Mothering Forum banner

Some ridiculous twin questions

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  lobilichetti 
#1 ·
So, I have no experience with twins whatsoever. No twins in my family, no friends with twins, nothing. I've read two books: Mothering Multiples and When your Expecting Twins, Triplets, and Quads. I'm low on resources, and Im one of those people that needs to read like 10 million and 5 things before I feel relaxed. So, any good book recs, forums that are a little more active, or anything? The twin group here in Louisville seems to be mostly older people who have twins in middle/high school. So, if you are a twin/multiples mama or if you just happen to know lots about twins, please help me answer some questions.

When one twin cries, will the other one cry too? Will I have a constant mess of crying babies?

Is it feasible to EBF twins if you've never had supply issues before? (Ill supplement if I have to, but I'd like to try).

Am I going to feel like a cow, with a baby at my boobs all the time?

Does your belly hurt a lot when it stretches out with two babies inside? The pictures look so painful.

Can you put twins skin to skin (like kind of swaddled in the same blanket?) to calm them, or is that just asking for two upset babies close together?

Can you fit into regular maternity clothes? Twin mamas look so much bigger, that it seems like none of my old clothes will work. What do you wear when you get huge?

How do you answer the questions about IVF/Fraternal or Identical/ ect? Already, almost everyone I've told asks if I used fertility drugs. I didnt, but I dont think its their buisness. What do you say?

Is it possible that I have fraternal twins based on OPK strips? I o'ed on Friday and then on Saturday the strips were light and then on Sunday they were super dark again, looking like I o'ed twice.

How do you go places with infant twins? I have a really nice stroller, but how do you push a cart and a stroller at the same time? Just dont? Have DH come with? Always, for like three years?

I think that about sums it up, for now anyway. TIA!

See less See more
Reactions: SortaCrunchy
#2 ·
When one twin cries, will the other one cry too? Will I have a constant mess of crying babies?

I found with mine that they took turns-- well, they took turns with they "guess why I'm crying" kind of thing. Hungry or otherwise uncomfortable was pretty together for awhile.

Is it feasible to EBF twins if you've never had supply issues before? (Ill supplement if I have to, but I'd like to try).

My twins were EBF. They are my first. It helps a lot to have support people, so your focus can be on feeding babies and keeping yourself rested and fed. You will mostly nurse for the first few weeks, if your experience is like mine. I was told to expect them to nurse every 2-3 hours. Well, that is start time to start time, and it's unrealistic to expect a newborn to go 3 hours.

A twin nursing pillow helps a great deal. I used the EZ2 nurse pillow, and it got used for a lot more than nursing.

I really felt more like a bear with twin cubs, especially when they were older and wiggly.

Does your belly hurt a lot when it stretches out with two babies inside? The pictures look so painful.

My skin did not hurt, but I itched. When I was very pregnant I couldn't get up off my back from bed anymore. I needed a push to roll over, too!

Can you put twins skin to skin (like kind of swaddled in the same blanket?) to calm them, or is that just asking for two upset babies close together?

Never tried that, but I did swaddle them and place them in the same bassinett. They seemed to like that until they were mobile.

Can you fit into regular maternity clothes? Twin mamas look so much bigger, that it seems like none of my old clothes will work. What do you wear when you get huge?

I could not. I was huge. There's a picture of me in a black and white outfit, and I look like an orca. I don't remember where I found my stuff, but it was few and far between.

How do you answer the questions about IVF/Fraternal or Identical/ ect? Already, almost everyone I've told asks if I used fertility drugs. I didnt, but I dont think its their buisness. What do you say?

Either answer honestly (Wow, that's kind of personal.) or tounge in cheek. (no, we just had lots of sex.) I found that the fertility drug question bothered me much more than the identical/fraternal question.

Is it possible that I have fraternal twins based on OPK strips? I o'ed on Friday and then on Saturday the strips were light and then on Sunday they were super dark again, looking like I o'ed twice.

Here, I have no personal knowledge.

How do you go places with infant twins? I have a really nice stroller, but how do you push a cart and a stroller at the same time? Just dont? Have DH come with? Always, for like three years?

