Pregnant with Twins? Join the club :) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What number of children is this for you?
1st & 2nd 24 30.00%
2nd & 3rd 31 38.75%
3rd & 4th 13 16.25%
4th & 5th 7 8.75%
5th & 6th 0 0%
6th & 7th 2 2.50%
7th & 8th 0 0%
8th & 9th 3 3.75%
9th & 10th 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 448 Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

I'm new to the thread, but I'm glad to know about it!  I'm about 10 weeks, probably a little behind that due to late ovulation, but so far they haven't adjusted my date. Due March 18,2013. To my untrained eye they seem to be di/di but the ultrasound was blurry, so I'm not sure if the placenta was fully formed yet, separated or fused. shrug.gif

I will be cloth diapering and breast feeding - not sure about co-sleeping for the long term but they will be in a co-sleeper next to my bed for as long as their weight allows. I'm going to get the full sized version. 

I think that's it for now!

#122 of 448 Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Welcome sekenamoon!  Congrats on your babies :)

I met my new OB today at the other hospital as I finally got to say goodbye to my high risk team.  He is awesome!  He is, of course, one of 10 OB's on call so there's no guarantee that he will be the one there when I deliver BUT he says he is fine with me having both babies in an L&D room instead of the OR, no IV (just a hep lock, in case), no epidural, can birth standing up, squatting, or on my side...and he is fine with a breech Baby B as long as Baby A is head down.  SO wonderful!  I can't begin to tell you how much better this makes me feel about going to the hospital. 

And, believe it or not, on the phone last night my midwife brought up doing a stretch and sweep at my next appointment (!!) for no apparent reason.  I'm only 36 weeks!  This is the second time she has brought up induction.  So I told her that I would like to wait and see where we're at then, and as long as babies are doing well, I don't see any reason to rush them out. 

When talking with the OB today he asked my thoughts on induction and I told him and he said he would be perfectly fine going to 40 weeks!  I am so so glad he is not one of those doctors to intervene just for the sake of doing *something*.  He actually seems more easygoing than my midwife....wasn't expecting that!

Anyways, just had to share cause I'm so happy to be with an OB that is so awesome :)

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#123 of 448 Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM

That's so great that your OB is willing to be so great about everything!  One nurse (not a MW) was just like your MW, but I won't be seeing her too much. My doctor seems calm and upbeat, and doesn't make a drama out of everything.   They are having me do the gestational diabetes test at week 12 and I'm seeing a nutritionist, but that's about it for now. I'll learn more on sept 14th

#124 of 448 Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 PM

I've never heard of doing the GD test so early....I thought it was always around 26-28 weeks.  Good nutrition is definitely super important, and even more so in a twin pregnancy so the nutritionist is probably not a bad idea.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#125 of 448 Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM

My BMI is pretty high, and it's a teaching hospital, so I'm not surprised to be a guinnea pig for a new model of Obesity Pregnancy.  I'm ok with it, it's only the hour test.

#126 of 448 Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Mamalovex3: so happy you are at 36 weeks!!!  That's awesome! 

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#127 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mamalove- that's great! My OB is like that, but my high risk team isnt. Im hoping to be in your position at 36 weeks- what a relief!

Welcome sekenamoon!

Well, we went to our gender ultrasound yesterday:

GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!!!!!!

I was surprised, but happy nonetheless. We were both hoping for a boy, but Im just glad they are both still there and both healthy and happy and growing well.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#128 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 AM

Wait, Adaline'sMama, you are not saying surprise trips, right?! In any case, congratulations on your healthy, wonderful girls!

Sekenamoon, welcome! I remember you from somewhere - ttc One Thread maybe? Congratulations on your twins! I'm surprised they didn't tell you at the 10w u/s at least a tentative diagnosis about chorionicity. I was told at barely 6w, but then again mine implanted one oppsite sides of the ute so it was clear as day. I bet you could call back and ask if you're curious! My 2cents about GD testing and GD is do your research. Being labeled GD leads to a lot of interventions fast, and yet its definition, diagnosis, and risks are controversial within the medical field, even within US obstetric practice, though most docs won't admit this to you. (In many countries outside of the US, standrad practice is to test for it only if you have a history of Type II diabetes/insulin resistance in the family.) My personal expereince is, I have suffered from a tendency towards low blood sugar my whole life, but my 1hour glucola test always comes out near the limit (my OB uses the strict criteria) and they always make a big deal of it. Then I do additional (highly unpleasant) testing and lo and behold, not only do I not have GD, I have low BS. But seriously, feel free to ignore my wholly unsolicited advice. ;) 

