing and spazzing all over the place. B is much more languid. Makes me wonder if their personalities outside of the womb will match up !
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Anyone have a twin homebirth or no of midwives in California (or traveling midwives) who do? Thank you!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 PM

when i was preggo with my twins i used to call them "peanut butter" and "jelly" because of how they moved.

my girl never moved, she used to scare us from how little she ever kicked, she had a wonderful stretched out position with her head nearly engaged and curved all the way up my right side with her feet under my right ribs. think "crescent moon". she came out first despite him weighing considerably more.

my boy was balled up in the curve of the crescent for lack of a better description high and on the left side. he never stopped squirming, flipping and everything under the sun, going from vertex to breach and back again less that 2 weeks before i went into labor at 36w, he gave me heartburn in way more than one way!

frankly i think she had the best spot and was content and he was always looking for a more comfortable position.

from the moment they came out their movement and attitudes have been 100% opposite! she is the active go getter, learning everything the hard and fast way, always bruised and happy to fling herself around, rarely taking a break long enough to cuddle unless sleeping.

He is the reclined observer, doing everything way later, not walking till 16 months, 10 weeks after her! always happy to melt into a puddle of cuddles in nearly any pair of loving arms.

i would have never guessed

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
bgerl- Welcome to MDC!!!!! You might want to ask your question as a new post here in the parenting multiples section and also in you tribe area and maybe in one of the homebirth sections. That way you'll get the most views. I'm in IL, so I can't help you with CA recommendations.

wendi - I don't know about twins, but I know my first born hardly ever moved and to this day he is very calm and easy going. My 2nd child was ALWAYS active and continues to be ALWAYS active to this day. So, 2 seperate kids can show their personalities even in utero. I notice you're in Chicago. I'm also in Chicago, can I ask where you're birthing? I'm strongly considering Lutheran General. (I hear they have a great NICU.) But, I'm still searching for whoever's the best for ID twins in the Chicagoland area.

Adaline's mama - Yeah for movement!!!!! So exciting!!!! And yeah for a good visit!!!! All of these steps just put you more and more at ease.

mamalove - I'll take those book recommendations too. Thanks. Does LLL also have a breastfeeding twins book? I imagine they do. How does breastfeeding work with an extended NICU stay? I think I'll be looking at that. Congrats on reaching 34 weeks, but I imagine this is all old hat for you! wink1.gif

sorta crunchy - I'm with you. There has NEVER been twins in my family, although there are ID twins on my dh's family and I understand that he might be to blame. orngtongue.gif I had 2 healthy, relatively easy pregnancies and then 2 losses last year. So, I'm still holding my breath that these 2 will stick and on top of all the other concerns..... Well anyways, hopefully we can all figure out this twin thing together.

QM - Ugh. What a time of it! I really DO think it'll be fine. Babies do great even when women are sick the entire pregnancy. Hugs to you. hug.gif

Bekah - Hi!!!! Welcome to MDC! What have they told you about you identicals? Why do they think they're identical? I have so many questions about identicals and I don't even know where to begin.

AFM - We had a great vacation. I wasn't sick at all, just very, very tired. But, the day we got back, the nausea hit again, so that kinda made me feel a little better, if that makes any sense. My next u/s is supposed to be Wednesday August 8th as long as work doesn't send me on a trip. As soon as I tell them I'll stop traveling. But, with all the uncertainty I just don't know what to say and when to say it! I think if Wednesday goes well, I'll tell them after that. I'll update everyone after Wednesday's u/s. Wish me luck.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM

During my second ultrasound the doctor could see that they were in 2 separate sacs, but also had one sac enclosed around them. Meaning they came from the same egg. :) From what I hear it is not very common.

Stay at home wife and mommy to four beautiful girls Ashlyn (3.5), Sydney (2), and identical twins Cambrie and Acacia (6 months)   twins.gif

Old 08-04-2012, 12:37 PM

ah that is is what is called Mo/Di  or Monochorionic-Diamniotic

i wonder about the 2 placentas, i have heard it can go either way with mo/di but i also can't imagine how they could actually see that!

congrats of the twins!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 AM

I was checking out Dr. Luke's website and discovered that actually 65% of identicals have separate sacs and placentas! Not as uncommon as I thought. :)

Stay at home wife and mommy to four beautiful girls Ashlyn (3.5), Sydney (2), and identical twins Cambrie and Acacia (6 months)   twins.gif

Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 AM

I thought DS was going to be a chill baby because I didn't feel vigorous movement from him. I mentioned this once to the u/s tech and she laughed at me! She was like, Yeah, well, he is very active, you just can't feel it because you have an anterior placenta. Whoops! She was pretty much right. DS is not super active as kiddos go and does like to sit and concentrate on tasks he's into, but he does go-go-go all day. Kid does not stop (or nap - he gave up his nap verrrry early). With the twins, initially I felt B a lot more because he's higher up; then in was A, because his placenta is posterior whereas B's is anterior, and now I feel them both about the same. I think they move about the same amount. I have to say the feeling of two babies moving around in there is totally amazing and one of my favorite parts of my twin pregnancy!