Shopping with twinfants isn't easy. Some options: one baby in sling, other in pumpkin seat in cart. Place groceries around seat. Or, twin stroller, place groceries in tiny basket underneath. Or have husband take over the shopping for a while. Once they can sit up in the cart or stroller, it becomes easier.

#3 ·
Twinfants! I've never heard of that
smile.gif
I think a cart is just not an option. I have a two year old as well. I think DH is just going to have to come with me! He's going to hate to hear that, the grocery store is his least favorite place.

#4 ·
Your questions are not ridiculous! I spent a lot of time while pregnant just trying to puzzle out logistics - like how does one pick up two newborns with very little muscle control and how to get them both in the car without leaving one stranded...I think it's totally normal to have lots of questions. I read a few other twin books - Twinspiration (was ok, but more geared towards first-time parents) and Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble (highly recommend this one!). There are also a lot of good blogs out there. We have a Multiples organization that is somewhat active but the facebook group for the organization is great for getting support at 3am or finding other moms to meet with in your area. Also my local LLL has a group for multiples that has been a really awesome source of support for me, especially with my parenting choices.

Anyways...

Most of the time, my babies seem to be oblivious to the other one crying. In fact, I think it happens more often now where one falls or something and is upset and then the other gets upset. When they were very small, they seemed almost entirely unaware/undisturbed by each other's crying. However, they will undoubtedly cry at the same time, and sometimes, you'll probably cry too, and that's ok :)

Yes! Don't be afraid to see a Lactation Consultant (the earlier the better if you're having any difficulties), it was totally worth the money for us. And be prepared that you may need to pump in the early days to get your supply up and/or if one or more babies is having trouble at the breast, but you can always transtition to breastfeeding at the breast later on.

Honestly, in the early weeks, yes. I felt like a milk machine who lived on the couch and did nothing but nurse babies for about the first 6-8 weeks. But, it does get better!

I am feeling a lot more uncomfortable this time around, lots of pubic pain and pressure, and backpain from just carrying so much extra weight in front. Plan on taking it easy by the time you hit your third trimester :)

We put ours together often but usually each in their own blanket. Try it and see! Flexibility is your friend.

I am currently outgrowing all my maternity clothes....so yes. Yoga pants that sit under the belly are still comfortable, but most shirts just don't cover that big ol belly. I have some (cheap) regular clothes in plus sizes and stretchy dresses. Sometimes you can find really long tanks and just wear them under stuff to keep covered.

We haven't tested ours but are pretty sure they are fraternal. I think the IVF question is very rude as well, but usually just answer that ours are natural since I don't generally like picking fights with random strangers at the grocery store.

I have no idea!

In the beginning, we either did smaller shopping trips where I used the basket under the stroller or put both bucket seats in the cart (which takes up most of the space in the cart) or sometimes I took one baby and DH watched the other at home so I could get more done. If DH is available, having him watch the babies while you shop is probably most efficient and sometimes feels like a vacation to just be out of the house by yourself for an hour! As they got older, I've also put one in the cart and worn the other, and once I wore both but it was pretty tricky and they were done before I was. Once they are able to sit up well, some stores have carts with two child seats, and that's where we shop!

#5 ·
I don't think these are ridiculous questions! How could you possibly know? And there's a lot of myths about twins, too. Great idea to go to credible sources.

Sometimes yes and sometimes/mostly no. I think it depends on the quality of the crying and the mood of the non-cryer. Screeching or something like pain induced crying will generally set the non-cryer off.

I think it is feasible regardless! I EBF'ed my girls and they just had their 2nd bday and are still nursing a couple times a day. An EZ2Nurse pillow is a Godsend, whether you nurse or not. In fact, I have one sitting around (they finally got too big for it about 6 mths ago) that I will gladly mail to you for the cost of shipping. We don't smoke and have no pets and it's clean. The print on the pillow cover is kinda garish, but you can order a new cover or make one if you are so inclined.

Tandem nursing cuts down on time spent nursing. I am not sure about the cow feeling, tho there are times I felt like a dog or cat when tandeming. You know the litter thing.