mamalove, that is totally awesome! You're inspiring me to ask a lot more Qs at my next appt. I have already confirmed that at my practice they'll deliver a breech B vaginally at my request and that I don't have to birth in an OR, but I am soooo nervous about negotionating my way out of continuous monitoring (= not being able to move & pushing on my back, bleeeeecccchhhh). Also I wonder what the deal is with epidural with both vertex. (I was told for breech B epidural was mandatory - you too?) I was kinda waiting to see if the little guys would cooperate and flip vertex early but based on kicking (I know, not entirely certain) they are still flipping back and forth lots at nearly 32w. Are yours settled into position? You must feel so wonderful getting to 36. Yay for non-induction-happy docs!

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#129 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM

Adaline'sMama - congrats on your baby girls!  So exciting :) 

gozal - My midwife is obviously fine with intermittent monitoring but the hospital policy is that once I'm in *active* labour, there is a transfer of care and the OB is in charge.  Sometimes a portable EFM is available and that way you can at least be up and about.  I know up until the delivery of Baby A, he is pretty cool about me doing whatever, but then they want to monitor Baby B closely so will probably be continuous from that point, which I think I'll be ok with anyway.  My OB is ok with no epidural period, but, of course, the catch is that if something does go awry and we wind up needing an emergency c-section, I'll be put under general anesthesia.  Both  my babies are vertex but if Baby B flips, he will try an external version or just do a breech delivery, he said either is fine.  My Baby B is presenting and has been settled head down in my pelvis for probably 2 months now..?  Baby A was still flipping around quite a bit after Baby B had settled (transverse, vertex, some weird diagonal stuff lol) but has been head down for the last few visits.

#130 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
mamalove - I'm so excited for you and your encouraging health care workers!!!! You're SO lucky to have a supportive team. And, kudos to you for setting yourself up for success. smile.gif I'm SO excited for you!!!! How far along were you when M & Z made an appearance?

sekenamoon - Yeah for another "March DDC" member. (But, I don't think I'll make it my due date of March 5th!) Yeah, I've been thinking about a lot of questions about co-sleeping and breastfeeding, too, especially if I have preemies (which is a strong possibility for me). I think as my questions form in my head more, I'll start asking them in the premie section and here in the twin section.

Adaline's mommy - Congrats on your girls!!!!!!! So exciting! Wow, a house full of girls!

AFM - My next u/s is a week from Thursday. I'm just hoping I see 2 healthy babies. Good heartbeats and good growth. I'll be 13w2d, so they need to be at least that big. I'm officially 12 weeks today. When's the 2nd trimester officially begin?

ETA - I'm so excited I finally figured out how to post a pic: joy.gif

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#131 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Had a growth u/s today....happy to say that despite yucky gastroenteritis and not eating for nearly 3 days that all is good!  We are at 28 weeks.  Their growth is both at the 55th percentile.  Fluid amounts normal.  Cervix is good and long.  Their positions are ever changing.  Really, with the complete changes at every ultrasound, I'm not sure how I can't tell!  Its hilarious!  Even during the scan A went from Transverse to vertex...and is probably breech as I sit here typing!  Who knows!   

Now, I'm just trying to figure out where I want to deliver and part of that will be based on position later on.  We're in a holding pattern...a good one, so I just need to remember to kick back, enjoy and gestate our kiddos!

#132 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM

QMtwin can i ask if if your di/di girls are DZ or MZ? i was just realizing that since this second set of twins you have now is not a case of hyper ovulation since they are MZ, that you are in a pretty rare category, do you have 2 sets of MZ? or one set of each type? either way pretty amazing.

and hooray for good growing twins, what amazing advice to set back and enjoy gestation now, i really wish i had had the time to o that when i was preggo, it all seems such a rushed blur now.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#133 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies, Thanks for all the congrats :)

When you birth di-di twins, is it baby , placenta, baby, placenta or is it baby, baby, placenta, placenta?

