Yet another stroller question - jogger vs. multiposition inline - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Like everyone else, we're looking for a super awesome twin stroller that won't break the bank. What do I mean by "super awesome"? Okay, you know the drill. It wheels easily on all sorts of terrain, fits through doors, can be easily folded up and unfolded, can handle newborns/infants, will last us through age 4, does not require any kind of second stroller purchase, and costs less than our mortgage payment. Does not exist. I know. One nonnegotiable for sure is nonplastic wheels. We live in the real 'burby 'burbs (bleh) so this is a stroller that I will need to fold, stick in the car, and unfold constantly. We don't have a garage, so this stroller is going to be stored either in my (roomy) station wagon trunk or the main room in our townhouse. First world problem, I know.

Our price point is max ~$400. We could be compelled to go up if we could add needed parts/accessories over time.

After reading a zillion reviews I was pretty set on the Baby Trend Expedition Double (http://www.babytrend.com/joggers_double/DJ96045.html) - it's the one with three wheels/front swivel wheel. It's fairly lightweight for a jogging double, is 31.5" wide, and the seats lie flat so I could put newborns in them with a support. Some reviewers said it fits through doors no problem, others said not so much (maybe 60/40% respectively). Very reasonably priced and many reviewers noted they liked it as much or better than the BOB. Okay, good. Then I started thinking about the reality of removing two newborns from their car seats every.single.time I need to get out of the house. And hence, maybe getting one of those annoying clip and go frames secondhand to use in the beginning. Which, as you can tell, I don't want to do.

Then I spotted the 2012 Britax b-Ready (which has real wheels as opposed to the 2011) - http://www.britaxusa.com/strollers/2012-b-ready/image-gallery. It is sort of a lower-priced Baby Jogger City Select. I love that this thing can take two infant buckets in a reasonable configuration, and that they don't have to be Britax brand. What I don't love is the toddler configuration. I have seen a zillion people using these inline two-seaters (usually with a toddler and a baby) in Major Metropolis Near Me and it just seems like the kid in the lower seat rides so close to the grime on the sidewalk. And is smushed down there. Meanwhile the top seat is too high for a kid to climb into independently. But the b-Ready was positively reviewed by Twiniversity specifically for twin families, and having read lots of positive reviews of it...I am being seduced by this setup. If you have toddler twins, do you think this configuration would work for them? Would they be okay being inline? (They can sort of face each other but not really.) Would there be constant fighting over the top/bottom seat? Do YOU prefer them to be next to one another?

Everyone else - what do you think??? How did you make your stroller desicion.

Thank you! I need opinions! 

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#2 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM

Ok, I've been doing double stroller research for over a year (since my son and DD were only 22 months apart, I thought I would need one.). So, here are my opinions, in order smile.gif BUT, I dont have twins- yet. So, hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

Don't buy the baby trend. Its heavy, becomes hard to fold down after long use, and is not as easy to navigate as other strollers. I was set on it at first too- its an excellent price. We have a babytrend jogger for DD that I am gladly getting rid of. Its cumbersome, it doesnt fold down well, its heavy, the wheel wobbles if you go to fast. I just dont suggest it if what you are looking for is ease of use.

I like side by sides, because they are typically lighter than in lines. Im not planning on going through many narrow doors anyway, so thats not a big problem for me.

This is my favorite (I just bought it- and its discontinued at babies r us, so you might be able to score their floor model like I did ($300).
http://www.cityministrollers.com/City-Mini-Double-Stroller-Black-2011-p/cm2blk11.htm
I like the amount of sun protection it has, it accommodates infants and up to 100 lbs of weight .I think it is super, super easy to navigate. I was with a friend who was pushing one and I was pushing my babytrend. When she had me push hers to try it out, i fell in love. It is only 30 inches wide. Even a standard home door frame is 36''- so there should be no problems getting it in and out of stores. The storage on it is adequate, and you can buy a separate tray for cupholders and snacks. It weighs in at only 26 lbs and folds up super compact compared to the babytrend which ways 31 lbs and does not fold up well. We have space issues, so I needed it to fold small.