From the looks of my belly you would think it's excruciating, but no. I don't think there's tons of nerve endings in ab skin.

Never tried that, tho I did try wearing them both in my wrap and since it was the middle of summer they were only in a diaper so it's kinda the same thing and they did not like being smooshed together. Maybe different if they were swaddled. Gotta be real careful about doing that since they don't have much control over their bodies and if they can't yelp to let you know they are getting smooshed and can't breathe...well, you get the idea.

It depends on your size before the pg and how much you gain. I found most of my clothes online at JCPenney's, they were fairly cheap and did the trick, even if they weren't exaclty the most stylish.

When people ask for details about gender or DNA I would just tell them it was a suprise (and it was!). No one asked me if I used any fertility drugs cuz I already had 6 kids. Though one time someone made the comment that they supposed no fertility treatments were needed and I just said "Excuse me?" They got the hint and changed the subject!

No idea about this. Um, could be, or maybe just an upswing in O hormomes???

When they get older (say 9 mths or so), if they have those carts that look like a car and have the two seats up front those are awesome! When they were bitty, I didn't go anywhere until they were a month old. And they were probably closer to 2 mths before I attempted a shopping trip. I relied heavily on infant carseats. I had them both in one each, and then I would have one cart for food and the other for babies. OR another arrangment was one in a stroller and the other in a wrap (or whatever babywearing device) OR one in a carseat (set in child seat area of cart) and other one in a wrap (often times when we arrived at the store one would be asleep and the other awake, so the one who was awake would go into the wrap.)

Oh, and you make sure you have a stroller you can push with one hand and then the cart you pull behind you by the front part of the cart. You'll be a train!

#6 ·
I haven't had my twins yet, but I can answer a few of these based on my own experience!

My belly does hurt. A lot. My skin is so tight it aches, and my abs are killing me. I'm 33 weeks tomorrow and measuring at 38/39 weeks. The stretching has been really painful for me, and after the girls have a growth spurt it feels just like my abs are ripping open. The area around my belly button is especially tender. My lower back hurts a lot, along with my hips and pelvis. Sleeping is pretty impossible for me no matter what I try, because it feels like I have a huge, expanding bowling ball in my belly, pulling on all of my muscles and ligaments. I am so so so uncomfortable, but I know not every twin pregnancy is like this. I certainly hope yours is less painful!
smile.gif

I am outgrowing my maternity clothes. I was a size zero when I got pregnant, now I usually wear a 2 or sometimes 4. Many maternity tops are now too small, but shorts and skirts that go under the belly are fine, and I have a couple of dresses from old navy and also one of their tunic tanks that's long enough. I'm not sure what I'm going to wear for the next 4-6 weeks though!

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I will just answer the few I have decent answers for:

They do not seem to make each other cry or disturb each other. They seem to get used to more noise and activity.

It is completely feasible to EBF. We did. Despite ALL of the nurses acting like I shouldn't bother. Like it was noble to nurse with a singleton but with twins you have a built-in excuse because it's just too much trouble. Ours were 36 weeks and had some slow latching. I HATED the way the hospital acted about nursing/supplementation, and wanting to measure how much they were getting during the colostrum stage.

I did not feel like a cow, but I felt pretty physically "trapped" for a while. I tended to get immobilized on the couch for long periods because although mostly they napped at the same times, there was enough alternating and staggering that it was just lots of physical attention needed.

Our twins usually slept beside each other but not so much skin on skin--often we settled them one at a time. We also co-slept and they were more often in our bed--sometimes one on each side and sometimes nursing squished pretty much on top of each other they slept right against each other. For going out, as infants, we could actually carry the twins together in one sling and they even fit side by side in an infant seat. However, for grocery shopping, we absolutely always used two carts. One cart had an infant seat in the bottom and one clipped to the top. The other cart held the groceries. Push one one-handed and pull the other. Pretty tiresome, but when you gotta do it, it does work. Compared to a stroller, the extra cart was much easier to load babes into and much easier to drive while shopping. Later on backpacks can be okay. For as small shopping trip or to make space for a third child in one cart, a soft carrier is another option. When possible, it's better to have dh come along to the store or leave him at home with babes once you can be away from them that long, but other than being tiring and needing to time it well when they are well-fed and can sleep through it it is not too bad. After several months, I tended to do about 50% of my shopping trips alone or with our oldest only, while dh did the dad thing.