Just for fun - the babies are growing extremely consistently and their heart rates are always within 5 beats of each other. I realize this probably just means that they are brothers of the same GA, but I can't help but wonder if they could possibly be identical? I'm almost sure they're not (hey, Clomid + strong family history of twins) but it would be such a surprise if they were. From what I've read, only 30% of MZ twins are di-di (same stat as you, rblakey, essentially) so it would be statistically unlikely as well. Anyone have anecdata to share?

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM

I have another question ... I'm noticing that I'm extremely short of breath these days (I'm 9 weeks, 2 days). I had shortness of breath in the first tri with my first two pregnancies, but this is ridiculous - like I feel out of breath after picking up a lightly cluttered living room. Shopping for groceries pretty much takes it out of me and all I want to do is nap when I get home.

Is this a first trimester thing? Or will this be an issue my entire twin pregnancy? I know there probably isn't much that can be done about it - just curious.

(Also, housekeeping note for the due date list - I changed my screen name from daceysmomma to SortaCrunchy)

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM

sortacrunchy - I don't recall feeling out of breath until late 2nd tri/all of 3rd tri but experienced total and utter exhaustion in the first trimester of both twin pregnancies.  It's pretty common, just a double whammy from hormones and your body working hard to grow those babies :)  FOr me, it got a little better in the 2nd trimester but goes downhill from there...

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I, too , have been super out of breath. I've read that it is typically caused by increased levels of progesterone. But, then if you have it for your first trimester, by the middle of your second, you just cant breath because youre out of room for your diaphragm to expand.

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Hi! I am Michelle and i have been stalking this board for a couple weeks or so. I dk everything i ternet related from a phone and i am not techno-savvy, so there are always weirds random punctuations and whatnot. I tried to copy and paste the initial.questions, but am having no luck, so i will just wing this intro. I have my second appointment this friday and i am hoping there are still two.in there( i was hoping.to.wait until after that appointment before i.officially joined here, but what the heck, right?). These will be kids 3 & 4. My other ones are almost 6 and 16 months. The newbies are due in mid February. The dr was fairly sure they were identical. I am sure any of you can understand the shock.of it all, so needless.to say, i did not ask him anything at all (other than, "are you SURE??"), and actually would not have known what to ask at that point in time anyway, even without the shock.factor. He very nonchalantly mentioned NOT seeing a membrane, but i didn't know what that meant. I feel like odds are in my favor that either they will see one this Friday with the office machine, pr hoefully send me to the radiology dept to get a scan done with a better machine. I will be around 12 1/2 weeks then (my dates are 4 days ahead of what they measured at, so i have been splitting the difference since i 100% know my dates with o/dtd are spot on, but that doesn't account for later implantation)...But from the u/s pics and all the info.i have managed to glean online, my us shows one circle with two little blobs in it. Every mono-di/mono-mono early u/s looks much like mine. The di-di pics show two circles with one blob in each. I have been reading Dr.Luke's book and trying to eat as much protein as possible. It is not going super well, because my appetite is not right still. I am also still bfing ds, which i want to put an end to because i want to make these babies GROW and also my breasts are finally really sore. Holy cow!!! This is long! I hope i get to stick around after all this.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

lilysmama- Welcome! You're in the feb ddc with me, too- right? My OB didnt see a membrane until 12 weeks, so  I wouldnt rule it out yet.

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM

i wanted to chime in on the out of breath issue, i had this a handful of times thru out my pregnancy and it was explained to me that it could simply be from the changes in your blood volume. you are increasing it FAST and at time when there is growth spurts it is a game of catch up for your body to oxygenate and circulate all of it. it can cause momentary low blood pressure, light headlessness and feeling like you can't catch your breath. it always passed in a day or so and all was good again.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