Anyway, my second choice is the Bob Double, followed by the Britax B-Agile, and the MacLaren Twin triumph. Personally, I couldnt go with the Britax that you listed because I will sometimes have my two year old in it and she is always going to want the top seat. So, that leads me to believe that if I had 2 two year olds (WHEN I have two two year olds smile.gif ) they will constantly fight over it.

Good luck!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM

If you can find a stroller that has a movable front wheel(s), but also locks in place for jogging, you'd get the best of both worlds. I have one like that called a tyke teck 360, but I havent' seen them available for awhile.   As a bonus, it folds up pretty small for a double stroller.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM

so i know what you say about cost, but i want to put out there that a great stroller is something that will make being a MOM better every day of your life for the next few years, the freedom and convenance should not be undervalued.

and my stroller that i rave about all the time (so much so that i won't again unless you have a question, you can see my other posts on the subject all over) 

is the City Select and the basic set up works out the $3.02 bucks a week for the 4 years. so even with the various add ons one rate years, i would do it again in a heart beat and we often comment on the reality that the cost over the life of our twins is pretty amazingly good for what it gives us.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Adaline's Mama - are you kidding? That was super helpful! I can't find that Baby Trend jogger to try out in person anywhere, so I am really glad to have that input. I was sort of getting a "too good to be true" vibe about it. Also, according to the doctorate I have recently completed about twin strollers (seems you have the same degree!), the consensus seems to be the Baby Trend customer service is abysmal. And definitely, that is what my gut was telling me about the top vs. bottom seats on the Britax b-Ready - I mean, I do realize that they probably can and will bicker about every conceivable thing, but that seems like it has the potential to cause unneccessary headaches. I have heard a ton of raves about the double City Mini, but I just can't get over the plastic wheels. They look to be the same type that DS's (single) Peg Perego Aria has, and those really suck. We have friends who loved their City Mini but they did say the wheels were worn down pretty badly after 3 years of use. I know the the next model up (City Mini GT double, I think?) solves that problem, but the price point jumps enough that I'm then considering other options as well. Plus the City Mini only takes 1 car seat so I'd still have to use that clip n go frame in the beginning, which if I don't find it used adds $100 to the stroller purchase price, essentially. I am starting to get comfortable with a higher price point (seems like for what we need it really is a worthwhile investment), but it's sort of weird for me because we live on a fairly tight budget. The stroller is actually going to be a gift from family, but I still feel guilty asking for something so pricey. (I think we'll offer to contribute.) So it does seem like the City Mini with the rubber wheels is at the top of my side-by-side list...

Red Pajama, I've just started seeing those around recently! I'll have to check them out. I'm glad to hear a good experience with them.

Adorkable, I was hoping you'd weigh in! And I am extra glad you did because you inspired me to check out the City Select again and...wow, it really seems incredible. I mean, I knew that already, but seeing that 1) it completely solves the one thing that really bugs me about the b-Ready: the two seats are "equal," not one top and one bottom, and 2) it's in the range of what we'll likely end up spending anyway, has kind of put me over the edge. And it really does help to think of it in terms of a $3/week investment. Also, its car seat adaptor works with the one infant car seat that we already own, not the case for any other stroller I've found thus far. I've been trying to find some deals without any luck yet. I did spot a 2011 base model for $399, but it's got white (discontinued) upholstery. Yikes. And let me tell you, the people on my local Craigslist are completely nuts. They want more than the retail price for a brand new stroller, for their used one! Not sure I'd feel comfortable shelling out hundreds for a used stroller anyway though, this is an item that seems worth it to buy new. DH is all for it so I may be the newest member of the City Select fan club. Do your twins mind not sitting next to one another? What is your favorite toddler configuration (or do you change it out all the time?) Any recs on where to buy it? 