Strollers are fine for other outings, just getting out of the house and walking around especially, which seemed to be what I needed most to stay sane.

#8 ·

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Just like any individual baby, each kid will have their own way of responding to things, subject to change without notice. To be honest with you, my twins slept best when the OTHER one was crying. It would put them to sleep with a smile on their face as long as the other one crying lasted.

I did it with absolutely no problems, piece of cake. I also was nursing my toddler for comfort. Neither of my boys even had baby food--they nursed until they were ready for table solids (mashed or chopped of course).

Dunno. I didn't feel like a cow but I was very touched out. Especially during growth spurt times. Other have mentioned actual tandem-at-the-same-time nursing but barring an emergency I refused to do that. I detested how it felt. Plus I wanted the one on one time with them also--whenever I tandem nursed my twins they would stare into EACH OTHER's eyes, and not mine. Sorry boys, I want to see that cute adoring or zoned out stare!

For me it was not my belly that hurt but my pubis synthesis and my hips. I think that's going to depend on how sensitive you are though. I had horrible hip/synethsis pain with my singleton as well, I suspect that my joints (already naturally quite lose) may have just been sensitive really early to all the relaxing hormones. :/

Depends on the kids. Try it, but don't get overly attached to the idea or rip up your AP Club card if it doesn't work for them.

I wore regular maternity clothes. Note: I am a stretchy knits/yoga pants type of person NOT crisp cotton and crap like that. So..no problem wearing normal maternity clothes. I did have to buy shirts one size up than 'normal'--but I was able to reuse pretty much everything I wore with my daughter. Of course, I was pretty fat when I got knocked up both times, so they were already big clothes. That probably helped.

"Wow, that's a really rude question to ask. How did your last rectal exam go? How much money do you make? What's your favorite sexual position? What? If you're asking me to share personal information, I don't get some of yours in return?" (That is for strangers. For friends, I would just say, "Please in the name of all that's holy don't ask twin moms that, especially ones you don't know. It's really annoying, and makes you seem like a tool. Just letting you know as a friend.")

If you ovulated twice then it's possible that you have DZ twins. It's also possible to have MZ twins (if one embryo died/egg wasn't fertilized/ect. and the other one split). Anything is possible. You simply will not know unless you have two different genders (DZ for sure) or a MoMo situation or TTTS (both MZ).

You're overthinking this. (Don't worry, this is natural if you're going through the cycles of twinshock, which will keep happening even after they're born). I didn't go out very often. I used two shopping carts (my boys sister was 17 months old when they were born) or stuffed everything in the puny basket under the triple stroller. You get used to it. Lots of people do it without their partner's help. I utilized my partner's help best by having him be with the kids while I got to escape to go grocery shopping BY MYSELF or just taking my toddler (since she deserved some one on one time with me, IMO). I did not go out with the babies until they were 4ish months old very often unless it was to a twin moms playgroup or MOTC meeting (where there were tons of older twin moms who loved helping and holding the babies). I think this is something you just have to do, trying to think about it in advance will just make you hyperventilate. So just don't worry about that right now.

#9 ·
Your questions are not ridiculous at all. I was completely freaked out at the thought of twins and now, 6 months in, I'm can honestly say that it's pretty amazing! I'm usually a lurker on these boards, but having the girls has really made me want to reach out to other mamas more. I'll try to answer your questions as much as possible.

So far, my girls are pretty unfazed by each other's crying. We've had a few days when they are both miserable at the same time, but for the most part they take turns being fussy!

Absolutely! I was very committed to BFing and found it very manageable. My girls were born at 34 weeks and, much to everyone's surprise, had no issues with latch. I wasn't able to set support from a LC in my area (couldn't find a good one) but I found it very helpful to watch videos online of really young babies latching on.

