Mothering Forum banner

Anyone know where to get low cost out of pocket ultrasound?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mamaofsoontobe8 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. i stumbled upon you all doing a google search for surprise twins, lol.

I am 27 weeks pregnant. I have seen a midwife 2x, I'm meauring large & have alot of weird symptoms with this pregnancy. I do have 6 children & this is my 8th pregnancy. I'm 33 with no fertility treatments or twins in the family so even though I'm pretty sure its only one, I can't get the nagging out of my head. I'd rather know & be prepared for twins or not since I'm planning a homebirth.

Any advise is welcome & I'd really like to know if there is a place where I can get an elective U/S

Our insurance is screwed up right now but It should be straightened out soon, however i'd like to get somewhere sooner then later :)

I'm near Albany NY

Thanks everyone :)

#2 ·
Usually anti-choice clinics will give free ultrasounds if you dont mind going in there. They would also likely be sympathetic to a mom who needs help who already has a bunch of kids......

I'd want to know for sure- how far ahead are you measuring?

Just to let you know, I havent had any weird symptoms and I am carrying twins. Other than measuring large, Id have never known.

#4 ·
I was measuring 29 weeks at 25+ weeks. I'm not sure if that was accurate though as I thought I was in a weird position for belly measuring. My legs were dangling on the midwife's table. I thought that might make things off?

I'll look up the place in Saratoga, Thanks :)

I'm thinking there is just no way to be having twins, we didn't have any fertility treatments & no twins anywhere in the family. I'm wondering if I can be having so many symptoms this time because I started out overweight & a little out of shape.

Also when I lay on my back I can only feel one bump in my belly (since I'm heavier I can't feel real great). As much as I'd love to be blessed with twins, I don't think it would happen.

Thanks for the responses :)

#5 ·
there are two little places in town that do 'gender reveal' us for about $40. I know there were a bunch in San Diego too that cost about the same. They don't do any diagnostic stuff, just look at the baby and tell you the gender if you want.

#6 ·
I would be VERY leery about those low-cost ultrasound places. I would have concerns as to the quality of the machines and the training of the staff.

Is your midwife worried for some reason? Personally, I would wait until the insurance is straightened out and have it done, if medically needed, at a hospital or clinic.

#7 ·
What is a low cost ultrasound going to hurt- if it's just to say, "yep, there are two babies in here."? Im sure you would go to a doctor afterwards, but IMO, it is better to know ahead of time if you are pregnant with twins so that you can plan two :)

OP, I have no twins in my family and haven't had fertility treatments and am not obese or over 30. Very low chances of twins, but there they are :)

At 18 weeks, I'm measuring closer to 24-25. From what I understand it's pretty typical to measure 6-8 weeks ahead with twins.

#8 ·
The suggestion to call a pro life or Catholic family services is a good one (although don't call them 'anti choice' like the pp did while you're there, that would be super rude!). They will either be able to get you an ultrasound or will be able to tell you where to get one, they might even have a connection to get you a lower price. Just be upfront and say this is my 9th or whatever number pregnancy, I don't have insurance, I'm seeing a midwife, and I can't shake the feeling that I might be having twins.

#9 ·
YAY I called today & my insurance got straightened out, finally!!! So my midwife is setting me up with an U/S!!! I'll keep you all updated!

Today I was laying in bed after my bath & decided to do some heartbeat searching. I have a German made doppler & found a heartbeat in the 140's on the left side just above my belly button, I moved around more since I'm wondering about twins & I found another heartbeat in the 140's as well on my right side near my pelvis. Someone said its possible to pick up an echo or heart tones through the umbilical cord so I don't know what to think but I'm sure happy to be getting an U/S soon!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.