Support issues with toddler twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My girls are 16 months old and I'm having trouble finding support. The nearest twins group is 45 minutes away on Friday nights and it's just too far to go, and at bed time. I go to LLL meetings or other non-multiples support groups and I end up feeling like another species. And my girls aren't really even walking full time yet. It's just going to get harder. I'm just feeling tired and lonely and a little overwhelmed.

#2 of 11 Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM

grouphug.gif

I'm not a twin mom yet, but I've found some pretty awesome twin mom's here. Maybe you should start a thread specifically for twin mom's with toddlers so that you can all talk about what's going up with your kiddos. (I would so love to lurk on that :) ) 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 11 Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM

i hear yeah, so many folks talk about the logistics of newborn twins, but for me it was when they both got to walking that life was finally turned upside down. and yeah i felt even further apart from my mom of singlets.  heck before they started walking i wanted two more!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 11 Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I still want another, as stupid as that sounds. But I am so so so overwhelmed. And the walking is only a periodic hobby at this point. I'm feeling kind of crushed, and they've been sick, so the constant wakeups at night have been even more frequent. (I have one who wakes once when not sick and lots when sick, and one who wakes about every two hours. They're awesome. Both just terrific, but I feel like I've been hit by a truck. And like I'm just going to feel like a failure forever.

#5 of 11 Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM

from about 13-18 months i was feeling very much like a failure on even pretty good days,

now they hug each other when something goes wrong,

and they are starting to be able to tell me what they need and what hurts.

and when im having a hard day ,my girl will pat ME on the pack and show how much she cares for me.

i can see it getting so much better.

heck a few nights ago i almost started to entertain the thought of another one too.

so i think the feeling comes in waves, and "this too shall pass" is the motto to stick with.

the verge of walking was really hard, it came with bad sleep and clingy babies in my house. and my girl walked at 13m and my boy not till 16m so it was a pretty drawn out process for us.  once they both get it down, it opens up another level of play and adventure and independence that is refreshing.  hang in there

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 11 Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM

*hugs* I know how you feel! I am lucky to have a lll group in my area for multiples and it makes such a difference for me to go and be around other mamas who are really like me, even if its only once a month. I have connected with moms through there. But most moms groups just kind of gape in awe as I tandem nurse or otherwise wrangle two toddlers. They just can't relate. There is a group on fb that's very active "naturally parenting twins" I know online support isn't the same as real life people though greensad.gif

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#7 of 11 Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 AM

I felt really misunderstood and alone at that point, too--when my twins were about 15-16 months.  It's like you've made it through the "hard first year", but it's STILL hard.  And nobody really "gets" it.  I felt SO alone.

Don't have much to say, except be gentle on yourself and know that you're not alone.  Twin toddlers is just as hard as twin infants (IMO)--just in different ways, and so it's okay to feel frustrated, sad, discouraged, etc.  You're doing a great job--try to remember that!!!  And as my very loving OB said, "Humans were not supposed to have 2 babies at once."  For some reason, that stuck with me in validating how hard it can be to have multiple infants/toddlers...

Hugs!

Mama to my sweet sea-blue-eyed girl (2/06) and my hilarious mz dd twins (1/09) who keep me running.
#8 of 11 Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Both are walking now, and it is indeed a new world, both of independence (and playing while I check email sometimes) and of work (they run in different directions, and we're going through another biting phase).

And I love that I can check in here for support.

#9 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM

I know this is 2 weeks old...but I just had to tell you all how comforting I found this thread to be.

It's nice to know that other mamas find the toddler stage can be just as challenging as the newborn stage. I just told my DH the other day that I just really had no idea that having my twins would be this hard ... this much ... for this long.

And I completely agree that singleton moms/friends just don't fully understand. We are our own breed! :-)

Sending smiles to each of you!
#10 of 11 Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM

I remember taking toddler twins and three year old to the library.  I think the other parents thought I was crazy.  I was constantly running after one or the other and checking all exits, taking non-board books away and redirecting the twins during circle time.  Yeah, toddler age was not fun.  Now that they're almost 2.5 it's so much better.  In fact just the other day I was at the library, sitting down no less!, and think about how I would never have been able to relax even 6 months ago.  Don't get me wrong they're still a lot of work but they're entertained for longer chunks of time now and don't try to run out of every available door.  It gets better.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#11 of 11 Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM

I haven't posted in quite some time, but reading this thread reminds me of why I loved Mothering.com so much.  It is nice to hear the voices of folks that understand just how challenging it is to parent toddler twins.

My little guys are 21 months old and it seems as if we used to really go everywhere before they started walking.  They are becoming so much more independent, but it means that I am chasing them everywhere now.

I have found it difficult to find support too, and when I go out now a days, I am also sure that we stick out as I run around after my little guys all day.  The bright side is that my 6 year old finds it humorous, most of the time.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page