There have been days, when they were tiny and when they're going through a growth spurt, that I've felt like I was nursing all. the. time. I try to remind myself that there were days that I felt like that with my now 3 year old DS when he was growth spurting.

I only got to 34 weeks, but I'm short and petite, so I felt pretty enormous. I had an itchy belly and some pubic bone pain. It was wild seeing them move around. My girls actually switched positions at around 23 weeks (baby A became baby B!) and that felt kinda gross - like a plumetting down a hill on a terrible rollercoaster ride: the craziest butterflies in your belly feeling ever!

I liked carrying my girls in the stretchy wrap together when they were little (til they were about 10 lbs each, then they seemed squished) and have always had them sleep together (with me too!) They generally like to sleep snuggled up to each other, or at least holding/touching hands or some other body part. Now that they're rolling, they'll sometimes fall asleep where one has her leg swung up and over the other!

I lived in yoga pants and a few extra long shirts I found. You can also sew a panel into your jacket to accomodate your belly (and babies in a carrier when they are out) - my girls were born in Jan and I absolutely needed a winter jacket.

I generally tell people that they're fraternal, because that's my guess! Even though my girls look identical, like you, I'm pretty sure I ovulated twice. For me it was based on EWCM and ovulation pains (pangs, not really pains). I'm most amazed at how much attention we all get when we go out, and am still trying to get comfortable with that.

I'm pretty sure I ovulated twice too!

Still trying to figure this one out! In the beginning, I had the girls in the stretchy wrap, now I have them both in carriers (Ergos) one on my back, one on my front. Grocery shopping is a challenge because I find it hard to lift DS into the shopping cart while I'm carrying both girls. As they get bigger it's getting more manageable - I think because they're getting more used to being in the carriers so are less fussy/more easily soothed in the carriers. I'm still trying to figure out what double stroller I should get (do I need one that'll fit through a standard door?!)

#10 ·

i have been constantly shocked how they do not set each other off, though if i let one stress me out they both can react to that. so calm mom, calm twin was usually the rule.

this extended to sleeping too, the really dont wake each other by crying, but yes by kicking. but low and behold when i started moving them out of our room around 1 year old, and had them in separate rooms thinking it was making it easier and quieter on them as i scampered from one room the other dealing with the transition, they woke at the slightest noise. but on the advice from a sleep coach that was wonderfully gentle and had twins herself, i but htem back side by side in a middle of the night desperation. it was he trick, the really dont wake. i think the not knowing where or what was happening to the other one was what woke them, when they were right there they sensed if it was serious or just fussing and slept thru it. they are 19 months now and im still shocked at what does not wake the other. right now it is teething pain and lots of cuddles

i fed my twins nothing but breastmilk from the day they born till about 9 months and only moved to solids as the main food around 1, i have breast implants latch issues, premies, and all the litle things but it worked out all good in the end. but by EBF are you saying no bottles at all? i pumped till 6 months, they didnt latch till day 11 really and even after that we had our ups and down at getting milk straight from the boob, at 6 months they woke up and nursed perfectly! they are still nursing strong at 19 months, you can see some of my frustrated posts in breastfeeding challenges area. you can do it, dont let anyone tell you other wise. but if you have an issue about bottles and pumps you might want to look at those now and work thru them, two is a whole difernt thing and tools are your friend. i personally wished it had been more of a opional thing for me and that i didnt have to pump, but i would have anyway, it really saved me a lot of times.

Moooo! you are the sacred cow, bow down before your awesome power to feed the masses, embrace this power.

all kidding aside, you will feel immense pride, but yeah also pretty touched out at times, give yourself a break, see above.

i think this will really depend of the babies, and one may like it better than the other. mine likes being swadled and laying right next to eachother, sometimes cheek to cheek but with their bodies going out opisite directions like a little pinwheel. my girl used to like to rest her feet on her brother and that got on his nerves hence the yin yang style.

i gained 32 pounds at 36 weeks and looked amazing, so yeah i fit normal maternity clothes, but i also liked all the slinky stretch ones, not the moo moos. there is also a clothing company that makes maternity stuff just for twins and HOM that are cut even bigger

