Need help sorting through birth options - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I am currently almost 15 weeks pregnant with mono-di twins and I could use some advice from you guys!

First some background:

My son was an unmedicated hospital birth. Although unmedicated, it was not a pleasant experience. When I was pregnant with my daughter I knew I wanted to birth at home and so I found an amazing midwife and my daughter was born at home in the water. The experience was life changing. When I found out I was pregnant this time I knew I wanted another homebirth with my midwife. Long story short, we discovered I had twins and she agreed to try for a homebirth but I would need 3 midwives at the birth and she wants me to be followed by a perinatologist as well, so it would be co-managed care. As long as everything in the pregnancy goes well, I make it to 37 weeks, and baby A is head down I would be a candidate for homebirth.

BUT.......

If baby A is breach there is only one doctor in my area who will attempt a vaginal delivery and he will not take me as a co-managed patient for liability reasons and my midwife isn't comfortable not telling him because she has a professional relationship with him that she doesn't wish to risk. I met with the perinatologist and she agreed to co-managed care but will not vaginally deliver twin A breach. Also, unless both babies are head down I would have to deliver in an OR which freaks me out. She was very encouraging of natural birth and respects that I want a no/low intervention vaginal birth.

I want to do what is best for me and the babes but I just can't seem to figure out which road to take. Does anyone have any insight or opinions for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM

Well, I've never given birth to twins, but Im 17 weeks pregnant with di-di twins. If I were in your situation, I'd do co-managed care with the peri who was friendly about natural childbirth. Here's the thing- it may not matter. You may have a transverse baby a, you may have an early delivery and have to go to the hospital even if baby a is head down. I, myself, have a super awesome OB, and then a high risk MFM team that I have to make compromises if Im going to deliver with them. In a perfect situation, you'd go to 37 weeks, baby a would be head down, and there would be no other problems.

Welcome to MDC! I wanted to invite you to join us over here as you go through this journey!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1356734/pregnant-with-twins-join-the-club

And also, if you are 15 weeks, that means you're due in Feb, do there is this too:

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/17431/february-2013-ddc

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Hi there! I birthed my twins naturally. Was planning on a water birth with my midwife at her birthing center but they came too early so I ended up birthing them at a hospital in the OR. It was not what I had planned but thankfully I only spent an hour at the hospital before they were born.

Your midwife has put you in a tricky situation. Are you set on this midwife or would you be open to another one who would be ok with you not telling the ob you are under someone else's care? Finding out you are having twins is stressful enough without having to go through all of this extra work but it happens all the time to us twin moms. It's so frustrating. ( I had to find a new mw at 20 weeks)

I'm happy to talk through this with you if you want. Feel free to email me kristenly83 at gmail dot com. I have been working on a directory of midwives and ob's that deliver twins naturally so I may be able to help you some there.

Whatever you choose wishing you the best of luck!

User Tag List