MFM or regular OB for twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I checked out Dr. Luke's book on multiples from the library and just got to the part where she gets pretty insistent that all multiple pregnancies should be seen by an MFM - even "just twins."

I hadn't given any thought to an MFM. Of course, I'm only 10.5 weeks so we don't know enough yet to know about any complications, but I like my OB and would prefer to stay with her. She assured me that even though I'm 35 and have had two previous c/s, that I'm not considered "high-risk" at this point which was reassuring at the time, but now Dr. Luke has me wondering if that's a red flag that she isn't a good match for a twin pregnancy?

I'm curious about how other twin mamas have handled this?

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#2 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 AM

I had a regular OB. I don't know how your previous sections might complicate things...but ruptures are very rare. I think I read up on VBAC's of twins after previous c section being ok.

I'd be inclined to think the OB is fine. Do you have a MFM near you?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM

I would say it's fine, but keep an open mind and be prepared that you may need to see one later in your pregnancy, depending on how things go.

For both my twin pregnancies, I started out with a midwife, and was transferred to a high risk unit with a MFM.  The transfer was because of a short cervix which increased concerns about preterm labour, although the first time I carried my babies to 38w2d and this time I'm 35w5d with no signs of impending labour yet!  It is so important to have a care provider that you feel comfortable with, I would stick with your OB since you already have a relationship with them and like them, unless you have reason to do otherwise.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#4 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM

I was seen by regular OBs at the "low risk clinic" for my twin pregnancy. Since it was at a teaching hospital, I actually saw residents and medical students who reported to attendings. I only saw an attending if I had a question outside of the ordinary. I did have some high risk interventions, NSTs 2x week after 34 weeks, high level ultrasounds read by high risk OBs1x month, and was considered high risk for AMA (36) but stayed with the regular OBs throughout. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#5 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 PM

I personally think it depends more on the ob or mfm themselves and the way they handle things. I had a midwife and transferred to her back up obgyn when my twins came too early to deliver away from a NICU. That particular obgyn had a ton a twin experience and even delivered my twins (baby a breech and baby b with cord prolapse) naturally without batting an eye.

#6 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM

I'm seeing my regular OB, but have been introduced to the MFM practice that she refers to and they will be doing my anatomy scan. If I "risk out" of my OB practice then I will be transferred into their care. Discordant growth would be the only real thing that would risk me out of my OB's office, other than preterm delivery. (I'd need to go to the city where there is a Children's hospital if I delivery before 35 weeks).

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the feedback! This makes me feel so much better! I plan to ask her some more questions about her experience with delivering twins, but it is reassuring to know that I don't *have* to move to an MFM practice.

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#8 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM

I saw my regular OB and added the MFM docs. They did their own ultrasounds, meausred for growth, monitored for problems, and were the docs to oversee my gestational diabetes. So it's not an either-or, but both.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page