I'm pretty outgoing and was pretty frank about this not being even slightly appropriate question to ask anyone (they started the rudeness, i finished it) i got funny and embarrassing mostly, like telling them it was from multiple orgasms. or asking them in return if their boobs/nose/haircolor where natural or if their husbands ever had issues with ED.

here is a must watch video you, i like the robot line, i have used it

i am most pissed when doctors ask me this, since it has no bearing on my health (specially when they are not even a doc that is dealing with my reproductive health) i would stop everything and talk to them about me not being there is amuse them and the question was just their curiosity and not appropriate. but yeah the folks on the street, the snark would fly fast.

you cant tell anything from that, heck i know a lady that did do IVF and had two eggs put in, she was preggo with twins and they all assumed it was fraternal, surprise when she ended up with two very identical girls, DNA test and all! so you never know. its nearly impossible to o twice outside of 12 or 24 hours, the chemical feedback just does not let it. folk that use o triggering drugs are sometimes the exception since that HCG shot is powerful and can over ride the signal that the first egg gives the others to "not bother" OPK just say you had a surge, they dont say if that surge produced anything.

i can hang a lot of shopping from my stroller, i can put the babes in a shopping cart and shop around them, but yeah dh has taken over a lot of the groceries and when we both go for the big trips, each takes a babe in a cart now and we race around, but in the early days i would push the stroller and he would push the cart

these were good questions! your going to be a great MOM

#11 ·
Thanks so much guys! Adorkable, I am NOT planning to avoid bottles. I've pumped with my last two and let DH do some feedings. I have a pretty good breast pump, but Ill probably get a hospital one if I don't carry to term. It seems like without a bottle, Id never get a break. Plus, DH really likes to do it.

My nerves have calmed SO much thanks to this thread. I was starting to do a little bit of the freaking out.

Littlestbirds/Tigerchild- I simply cannot put infant seats in a shopping cart. When DD was 5 months old, we hit a pothole in the parking lot and the entire cart flipped over. Hosptial stay, cat scans, blah. No more infants in shopping carts for this girly. But, I did get a super easy to navigate stroller. I cant believe I didnt think of pulling a cart, not pushing it! Of course! I used to be a personal chef, and I always had to push and pull a cart! Its not that hard. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses.

I have to overthink some stuff, because I do live in a place that requires a 30 minute drive to go anywhere, so usually shopping trips are only once every 2 weeks, and we get everything we will need. DH will be home until late March, but after that spring is his busiest season of the year, and we wont see much of him. I have some amazing friends WAH or SAH that I can probably get to help me watch them while I go on a quick trip. I've never let anyone except family watch my kid before 1 year- that is something that im going to have to learn to get used to!

#12 ·
Yep, generally when you have multiples you're going to learn how to accept help. You can do it the hard way (deny, dig in heels, wait until you get steamrollered by reality) or you can do it the easy way and suck it up and accept help ( with boundaries of course). I did it the hard way. Wouldn't recommend it. Not particularly enjoyable IMO (I detest feeling weak or dependent) but you do what you gotta.

#13 ·
Can you fit into regular maternity clothes?

As anyone who has ever been pregnant with twins will tell you.. standard sized maternity clothes will not fit you the last few months! Do yourself a favor, save the money, and buy maternity clothes from the beginning that are made for twin moms. Otherwise, you will be SQUEEZING your belly into clothes that are XXL, that just don't fit over the belly. My two favorite brands are For Multiples Maternity (both the pants and the shirts work), or Nest Egg Maternity (only tried the pants they made).

#14 ·
I fit into regular maternity clothes, but I only bought shirts made of stretchy fabrics. The one with ruched sides fit the nicest. I went two sizes up in pant size, but I bought pants two sizes up when I was three months pregnant. Both pairs were loose in the beginning and still fit me at the end - a bit snug, but the shirts covered that. The stretchy yoga pants were great. I guess I'm trying to say "don't stress over it now, buy a size larger and deal with clothes later if you need to."