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#6 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 AM

I have a Phil and Teds stroller that I love! I have the Dash model but all models seem great. They are expensive to buy new, but i found mine on craigslist for around $300 and she had only used it about 10 times. My girls are 17 months apart and it has worked great for us. Here is a link to their site http://philandteds.com/us

Stay at home wife and mommy to four beautiful girls Ashlyn (3.5), Sydney (2), and identical twins Cambrie and Acacia (6 months)   twins.gif

#7 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Because of how long you use this and the warranty, this is something I would buy new, I'm happy buying all their clothes and most of there toys used, but this did not seem like enough savings and you give up some security of knowing what it's been thru.

I had the bassinets when they were young and really liked them, though I ca see why folks like to just move the Carseats around. If you want to pm me maybe you can borrow my bassinets?

I got a double snap and go for airports or super quick solo trips. They are horrible but also just what you need. Look into your local twins club for a used one. Heck look into your local twin club for tons of things, most have twice yearly used sales and often a year round classified. I find the going rate in my area for snap and in perfect shape is 40bucks, many going free once they are scuffed up.

Once the moved out of bassinets my twin have almost always pointed towards each other in the city select. It works very nice and I can pull it up along side a chair or table and deal with both pretty close to face on. It is just stacked enough to let me lay them fully back and if I do it right they now both use the snack bar. If we are walking somewhere really fun to look at I'll face them both forward and the city select makes it easy for both to see in that forward way, unlike the britax.

I found mine cheep on amazon since they were changing over a few details with the 2011 model, I would keep an eye out there and wait up till the end to buy so that maybe a deal pops up. I lust after the purple that was not out when I bought. And frankly for as long as I will end up looking at this thing I would happily pay the price of a dinner to get the color I want.

Welcome to the fan club (snickers playfully)

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 20 Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM

By the the city select does have a toddler ride on board, the don't advertise the extras much but they do have them.

#9 of 20 Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Just chiming in with another vote for the City Select.  (Long time lurker; I never post but I'm strangely compelled to share the City Select love...)

The thought of spending that much cash on a stroller made me sick.  But, I just couldn't find another solution that was a)significantly cheaper AND b)I still loved.  So, we just did it.  It was a ridiculous splurge, but I will tell you that I have not regretted the purchase once in the few short months we've had it.  My twins are 7 months old, and we got it when they were ~5 months.  We started with the snap and go, but I got it used for $30, so it was a negligible expense.  

Things I love:

-Pushes like a DREAM.  With DD1, I had a Peg Perego P3, which isn't a cheap stroller by any stretch of the imagination, but compared to the City Select, the P3 feels cheap.  Listen-I can easily push the stroller with one hand, while pulling DD1 and a huge cart of groceries behind me.  Incredible.

-Love the different configurations.  Right now, I mainly put them facing each other, because then they amuse each other.  Bonus.  

-Very decent storage space.  A little tough to get to when the seats are facing each other, but still plenty of room.

-Super, super, super easy to fold/unfold.  It can't be folded with the second seat attached, but it is such a simple install, it doesn't even matter.  My only complaint is that the "natural" way it unfolds puts the handle facing down, and I don't want to be scuffing it up.  My DH says he doesn't notice it, but he sort of unfolds it in midair, if that makes sense.  It is heavy, so I'm not able to do that.  

-Good recline.  Even with seats facing in, both can be reclined almost all the way.  

So, all in all, worth every penny.  :)

#10 of 20 Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM

We are not getting a double stroller but we used a baby jogger in Disney and it was wonderful.  It made non-stroller people LOVE a stroller.  It was so fabulous that it was the first place I looked for a triplet stroller.