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#134 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM

i was told it usually is baby, baby placenta, placenta.

that is how mine was, but my placentas ended up being fused (despite them telling me multiple times right up to the end that they were wonderfully in two totally separate parts of my uterus, dorks)

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#135 of 448 Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Hey ladies, Thanks for all the congrats :)

When you birth di-di twins, is it baby , placenta, baby, placenta or is it baby, baby, placenta, placenta?

My doc today told me that they don't want the placentas to come out before the baby in either case. Not sure if that is a common rule of thumb or what....

Stay at home wife and mommy to four beautiful girls Ashlyn (3.5), Sydney (2), and identical twins Cambrie and Acacia (6 months)   twins.gif

#136 of 448 Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post

mamalove - I'm so excited for you and your encouraging health care workers!!!! You're SO lucky to have a supportive team. And, kudos to you for setting yourself up for success. smile.gif I'm SO excited for you!!!! How far along were you when M & Z made an appearance?

I went to 38w2d with the girls.  Coincidentally I also went to 38w2d with my DS as well!  If I repeat that pattern, these babies will be Labour Day babies lol

QM - do you know the sex of your twins?  I can't remember.  As for place of birth, are you deciding between home and hospital or between different hospitals?  I finally went to check out the hospital I will be at this time and it seems a million times more natural birth friendly than the hospital I had the girls at. 

As for placentas, I've been told babies first, then placentas.  My first set had either a large single placenta or two fused (no one really looked at it....?).  This set is definitely di-di, we had an early u/s to check, but in later u/s both placentas are very close together so they might have fused as well.

#137 of 448 Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM

I know most of you are experienced twin nursers. lol.gif But, I found this article and just loved it, so I thought I'd share. It's SO sweet (or maybe I'm an emotional pregnant lady).

http://mothering.com/breastfeeding/two-pairs-and-a-trio

#138 of 448 Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

x- Im loving your new siggy.

SIDS happens. 

#139 of 448 Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM

ok that woman nailed it!  Water balloons, biglaugh.gifthat is exactly what they were like in the early days! that really was a wonderful article, thanks for sharing, i am going to save that link for my twins club.

#140 of 448 Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM

I just loved this line: "nursing twins is frequently a circus, at times an altar, occasionally a battle zone, always a reunion." I want to memorize that and say it again sometime....

And this, "One evening, bitten once too often, I'd had enough. "Weaned! And weaned!" I proclaimed as I plucked each boy from my chest. I had been climbed on and tugged at and gnawed on past the point of human endurance. I handed each boy a fistful of Cheerios and started supper for the rest of the family. For 45 minutes I lived the life of a non-nursing mother. And at 6:15 we sat down to nurse again."

#141 of 448 Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post

I just loved this line: "nursing twins is frequently a circus, at times an altar, occasionally a battle zone, always a reunion." I want to memorize that and say it again sometime....
And this, "One evening, bitten once too often, I'd had enough. "Weaned! And weaned!" I proclaimed as I plucked each boy from my chest. I had been climbed on and tugged at and gnawed on past the point of human endurance. I handed each boy a fistful of Cheerios and started supper for the rest of the family. For 45 minutes I lived the life of a non-nursing mother. And at 6:15 we sat down to nurse again."

ROTFLMAO.gif  Yes, that's it exactly!  I've been reading The Series of Unfortunate Events books for very light summer reading, and I'm pretty sure one of my twins is Sunny Baudelaire.  OUCH!!  (still nursing at 17mo and counting) 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#142 of 448 Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM

My doctors appointment went really well. I really liked my doc and so did DH. We will get an ultrasound every time we go which I am really excited about. I was so amazed by how much the babes had developed in just 4 weeks! They went from looking like jellybeans to a baby! With fingers and toes and kicking each other and so perfectly formed! The doc called them boys because of how they kept kicking each other. We are really hoping he is right, but will be happy either way. We have 2 girls already and I really want to be done after this pregnancy. DH will agree to being done if they are boys, but will need some convincing I think if they are girls. He would really love to have a son and so would I. 

Stay at home wife and mommy to four beautiful girls Ashlyn (3.5), Sydney (2), and identical twins Cambrie and Acacia (6 months)   twins.gif

#143 of 448 Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Adorkable: Our first set are definitely DZ.  Never had even their blood tested to know if types are the same of diff...but Q is her daddy's and M is all my genes!  It was obvious from the moment of birth! 