Crying together - the first two months, they ignored the other crying. One could scream bloody murder, the other one would sleep soundly. Now they are learning and starting to react to the other one crying, but they don't do it too often. The worst that can happen is when their colicky time coincides - for a while, it was 8 pm. They both were miserable, and so were everyone else. Separate colic time is much easier.

#15 ·
I am NOT a twin mama but pregnant with triplets. I hope you do not mind that I weigh in with some of the questions that I think I can answer :)

I'm at 30 weeks pregnant with triplets and hella big (I can share photos if you wish). I really worried about this when I was in my first trimester. So far, I have not experienced exterior belly pain and I've been lucky in that it also has not itched out of the ordinary. I am to that "shiny" stage now so I suspect that my opinion may change. I will say that my belly button feels strange because it has never gotten close to being forced out. In previous pregnancies I could invert it manually so I am wondering if this time the sensation means it is going to pop out!

There are other pains that I have experienced of a more delicate nature, PM me and I can provide details.

Also, a good support system can really help. I use the Best Cradle:

http://itsyoubabe.com/bestcradle.html

I am not sure why they advertise their Prenatal Cradle to be the better choice as the bottom loop does not open making it hard to accomodate size and hard to get into. I know several mamas who have used these for singletons. I really am living in mine with the trips.

My babies are not born yet, but I was thinking I probably would not do this. Simply because if one wakes needs you, then you have to wake the other to get the first.

Yes. For my first two pregnancies I was plus sized and tall yet got away with only a few maternity shirts and using maternity jeans. I was concerned this time around and I have found that I needed to use maternity shirts very early in my second trimester. Now, I live in maxi dresses from Target and Old Navy. Some are maternity, some are not. I really suggest the dress route.

This one really irks me. I try to remember that people are genuinely curious and mean well. However, it is frustrating. Our triplets were a complete surprise. I try to steer the question asker to the term spontaneous. I still do not have a complete answer to this questions.

My husband was asked, "What is the survivability of triplets?" I would have throttled the person who dare as ME that. That question would be totally out of line for a singleton. I am not sure why multiple pregnancies make people feel that it is open season on crappy, invasive questions.

ETA: The identical/fraternal twin question drives me bonkers. Most likely because the same person keeps asking it when we have said that in our case there is NO WAY OF KNOWING until they are born. Most people accept our answer readily and the question usually does not bother me. But one person, ONE person, keeps asking and I keep saying we don't know! LOL!!!

I am inclined to say no.

I do not know the answer to this yet. But I think like EBF...if there is a will there is a way. There are excellent twin strollers and you could always babywear one and stroller push the other.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Twinfants! I've never heard of that
smile.gif
I think a cart is just not an option. I have a two year old as well. I think DH is just going to have to come with me! He's going to hate to hear that, the grocery store is his least favorite place.
I do it! DD1 (3) sits in the cart, which I pull behind me. I push the twins in my double stroller. We are quite the spectacle, but when you need groceries, what else are you going to do? :)

#18 ·
Not silly questions at all..
Everything is in my experience (b/b twins, and 4 yo at their birth)

Not always. They get used to each other and now one will sleep through (22 months) while the other one will cry but at the beginning it wasn't predictable.
Yes, I did it.. am still doing it.
Maybe, but I felt that way with my single daughter too at the beginning.

I never felt that.

Not sure.. Try it. I never thought about doing that. I did have them in the same crib.

I wore the same stuff till my delivery but my stuff was huge and I went a bit early (35w6d). But if I went longer, I might have needed something more at the end. But it would have been for a very short time.

It didn't bother me that much so I answered honestly.
I have no idea what OPK strips are.

How do you go places with infant twins? I have a really nice stroller, but how do you push a cart and a stroller at the same time? Just dont? Have DH come with?
I wore one in a moby, I put the other one on the cart in their bucket on the cart and my daughter would walk or sit in the main part of the bucket. But we couldn't buy a ton. I went shopping more often I think.
Always, for like three years?
I still wear one in the ergo and one in the cart... but they are at a busy age (taking things off shelves) so I just go after they go to bed. . and honestly its nice to have some nice alone time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.