Do yours like alone play time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy, My twins are 151/2 months and dd can just keep busy and play by herself, but if dd is napping and ds is up alone he seems whiny till dd gets up. I was wondering how everyone elses twins like to play. They squabble over toys once in awhile , but so far they aren't to bad about it. They have started really laughing at one another which really cracks momma up.:LOL
#2 of 8 Old 04-18-2004, 03:38 PM

It varies a lot. When my two were 15 months old, they were happy to see each other and had little games they played (chase under the dining room table) but definitely still into parallel play, which I understand lasts til age 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. Now they ask for each other when one is napping for example, but don't seem particularly distrubed by the absence. The only thing that is really sweet is sleeping - they're in their own room and definitely like babbling to each other for 5 minutes to wind down and go to sleep. I love listening to them - so happy to be "chatting" about their day!

About the toy squabbling, I have noticed by two are much less likely to squabble over toys than non-twins. Of course they do have their moments - and we've had our share of hair tugging or nipping - but really they pretty much work it out themselves 90% of the time. They even bring things to each other. Like if I get dd a sippy cup in the kitchen, she asks for one for her brother, and then walks out to the family room to give it to him!... or if dd is crying, ds will go in search of her favorite dolly and run and give it to her. That kind of awareness, of what the other might want or need, is fairly precocious and I do think is related to their twinness.
#3 of 8 Old 04-18-2004, 04:52 PM

Ella and Isabel are also 15.5 months. When one is sleeping, the other one really seems to enjoy the time alone with me and the time alone playing. However, when we hear the napping twin stirring, the awake twin runs to the bedroom door. I guess they must be missing each other

When both are awake, they play with each other a little (take a bucket or a sorting toy and take turns placing stuff inside). They also love to run around with each other. There is definitely a dominant twin when it comes to toys. If Isabel is playing with something and Ella wants it, she will take it. It's hard to know how to deal with stuff like that, but most of the time I'd say they really get along well and are very sweet together

Alisa, mama to Ella and Isabel
#4 of 8 Old 04-19-2004, 09:17 PM

all three of mine are like peanutbutter,bread,andjelly LOL

sometimes they will play alone but generally they NEEEEED to be together and they look for each other if they are not there. I have tried to take one out alone but only the one that's out alone enjoys it - the others are misarable that they didn't get to go.

they even share a room and usually a bed LOL - at least two in the bed generally.

for those who don't know I have twins and one 15 months younger and they literally think they are triplets. they are 4, 4, and 3 years old

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#5 of 8 Old 04-19-2004, 10:33 PM

Our twins are 13 mos old tomorrow, and they have a lot of sharing time at the moment. We sometimes sit and pass a ball in a circle, handing off to the next person...S-h-a-r-i-n-g

However, if a squabble erupts about a toy while they play independently, they attempt to bite the grabby hand, or squawk loudly.
It's cute, but we try not to laugh, and promptly redirect to another toy.
We have sat back and watched as one baby just lets it go, and finds something new...it's amazing to us.

Lately we have separated them for short times (as they generally nap together now), Dad goes for a walk with one in a sling, and I stay and play with the other on our playfield...
They really seem to enjoy this, and play differently than if there is a brother to watch. Probably the same as napping separation.

I love this age... infact, DH just ycalled from the other room that he was getting teary eyed while babies were handing him toy "gifts"...such a mush.

Maya
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2004, 01:04 AM

This isn't really relevant to the thread in a helpful way...BUT I just had to share how mindblowing it was yesterday to hold my twins up to the other and have them just stare into each others' faces and make sounds at each other. I felt floored by the power of the universe...it was amazing. I feel so blessed to have these little guys. They're 12 weeks old now. Where is the time going?

I feel like I have more "one on one" time with my daughter Zoya. She's more social than her twin brother and she's also my first little girl so I'm pretty ga ga goo goo over her...made up a whole song with several verses today about the prettiest princess in the whole world. But Psalm is my precious little man who melts my heart in his own way. He sleeps next to me at night, so I get lots of cuddle time with him in the late hours. Plus, when he smiles...oh! He looks like Santa Claus, he's so jolly when he grins. His eyes squint up and he's so big and squishy...it's just adorable.

Thanks for sharing.
#7 of 8 Old 04-20-2004, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I find that ds seems a bit more aggressive with the toys than dd. He is more apt to be the one to take a toy away from the other. It always cracks me up that they seem to want what the other has no matter what it is.

I try to let them settle their little squabbles on their own, except when one is quietly playing and the other one just grabs a toy from the one that was quietly playing. I will intervene and give the toy back and show the toy grabber to the toy box to find something else to play with.:LOL
#8 of 8 Old 04-21-2004, 11:13 AM

Mindyleigh-

This isn't really relevant to the thread in a helpful way...BUT I just had to share how mindblowing it was yesterday to hold my twins up to the other and have them just stare into each others' faces and make sounds at each other. I felt floored by the power of the universe...it was amazing

I know how you feel. one day my boys (then 9 months) sat in front of each other and sat there laughing at each other hysterically for about ten mintues. I started to cry it was so cute!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page