Mamalove: We do not know the sex of our little ones.  We didn't find out with the girls until they were born and we are planning to find out at the birth of these too.  I'm trying to decide between hospitals.  The one I delivered the girls at was OK...4 min from our house, I like the OB's in my local practice (its also where I work!), but I must admit, I wasn't thrilled about my nursing care at the hospital.  And, the other hospital (1.5 hours away) has a better TOLAC/VBAC rate and lower c-section rate in general (lowest in the state).  My local OB says he'll do anything in his power to give me a good opportunity to have a VBAC, but its not all about him.  If he's going to be there to labor with me, great, but its just not the way it works.  And, its a 1 in 5 that he'd be on call.  He's actually out of the country around my 37th week.  One of the OBs in the local practice would deliver all twins by c-section if it was her choice.  Hmmm... we do laugh about it, but with that knowledge, I've not seen her once for an appt this pregnancy!  :)  So, I'm going to, "interview," the other OB group...any questions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.   

#144 of 448 Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 AM

QM - Very exciting!  I've found out the sex for all my other pregnancies and really wanted a surprise this time and I am so excited to meet these babies and find out who they are!  I think it's definitely worth shopping around for an OB and a practice that you like, although, like you, I find it incredibly frustrating that even when you find one you click with, there is no guarantee that they'll be there for the birth :(

#145 of 448 Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Hi everyone, some of you may remember me from some other posts.  I didn't write often, but found this thread and this site so refreshing and actually a real life savor at times.  I wanted to thank all of you who answered my questions and gave me hope while I was battling the medical establishment durning my pregnancy.  It really helped me get through!  I would like to say I went into labor July 25, 2012 when I was 37 weeks.  I was supposed to be induced the next day, but with the help of some sex, evening of primrose oil and a membrane sweep, I went into labor on my own that morning.  My mono-di twin boys were delivered at 10:49pm and 10:53pm at 5lbs 8oz and 5lbs 3oz.  I was able to have a totally natural, med free vaginal delivery!  This was after Baby B flipped and went into a footling breech position, with his cord prolapsed and presenting- yikes!  My OB/Peri is very skilled in breech deliveries (which is why I scoped the city and picked him) and while all the residents were calling out 'C-section doctor,' my OB said no and stuck is entire arm in my you know what and with a towel (because my lil boy kept slipping) grabbed his foot and pulled him out!  It didn't feel good at all, but I didn't care b/c I didn't tear and I didn't have to be cut and I didn't have to have any drugs.  This was so important to me!  So I just wanted to encourage those of you who haven't delivered yet to hang in there and go after the birthing you want.  I really had to fight the hospital and the nurses to honor my birth plan and while I had to make a lot of compromises (especially one of them being delivering in the OR on the worst table known to man, and lying flat on my back with stirrups,) I got my most important wish of not having a C-section, so stick to your guns.  I said 'NO' a lot while I was in labor.  Everything is going well and I'm exclusively nursing with the help of those ridiculously huge twin nursing pillows!  I nurse them at the same time and I have to say the pillow really works ;

Good luck to everyone! 

Me-38

DH-46

DD-Born 7/19/09 Natural,unmedicated hospital hypno birth! energy.gif

Pregnant with Mono-di twin boys, due some time in mid to late July 2012!babyboy.gifbabyboy.gif

#146 of 448 Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Congratulations on your babies Gindugirl!  And way to go on your natural birth!!  That is awesome :)  I hate the fact that twin mamas have to fight so hard but it really is worth it and I'm glad to hear you held onto what was best for you and your babies :)  Also glad to hear nursing is going well, we loved our pillow too...what a lifesaver!  Congrats again!

#147 of 448 Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

33 weeks, 1 day with mono-di twin girls. Hoping for 35 weeks and no NICU time.

#148 of 448 Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats GinduGirl!!! Yay!!!

blankpages- is this your second set of twins?

SIDS happens. 

#149 of 448 Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 AM

GinduGirl: Congrats on your boys!

Adaline'sMama: I love your new picture - your little girl is so cute!

#150 of 448 Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM

gindu girl - Congrats!!!!! What a wonderful story!

Blank pages - Good luck!!!! It sounds like you're well on your way!

AFM - Next ultrasound on Thursday....

Tags
My Brest Friend Twins Plus Deluxe Nursing Pillow , Magical Multiple Moments Parents Of Multiples Share Stories And Advice On Raising Happy Healthy Twin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page