Twin nursing pillow - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've heard rave reviews from people I know who have twins about this pillow:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/170871815602?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I've never once used a My Breast Friend and found it comfortable. I always felt like I had to sit up too straight. I like to lounge while I nurse, but Im not even sure if that is possible with two. So, I was looking online for a boppy style twin pillow. Has anyone used one of these?
http://www.twinnursingpillow.org/

I dislike that it has a backrest, because it seems like you could only really nurse in football hold that way.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 25 Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM

I used the EZ2Nurse pillow literally every day - many times a day - for over a year.  We almost always did football hold while tandem nursing, it was easiest.  I also liked the way the sides are sloped inward to keep babies from rolling off, that was helpful in the early days when they were still small.  The EZ2Nurse also has a small back pillow and I found that it saved my back when I spent long hours nursing and nursing (..and nursing...).  I scored a free MyBrestFriend Twins nursing pillow this time around and I'm excited to try it and see if it's different/better.  I've never seen the Z pillow or heard from someone that used it.

Also, it is possible do what my LLL leader calls laid back nursing with twins.  You just kind of lean back, supported by pillows and can have babies kind of lay on top of you, either on their bellies with their bodies going down your abdomen or to the side.  Didn't really work for me until they were able to support their heads somewhat and were a little stronger.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#3 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 AM

I also used the EZ2Nurse pillow everyday for the first six months.  The sloping sides make it easier to fall asleep in the chair while nursing which is the only way I got any sleep the first couple months. 

I throw in my two cents about something here, as they grow you can change the way you nurse.  I think having a good supportive pillow in the begining is very important while you try to learn to latch two babies.  You don't have to use the pillow that comes with the pillow.  I used a bed pillow because that way I could rest my head and fall asleep but still had the support.  As they grow and get better at nursing you can get more comfortable.

Around 6 months I started nuring one traditionally and one in the football and I could use a regular boppy and a smaller child's pillow.  this was much more comfy.  Now at a year, they both sit on my legs facing me and flop over onto small pillow on the sides of the recliner. 

Speaking of recliners... Having a nice big recliner was a must for us.  If you can afford one, go get one. 

Good luck!  I have so enjoyed nursing my twins even after a really rough start. 

#4 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM

The Twin Z pillow is awesome! That is the one from the website you were referring to.
www.twinnursingpillow.org
The benefits...
Super comfortable! Love the back support.
Great for breast or bottlefeeding, and it has many other uses besides just feeding. Tummy time and sitting up. Highly recommend! A twin mommy must have!
#5 of 25 Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 PM

I ordered a Twin Z pillow pillow a few months ago, my twins are coming next week so I can update then about how it works.. !

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#6 of 25 Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks!

I like the my breast friend one, but I just loved my boppy for so many things- tummy time, propping baby up for tickles and cuteness watching, and sitting on after birth. (I still have my old boppy for that.)

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 25 Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 PM

That is the best thing about the Twin Z Pillow, you can do all those things including breastfeeding, BUT the part that is the best is that my girls get to be so close and snuggly together. It is so cute when they hold hands. So precious I can't stand it!!!
#8 of 25 Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I got the twin z pillow, and so far i've tried it out with two baby dolls. it seems like something that will be super comfortable to use. Anyway, the only thing i dislike about it is that the cover is WAY brighter than it looks on the website. Im going to re-dye it :) 

I may still get an ez2nurse pillow at the twin consignment sale.

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 25 Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM

update on my Twin Z pillow- my twins are 4 weeks old and I have found it to not be usable. if you are on the smaller side (I am a size 4) I found that the waist area is too big and the twins often sink between my waist and the pillow- I think if you are a bit larger in the waist it would be perfect but for me i have found to mostly unusable sadly because even with the clip at the smallest setting its still too large for me.

#10 of 25 Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

it happened- that sucks. Im not super skinny, but now Im wondering, mine has no clips or straps or anything. Were there extra parts I was supposed to order?