lilysmama- Welcome! You're in the feb ddc with me, too- right? My OB didnt see a membrane until 12 weeks, so  I wouldnt rule it out yet.
Yes...i am in the feb ddc too. I don't post a lot (it is such a pia posting with phone)(also, i am still nervous and posting makes things more real) yet though. Momo twins are soooo rare, that it doesn't make sense to worry about it until i have a real reason to. I have seen a ton of stories where they find the membrane later on. I plan on hitting up my dr with all kinds of questions about how he plans to deal with everything going forward. The internet is a double edged sword, because i am not blissfully unaware of risks/possible.complications etc, but i also.know.that they can be dealt with..so there is that. I just want to make sure he knows what he is doing (the backstory is that i have never seen an ob for anything....the dr i saw for the other kiddos is a family.practicioner and really good about respecting my choices about interventions/testing/drugs/etc. She has stopped delivering babies/providing prenatal care so i had to scramble arou.d to find someone else. This guy was the one on my insurance, and i had already made up my mknd that if i did not like him, i was going to call the hb midwife and finally have a hb. I did like him well enough (he was cool with me not testing..we did not talk about birth things yet)...but i really don't know if he is competent with twins. Sorry so long winded....

I alao feel like i get out of breath easier than i used to...but it has been about a zillion degrees lately, so there is that.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 PM

Me too - I have had that shortness of breath feeling throughout, but it was most noticeable in the 1st tri and now over the past few weeks (early 3rd tri). It can be related to exertion if I am really running around, but mostly it's not, it's random. And now, nearly constant. It is really unpleasant - sometimes I'm almost gagging trying to get enough air in. Adorkable, my doctor told me the same thing - it's because of rapidly expanding blood volume, which happens even more with twins. He says it's not the case that I'm actually not getting enough oxygen, it just feels that way and not to worry. Even at this stage he said my lungs/diaphragm aren't all that compressed - I was surprised to hear that. I am slightly anemic so maybe that also contributes. At around 30-32w blood volume is supposed to stablize a bit and it should get better, I hope that is the case! In the meantime, lying down on my side with pillow support seems to be the best way to deal with it.

lilysmama, welcome! ~12 weeks is supposed to be a lot more accurate for determining chorionicity, so hopefully you get an answer at the next appointment. I think you have a great outlook on it already.

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM

My official first appointment with my doctor is coming up here on the 21st. I will be over 12 weeks along and am just wondering if they will give me an ultrasound? I'm anxious to see my babes! I got spoiled in the beginning seeing them at 7 weeks for an ultrasound to date the pregnancy and then got to see them again at 8 weeks when my pregnancy symptoms pretty much disappeared. My doctor said "you don't have to be super sick to be healthy pregnant" so i'm trying not to worry. When everything is going healthy in a twin pregnancy, how many ultrasounds can I expect to get?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM

I had my appointment today. There are still two in there and they were moving all around and kicking and waving. He said they were measuring right on target. He was really weird though when i asked him about the membrane. So chorionicity is still not determined (it was weird. Either he was clueless about what i was talking about which i find hard to believe since he mentioned not seeing one last u/s, pr he was evading my questions. Either way i was not a.fan. He is planning to refer me to mfm at 20w for the a/s, and also said that is when they would look for the cord insertion/membrane, etc...and i am not comfortable waiting until then....especially since from all the ultrasounds i have been looking at over the last month, mine most closely matches a monochorionic one....and i while i am no expert, i did not see a membrane at all today. I feel like my twins are either mono-mono or more likely mono-di, but either way i would like to know one way or the other definitively (even though i know they can find the membrane later on and change the classification). He does do the every other week monitoring from 20 w on to check for size discordance so that is something. But i went ahead and scheduled an nt scan, just to get a different scan from someone else to have documentation of what things look like right now. He also said it looked like one big placenta....everything he has actually said pojnts to monochorion...except he won't commit or even acknowledge that it is info that should be out there. He is too nonchalant for me. On monday i am going to find out who the mfm he plans.to.refer me to, and i will call them directly and explain.my concerns and see if they can see me asap. If not i will call around until i find someone else. It is really frustrating...not only do i have to worry about the fact that i am.pregnant...and there are two babies...i have to worry that i am gettkng suboptimal care (but i have the power to change that...so i shall).

I would not have gotten an nt scan if all this weren't going on. Also, the obs dates match the measurements.of the babies so i will be. 13w3d or by my ovulation day 14 w, so kind of pushing it. I have a feeling already my risk will come back all.elevated (i am 39, plus multiples, plus the date thing..). Meh...