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#11 of 20 Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM

13 pumpkins

can i ask i totally honest question? how the heck to you se yourself doing anything without at least a double stroller?  i hear folks say this, but frankly simple can not see how you could ever leave the house for a second. i am really honestly asking

#12 of 20 Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My opinion is that unless you're actually going to jog, don't get a jogging stroller. They're just so bulky and often more expensive. But that's obviously just my opinion wink1.gif

My current plan is to get a jogger for jogging but that stroller will stay in the garage except for jogging. For errands my plan is to stick with a single umbrella stroller that lays flat for newborns and sleeping. Much easier to pack into the car and maneuver around stores. I'll wear one twin and push the other.

When I have all three kiddos without my husband, then I'll make my toddler walk. On the very rare occasion where we have to do lots of walking without the hubby I plan to use the double jogger for toddler and one twin and wear the other twin. Of course, reality may differ from my plans wink1.gif
#13 of 20 Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

13 pumpkins

can i ask i totally honest question? how the heck to you se yourself doing anything without at least a double stroller?  i hear folks say this, but frankly simple can not see how you could ever leave the house for a second. i am really honestly asking

LOL!  Oh, we're absolutely getting a stroller.  We are getting an ABC Buggy (should arrive in a few more weeks).  We are not anti-stroller in that I refuse to use one but more that our stroller that we currently have has gotten very little mileage as a stroller through two infanthoods.  When we found out we were having triplets, I started stroller hunting.  It was heavily suggested that I get a double stroller to compliment the single but I want an independent unit.   I just did not know if my opinion was as valuable towards the purchase of a double stroller since technically I have only rented a double stroller for a week, barely used my single stroller, and will own a triple stroller.  But for what it was worth, boy did we love that stroller that week.  I was kinda sorry to see it go as it served us so well.  Even more sorry that they stopped making their triplet stroller :lol:

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#14 of 20 Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 PM

ok that makes soooo much more sense, thank for setting me straight. yeah i saw a ABC stroller with a young set of triplets at a festival this somer and it looks amazing, hardly any stroller can make me jelous and that one did.  what et up are you getting?

#15 of 20 Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

ok that makes soooo much more sense, thank for setting me straight. yeah i saw a ABC stroller with a young set of triplets at a festival this somer and it looks amazing, hardly any stroller can make me jelous and that one did.  what et up are you getting?

We are getting the triple buggy with the Everest:

http://adventurebuggycompany.com/triplebuggy.htm

The neat thing is that you can add a fourth seat and we did purchase the bar to allow the use of a ride on or two.  Admittedly, I cannot fathom the idea of us pushing all 5 kids on this getup at once but I also never fathomed triplets ROTFLMAO.gif !!!  I guess be prepared.  For anyone considering this stroller contact the owner of the company.  They have such excellent customer service and the price is much fairer.

It is strange thinking that we were excited about the price in the end because it is the most $ baby item we have ever bought.  However, the price of triplet strollers is horrendous.  Add in that most of them do not fit in one's car or barely fit with after pulling the thing apart.  We are thrilled that we can find a way to move our girls about and still fit in our family vehicle.  Tightly, but fit. 

#16 of 20 Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone for all the info and continued encouragement! adorkable, even more points for our top contender - I didn't even think of the advantage of just rolling it up to a cafe table/park bench and feeding them in it, that is brilliant. I'll PM you but thank you so much for the offer, it is so kind! Now you've got me contemplating a bassinet. (My mom is always saying she doesn't understand why US strollers rarely have them...)  rblakley, thanks for the rec - as far as I can tell though all the P&T's are specifically designed for an infant + toddler rather than two infants/two toddlers. I didn't see one that could accept 2 car seats. Did I miss it? Glad you have a ride you love! Nov02 I am really glad you came out of lurkerdom - it really does help to know that there are more moms like me for whom this really was an unusual purchase, that was well worth it. marsupial mom, I'm with ya. We went to our local baby mega box to see what floor models they had and wow, are those joggers big. We're not runners so we wouldn't be using it that way. We tried out the double City Mini and while it wheels really nicely (and our almost-5yo could sit in it comfortably), we both agreed we like the tandem style better. They didn't have the City Select so we tried the Chicco (?) Cortina (?) which we wouldn't get (loooong wheel base, seats don't move) and just liked the experience of long/narrow over short/wide. I finally found a local store that has a floor model of the City Select but I have to drive out there to see it...maybe next week. 13pumpkins, that is a great tip about calling the company - I never would have thought of it. That looks like an amazing ride for your situation. (Triplets!!)