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 AM

here the the set  up that i liked.

i had/have a EZ2Nurse twin pillow, i dont use the extra back section, i use a nice pillow of mine buckled up against my back instead.

in the first months i would sit in bed,

put another pillow horizontally in the small of my back,

then buckle the twin nursing pillow, with my nice pillow upright against my back inside the strap.

then a large boppy style pillow under my knees curving towards my body, this was the great trick i figured out

not only would the bobby pillow raise my knees up and take strain of my back, but the wings of it sticking out on each side supported the edges of the twin nursing pillow and kept the babies safely on it and some of hte weight off my thighs. i could reach them and lift the m into place one by one once i got set up and i could even sleep like this with them after a nursing.

i later got fancy and added a pillow over my lower legs that proped up an iPad and i watched 6 seasons of Bones on netflix over the next few months with my headphones on while they nursed or slept. yeah i spent a lot of time in that set up, it was really comfy.   i also figure out that there was enough of a gap between the firm edge of hte nursing pillow and my stomach to pick one baby up and let them "sit" on the edge with their feet tucked down between it and me and lay on my shoulder for burping, cuddles one on one or whenever, while the other one slept soundly or kept nursing.

when i did have them on two boppies, i think i vast preferred the freedon of two separate ones, there was stages of steeling binkies or one kicking around while the other dozed off that having them atached would have made  lot harder. plus there was a lot of times where dad would coem to bed or on the living room floor and we would both pull a baby and a boppy up and get some tummy play time with one of them.  i hapened to use these Cuddle-U Nursing Pillow rather than the boppy brand (i actually had a boppy too since i got them all super cheep at a twin consignment sale so i didnt have to take them all in and out of the bedroom 3 times a day.  they are a bit bigger, and i liked the variety that afforded us on uses, and the strap, while funny to use when they are super tiny can in handy a lot as they used them for napping later on

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#12 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

update on my Twin Z pillow- my twins are 4 weeks old and I have found it to not be usable. if you are on the smaller side (I am a size 4) I found that the waist area is too big and the twins often sink between my waist and the pillow- I think if you are a bit larger in the waist it would be perfect but for me i have found to mostly unusable sadly because even with the clip at the smallest setting its still too large for me.

sorry that is not working for you, yeah i really ed that the EX2Nurse pillow is more of a firm block of foam with a first edge. when they were tiny tiny i rolled a towel in a tight roll and wrapped in just in-between it and my waste to give it a lip and also sometimes used the flat side. once the were just slightly bigger i found it fit great, m very average size and had no pregnancy weight to pad me past the first week.

if you have joined a twin club, you may ask your contact to ask around for some other pillows to test out, many folks have one or two in their closet waiting for the next sale and half have never been used! i got mine for 15$ from a lady that decided not to nurse (of course they are useful for so much more but that was just what this lady was like eyesroll.gif

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#13 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Awesome, thanks!

I like the my breast friend one, but I just loved my boppy for so many things- tummy time, propping baby up for tickles and cuteness watching, and sitting on after birth. (I still have my old boppy for that.)

ive been having some tailbone issues and my boppy has become a fixture on my office chair!

#14 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy1122 View Post

That is the best thing about the Twin Z Pillow, you can do all those things including breastfeeding, BUT the part that is the best is that my girls get to be so close and snuggly together. It is so cute when they hold hands. So precious I can't stand it!!!

Hi , so are you connected to the Twin Z Pillow in some way, i see that the only three post you have ever made on mothering.com are in praise of it.  You should come check out the rest that mothing.com has to offer! Or if in fact, your only interest is advertising, then we have advertising memberships available.

hope you come join us for more!

#15 of 25 Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

I could see the Twin Z pillow being better once they are a bit older- if I lived near a twin club I would try to sell it but Im in Europe and in a rural town-- no twins.. let alone a club!

#16 of 25 Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Avidly reading along...daydreaming about a tablet...

Can I hijack and ask a recliner question? I have heard this from other twin moms, but I can't figure out how it works. We've coslept with DS since he was a newborn so it's not that I'm squeamish about tossing aside scare propoganda about that stuff, but I can't figure how it would be safe to sleep with two newborns in a recliner. Not saying that it isn't - just that I can't figure it out for myself. (BTW, I'm preparing not to be able to cosleep with the twins in the same way as I did with DS, because I'm not sure it can be safely done.) If you did it, how did you do it? How long did you use the recliner for? We don't have much room so this would likely we a temporary purchase we make secondhand, if we get one at all. With DS I found I needed to sit up straight to BF for the first weeks, then I would just lie down at night and that was that.

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#17 of 25 Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Frankly I can't see how a recliner could be safe. And I'm not sure why so many folks still do it when it is specify mentioned in infant injury reports.
I never slept anywhere but my wide open specially set up bed or on the floor with them, and wouldn't.

Now I did sleep in a reclined position with my nursing pillow, but there were safely tucked with firm rolled reviving blankets and the only thing they could have rolled onto (they were too young to roll themselves) was my firm bare bed.. I thought about it a lot and it felt safe. I also never did this at night, but rather for 15 min snoozes mid morning.