Rblakely---it seems like everything i have read about twin pregnancy involves more ultrasounds than a low risk singleton pregnancy, although i honestly don't know what that number entails or if it varies depending on the type of twins? I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I have had two so far for this pregnancy, and from what he has told me so far he does them at every visit which would be monthly until. 20 weeks and then twice a month. I think mfms do them as well, bit i don't know how often one normally sees them...? I don't believe that not being sick=not healthy. My dr seems to subscribe tk that school of thought as well(he really harped on it today). I have had been nauseas from 8-9 weeks until the last few days, but
really think pretty minor in the general scheme of the morning sickness spectrum, even for singletons. I think my los are doing okay so far (i may not be comfortable with his care for twins, but i will allow myself to believe that he can gauge doing well.or not...). Sorry for my novel....i am obsessed with all thing twins lately and.then this whole visit..ugh.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM

We normally skip all the unneccessary scans and tests, but I went in for the NT scan this week.  Got to see both babies !  One was measuring 12 wks 1 day and the other 12 wks 2 days, I was only 12 weeks on the dot that day, so they are perfect!  The doctor was a specialist and is going to follow my pregnancy along with my regular OB as we live in a small town that is not equiped to deal with premies, so if I deliver early, I will go to the bigger hospital about 20 mins away and be delvierd by this specialist.  We found out that both babies each have their own placenta and sac, so they were doing great.  Dr said we still have a 17% chance that they could be identical though.  Can't wait for the gender scan!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 PM

can i ask why your doctor gas you a 17% chance that they are identical?  i didn't think the odds were anywhere near that high? and just doing a tiny bit of math based on overall odds makes me think they are way way lower than that.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM

rblakley, I think each practice handles ultrasounds for twins a little differently, but I can tell you what mine does - my twins are di-di and after the first tri, I had one screening (NT) scan at right around 12 weeks at a hospital, then a growth scan once a month starting at 16w. (So really once a month from the 2nd tri.) I also had a cervical length scan once every 2 weeks from 16w-28w. On the cervical length ultrasounds that didn't coincide with a growth scan, I usually got to see my babies for a minute and hear their heartbeats as well. And at 20w I had a level II (standard for all pg at my practice). Personally DH and I are fine with multiple u/s, so we were happy with this schedule, so not sure what my doctors would have said if I had preferred less. My next one is at 32w and I need to ask them about the 3rd tri - not sure if they increase in frequency or if they just add NSTs at some point. Hope that is helpful!

lilysmama, ugh, sorry to hear about your negative experience with your doctor. That would make me crazy too. My doctors told me that the optimal time for determining chorionicity is ~12w, and after that it diminishes significantly (though I know doctors don't always agree on these things). Mine were pretty clearly di-di but the doctors were still really into having an official determination at the NT scan. I would hope that if there was a chance that your twins are mo-mo that they would NOT wait until 20w to figure that out! Sheesh.

adorkable, now you have me trying to compute. ;) AFAIK, ~30% of twins are MZ and ~30% of MZ twins are di-di. So maybe I'm a little off and that percentage is based on di-di sets known to be the same sex? In a di-di set of unknown sexes, it would have to be lower mathematically. (Right? I'm in the humanities...) I will be seriously shocked if mine are MZ!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 PM

i have to go do math now, in totally curious. but i am thinking the ~30% is MZ is off by a lot.

notes2.gif off to go be a math nerd

Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyandmikey View Post

We normally skip all the unneccessary scans and tests, but I went in for the NT scan this week.  Got to see both babies !  One was measuring 12 wks 1 day and the other 12 wks 2 days, I was only 12 weeks on the dot that day, so they are perfect!  The doctor was a specialist and is going to follow my pregnancy along with my regular OB as we live in a small town that is not equiped to deal with premies, so if I deliver early, I will go to the bigger hospital about 20 mins away and be delvierd by this specialist.  We found out that both babies each have their own placenta and sac, so they were doing great.  Dr said we still have a 17% chance that they could be identical though.  Can't wait for the gender scan!

Me too :) Glad to have someone else in the same boat- having two plans :)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM

ok here is some math nerd for y'all.

I'm using the numbers roughly from the mid 80's since that is the only way to take fertility treatments out of the numbers.

if no fertility treatment was used and all other things are equal...

• chances of giving birth to twins about ~20 per 1000 back then or 2%
  • chances of giving birth to MZ twins ~3 per 1000 or .3%
  • number of MZ that are Di/Di  ~25% of the .3% mentioned above or .075%

So...

.075% is 3.75% of 2%  (happy for someone to check that math, please)

so that doc was not that far off if he didn't take into account that the twins were Di/di, since those numbers would have been ~15%, if no fertility treatment was used and all other things are equal

but since he saw them as di/di, the number get way way smaller. With there only being a 3.75% chance of them being MZ

am i thinking this out correctly?

Tags
My Brest Friend Twins Plus Deluxe Nursing Pillow , Magical Multiple Moments Parents Of Multiples Share Stories And Advice On Raising Happy Healthy Twin
User Tag List