NICU tour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I am hoping to go to full term with these babies and not need to go to the nicu at all. But, the hospital I will go to if everything is great and past 36 weeks doesnt have an official nicu and I have delivered there twice so I dont need a tour. Should I take a tour of the hospital that I may possibly give birth at but hopefully not?  If so, is it appropriate to ask to see the nicu? It seems like it would be a really hard thing for me to do, but it also seems like it would be really hard if I had never seen it and then for some reason my babies had to go there. 

Is this even something that is allowed? 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 AM

As far as I know, most hospitals offer tours of only the birthing and postpartum rooms. The NICU might be a hard place to tour, but it would be worth contacting someone at the hospital to see what your options are. They might have a digital slideshow of pictures they could share with you. Try contacting the manager of perinatal education.

Good luck!

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

So, I called and they did schedule a tour for me. They continue doing tours even during flu season, but no children can be with me. So, Ill update after the tour in a couple of weeks. 

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM

I think it's a really good idea. I will keep everything crossed you don't need it, but on the small chance you do, I think it will be much less scary and overwhelming if you at least know what it look like etc.

Also, it will give you a chance to Find out what you might need to put in a care plan or consent form. smile.gif

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wait, what is a care plan/consent form? Am I supposed to be making some kind of post-birth plan for them in case they go to the NICU? Did you have one?

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update, I wanted to let anyone who was reading this know that we did wind up having to spend time in the NICU. A spent 7 days, and B 10. Im really glad we did the tour and I highly recommend anyone who thinks that they might go early to go check out their NICU. It's a lot less jarring if you've been in there before. 

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page