#18 of 25 Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Never did the recliner thing, either.  That would definitely make me nervous, but we did cosleep with a sidecar arrangement with our twins.  For the early weeks, I mostly just sat up against my headboard and snoozed while my twins nursed and slept on the EZ2nurse pillow.  When my dh/oldest ds (14y) woke up, they'd take them down for a couple hours and let me get some solid, alone sleep.    

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#19 of 25 Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM

I used my recliner to make nursing work.  I felt really unsafe in the bed with them and they both wanted to nurse at the same time all the time so I felt completly safe in my recliner.  I used my nursing pillow with the babies kinda of crisscrossed infront of me.  My recliner is big so no one was going to fall onto the floor.  I slept so lightly I woke up at the slightest movement (even that sleep deprived).  I never got more than a three hours at a time.  Once we could football hold they were tucked under my arms on the firm nursing pillow.  I would just lean back and get some sleep while they nursed/slept. 

Statistically safe or not, it is how I felt most comfortable and safe with them.  I never once woke up with a baby unsafely positioned.  Maybe I was just lucky, but it was the only way for me to get through those first months.  We still at 14 months kick back in the recliner and take a nurse nap from time to time.  HTH.

#20 of 25 Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM

I never got a recliner but I did often nap with them on the EZ2Nurse pillow while sitting leaning back on the sofa.  I never felt unsafe, in fact, having them so close I think made me super attuned to them and I would wake as soon as they made the slightest movement or the tiniest noise. 

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#21 of 25 Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM

i think the issue and risk about recliners is about using normal bed or throw pillows, often many of them, to prop mother and baby(ies) up. i have sat awake on my recliner with my EZ2nurse pillow crammed in between the arms, i actually moved it in front of my computer in the early days so they could sleep like that while i learned how to be a twin mommy online. and yah i will say that how i happen to have it did feel relatively safe, but i also had a firm flat totally square nursing pillow in a totally firm square (ikea square!) armchair. nobody was going anywhere, heck i couldn't even move if i needed too. and of course i was awake, i was totally upright. 

but what im saying is that yes i can see that would a full twin nursing pillow and everything fitting just right, that i can see how a reasonable safe set up could happen.

#22 of 25 Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Oh I completly agree, I never would have felt safe with just bed pillows propping us up with newborns.  The EZ2nurse pillow is so big and so solid there is no risk of anyone getting trapped in it. 

#23 of 25 Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM

I hear you guys, this is exactly what I resent about all that so-called safety propoganda - I really thinks we mamas have a good instinct about what is safe and not. Not that I don't appreciate valid safety info, of course - I'm thinking more of the "taking your baby to bed is a death sentence" stance of many mainstream pediatric organizations in the US. I know many don't feel safe sleeping with a small baby as I did - in fact, I planned on co-sleeping but first on using some kind of co-sleeper for the "fourth trimester" with DS. Did not work, he would not sleep anywhere but on me. So I learned to BF while lying on my side and holding him in the crook of my arm. I felt 100% safe this way. But many don't. This time I'm thinking I'll co-bed them in a pack n play pushed up against my side of the bed, co-sleeper style, and take them one at a time to BF on my arm (the arm facing the edge of the bed). We'll set up our bed for safety as we did with DS in terms of bedding, etc. DS can then sleep between me and DH. I don't know that this will work, but I think it'll be our initial set-up. I can definitely see using the nursing pillow in bed for tandem BF. I'm not sure the recliner would work for me, but I'm glad to know it has worked for others and how you did it so I can have that for my bag of tricks! So the twin nursing pillow fits within the space of a typical recliner seat? I was picturing it sort of propped on the arm rests.

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#24 of 25 Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 AM

the twin nursing pillow DOES NOT fit with the arms of most recliners that i have found. it takes a extra wide to really make that work.

i think the hard part of the whole safety thing is that everyone thinks they are the ones that know better, and while tons of mommas can make rally smart choices, i doubt the ones that made the wrong choice did that on purpose. really doubt that anyone said, "wow this looks really iffy, lets fall asleep and see how it goes" so accidents happen because too often we think we safer than we really are. how do you deal with that? i personally have no idea, i struggle to be honest with myself and if to many folks disagree i rally try to understand why and hear them out.

#25 of 25 Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM

I think the pillow would be too high to be any good if propped on top of the arm rests.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page