#17 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM

For those who have the City Select Double Stroller....do you find that it is still useful for toddlers? Or if your children are not toddlers yet, do you imagine it will be useful for toddlers? Will they still have room? Is it top heavy? Do you have to put the bottom child in first and take them out last?

When the children are facing each other, is there still the ability to use the basket under neath? It seems from the pictures that the bottom child's feet are in the basket when facing the handlebars.

We are wanting a stroller we can use until the twins are about 3ish, and maybe even a little older for all day festival type events.

We are hoping to just buy one stroller to do us for the whole 3 years.

Is this a feasible wish/hope?

Can the city select, or any stroller do this?

Also, is this stroller good in snow? On grass (at parks)? In sand?

Mostly we go on grass...and we have to deal with snow a few times throughout the winter. Sometimes quite wet snow.

Thanks.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#18 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post

For those who have the City Select Double Stroller....do you find that it is still useful for toddlers? Or if your children are not toddlers yet, do you imagine it will be useful for toddlers? Will they still have room?

my twins are now 19 months, and around 30in tall and fit wonderfully, the footrest is still adjusted to the shorter position and they are just starting to bed their legs slightly. i feel like they will fit for a good long while. though maybe not withth snack tray in the low normal position.

Quote:

Is it top heavy? Do you have to put the bottom child in first and take them out last?

it is VERY stable, even the top seat is well forward of the large rear wheels so no worries about who comes out first, we do it both way all the time.  i actually wish the top seat were i bit higher on the bar, I'm thinking of moving the center attachment point (used for when you are in single stroller mode, which we frankly never are) to a slightly higher position, this would give a bit more room between the snack tray of the lower kid and the foot rest of the upper kids when they are both facing in, our favorite position.

Quote:

When the children are facing each other, is there still the ability to use the basket under neath? It seems from the pictures that the bottom child's feet are in the basket when facing the handlebars.

i set up this all the time and use the based a ton, yes the feet go in a bit, specially if rotated all the way downward. but the re isa nice spot behind the footwell for rarely used things like a spare coat or a large picnic blanket, which is what is usually in ours.  and then i can but a full size loaded backpack in the rest of it and then plenty of other things.

Quote:

We are wanting a stroller we can use until the twins are about 3ish, and maybe even a little older for all day festival type events.

We are hoping to just buy one stroller to do us for the whole 3 years.

Is this a feasible wish/hope?

Can the city select, or any stroller do this?

i think this is totally feasible and I'm sure i will still be using mine in a year as the ground the corner towards 3 with no problem, maybe not hopping curbs as fast as i do now.

Quote:

Also, is this stroller good in snow? On grass (at parks)? In sand?

Mostly we go on grass...and we have to deal with snow a few times throughout the winter. Sometimes quite wet snow.

I've been on tons of grass, mild gravel, tons of dirt trails and wooded trains with roots and puddles, all handled with grace and ease.

been in only a little snow and had no problem sept for the one time it kept hitting up on the cross bars with some crusty built up drifts.

i do wish baby jogger would sell a big tire kit, it would be so easy to do since both sets of wheels come off so well and could be bigger and still not bump anything (at least when open)

#19 of 20 Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Thank you so much for your reply Adorkable!

I am pretty sure that this is the stroller we are going to go and buy. Just those last questions knawing at me. Now I feel much better purchasing this stroller.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#20 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozal View Post

13pumpkins, that is a great tip about calling the company - I never would have thought of it. That looks like an amazing ride for your situation. (Triplets!!)

I am pretty excited for it to arrive (this week!!).  They do have double stroller options too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page