Twin tandem nursing question. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have the brestfriend nursing pillow but the twins are too long to do the double football hold and have been for a while. I'm having to nurse them separately which takes up too much time in my day. Does anyone have any pictures/videos that show other methods of tandem feeding? I've seen a few but I can't figure out from the drawings how in the world you can keep the babies latched on or keep them from kicking each other. Both have fairly shallow latches and I have larger breasts so I usually have to keep a hand on the breast to keep them on. But then they start kicking each other or squirming so badly that I know I must be doing something wrong!! Any practical advice because my days are feeling shorter and shorter now that I'm jumping back and forth between them constantly. Thanks so much!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#2 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM

Even as mine outgrew the nursing pillow in length, I found they just adjusted to it either by kind of folding their legs straight up against the back of the couch, or behind me if they were lying more on their sides.  I did find that at various stages sometimes it was easier to nurse them together and sometimes it was easier to nurse them separately.  Sorry, not much help I guess!

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#3 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Right now they push as hard as they can against the couch/chair with their legs and since they already have a shallow latch I'm fighting to keep them on. Plus now they've kind of discovered each other and will stare/smile/laugh at each other instead of eating. Hopefully it's just a stage! Do you know any good examples on youtube or somewhere else with video perhaps? I've looked but didn't find much.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#4 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

I think my twins continued in football hold for as long as I tandemed them. There was a point, after a year, although I don't remember when anymore, when I didn't nurse them together anymore.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My kids were older than yours when the got too long, or maybe the just like to curl up longer.  But when we outgrew the pillow, sad day that it was, we mostly tandem nursed lying down.  One babe on each side, feet generally all in the same direction.  Might be awkward at first, but they grow into it.

Some of my best memories from our early years were laying down nursing at the end of the day, my husband reading something fun aloud to us.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to go pillow-free.  It's a tough step, but there are lots of creative options.  Hope you find one that works for you.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Mine tandem all the time, even now at almost 18mo.  If one sees the other nursing, she's not far behind.  We usually have one cradle and one football.  The football often lays her head on top of cradle baby, and there is one baby that tolerates being laid on better than the other, for sure.  Sometimes cradle will scoot out enough to lay on the outside to avoid being laid on.  Now that they are toddlers, though, we also have the oh-so-fun 'let's climb down while we're nursing' game, so I might have one standing and one in football or cradle.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#7 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Oh, and it's more modified football, baby's body not directly next to my body, but stretched out down the couch more.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#8 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee View Post

Right now they push as hard as they can against the couch/chair with their legs and since they already have a shallow latch I'm fighting to keep them on. Plus now they've kind of discovered each other and will stare/smile/laugh at each other instead of eating. Hopefully it's just a stage! Do you know any good examples on youtube or somewhere else with video perhaps? I've looked but didn't find much.

Ah, yes, I remember the pushing against the couch and propelling forward stage!!  Not fun :(  I did go through several phases where it really just was easier to do one at a time, unless they were sleepy like the before nap or before bed nursing.  As they got older I also did more with one in a cradle and the other football, especially if I started the session with one baby and then needed to add a second before the first was finished.

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#9 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post
We usually have one cradle and one football.  The football often lays her head on top of cradle baby, and there is one baby that tolerates being laid on better than the other, for sure.  

This is us too! My girl with the deeper latch also happens to be more tolerant of having her sister lying on her, so I'll usually start with her cradled and then add her sister footballed. Have you ever tried rolling up a receiving blanket and putting it under your breast to keep it supported/propped up? I discovered that if I'm nursing one of my girls in the carrier and pull my breast up and over my shirt and bra, there's enough material underneath to keep it propped up and I can nurse hands free. I think the same thing would work if you used a receiving blanket or towel rolled up. I might try to put a rolled up receiving blanket under my right breast, then have the cradled baby nurse from that side, then use my left hand/arm to football the second baby and use my right hand to support the left breast. 

#10 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 PM

I think at that point we ditched the pillow and started using regular pillows to prop as needed.  I had one, kind of in football but more sitting, since we didn't have the twin pillow and it gave the length of their bodies more room.  Then the other was in cradle, kind of holding the one in football close. 

I do remember just playing around and trial and error.  Don't be afraid to ditch the twin pillow.  There are plenty of other ways.  I think we used our twin pillow for no more than 5 months. 

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#11 of 11 Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I will try the combo football/cradle again and see if one doesn't mind being laid on as much. Both just really like to kick so that's where I had trouble before trying different things. They also don't like their legs dangling which makes it hard unless they're really hungry to even nurse one at a time without the bulky twin pillow or boppy. Out in public is really rough since they won't just lay against me and stay on for more than a few minutes. I don't know how people manage getting out frequently and without bringing a ton of pillows with them!

You'd think I'd be a pro at this nursing thing by now since my elder dd nursed but it's a different animal with two infants. I might try the blanket under the breast trick too and see if that helps with the hands free issue I'm having. I just see these drawings of people doing double cradle hold and I can't for the life of me figure out how you'd manuever that or how it would even be comfortable!! Any other tips are welcome!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page