Cloth Diapers and Twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pleeeease help me figure this out:

Ok, so I am pretty dedicated to CDing our twins (after they are 8 lbs or above). The nearest store that sells natural disposables is almost an hour away- so it's not a great option. We are expecting to be super busy, so Im trying to make it as easy as possible. I had a great stash to begin with, and I've collected a little more here and there throughout this pregnancy. DD and DS were in diapers at the same time so I already had enough for two. Although, DD was peeing huge amounts and DS could use the same cover all day long because he didnt pee heavy. DD is now potty trained, and as most of you know, DS is no longer with us. 

We use BG 3.0 pocket diapers, only we dont use them as pockets. We pretty much just use them like covers. Basically, I've had a friend sew microfleece onto one side of the insert so that I can lay it directly in the diaper and dont have to stuff the pocket because Im lazy like that. Plus, that way I can use the cover more than once if it's just for pee. So, here is what I have:

22 BG 3.0 "covers" that are pretty new, totally leak proof

4 BG Flip covers that are brand new

7 Babyland covers, brand new, but I've never used so I have no idea how they'll hold up

9 BG 3.0 "covers" that are passed down from DD and the pul is failing :(

So, that totals 42 covers, but 16 of them are iffy. How many do you think I need? Do I need more?

65 inserts with microfleece sewn onto one side so that they can go right next to baby (PLENTY) 

15 cloth wipes ( I know Ill need more of these. I have a crapload of blankets to cut up during my third trimester) 

1 garbage pail wetbag

2 big wet bags

1 medium wet bag

1 small wet bag 

?: Do I need another garbage pail wetbag, or not?

Has anyone used that PUL spray? I was thinking of re-spraying the 9 dipes that were handed down from DD. 

Oh, and Im getting a better clothesline, because the dryer is what killed DD's diapers. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 33 Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Forum crashing, that sounds like plenty of covers.  We use our FB the same way, but we also do EC so our boys don't wear covers all the time. We never use more than 3 per day per boy.

If you have made it this long without a second large wetbag, you will be fine.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#3 of 33 Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

With one baby, 6 covers is about all I need, so I figure I'll double that... if it's twins we've got. ;)

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#4 of 33 Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestday View Post

With one baby, 6 covers is about all I need, so I figure I'll double that... if it's twins we've got. ;)

Yeah, but with one baby, there is more time to wash. At least, that's how I have it pictured. 

Seraf- I've never used a large wetbag. I have just used a small container that we dumped in the washer, but the washer is now all the way in the basement and Ill have twice the amount of diapers, so my small container wont work. 

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 33 Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM

It sounds pretty reasonable to me, (I agree on the wipes. Too many wipes is a really wonderful thing) but pay attention to how things are going. Sometimes a small expenditure  can make your life a whole lot easier (if you find you're constantly using one of your sets of covers and avoiding others). But I would make that decision when you figure out what's working for these particular babies. (we inherited someone's stash and then used that to decide where to branch out)

Make sure you have wet bags in your standard changing places (we have a whole diaper setup upstairs and one downstairs, each with a little bucket) It's useful to have enough diapers that you can always have some in both places. (and it makes it easier for others to do diaper changes)

I will say that Amazon delivers disposables (including the natural ones that we like best). We use disposables when we travel.

#6 of 33 Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Yeah, but with one baby, there is more time to wash. At least, that's how I have it pictured. 

Seraf- I've never used a large wetbag. I have just used a small container that we dumped in the washer, but the washer is now all the way in the basement and Ill have twice the amount of diapers, so my small container wont work. 

You're right about being busier with two babies.

We use 2 5 gallon buckets for our diaper laundry. One in the bedroom, one in the bathroom.  We change the boys both places. I wash every other day because my machine can hold 10 gallons of diaper laundry.  I have enough diapers to go 3-4 days, while traveling, but I still have to do 2 loads when I get home.

#7 of 33 Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM

We have way less--12 gDiapers, 12 inserts,  12 pre-folds (we use to double up at night), 15 Cloth wipes and one wet pail. I do have help though. I do wish I had a sprayer because while our inserts and liners are cleaned well they look pretty skanky. 

#8 of 33 Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM

I think you def have plenty of diapers and plenty of storage for them too! I need to buy a sprayer but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have 40 pockets I use for 3 kids, a toddler and the 2 infants. They go through them all in about 2 days or so. We have a basket and a bucket that we store the dirty ones in but we was them so frequently that the smell doesn't build up. I wish DH would agree to use cloth wipes because that's what we go through constantly! I do use disposable at night for the toddler because her bladder is just too big and was soaking out every night even with double stuffing so that saves a couple cloth. I had worried it would be so hard to continue cloth when the twins came but it's not. It's a relief to always have a diaper handy and not worry about running to the store. Plus it's saving us a TON of money! Good luck!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#9 of 33 Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM

In the beginning, we used 12 per day per baby. (of the prefolds...fewer covers...3-4 per baby? 6-8 would have been better on the covers) Remember that if you wash every second day there will be several hours before the diapers are dry.

#10 of 33 Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Another wet bag would be nice because you will have 2-6 new dirty diapers by the time your load is done. I hve 9m old twins and I've gotten by on 30 pockets from the beginning. I just committed to washing every other day when they were new and now I wash every third day. So you have plenty to wash only twice a week if you want even.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#11 of 33 Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM

I used motherease with my twins. I had 6 covers in each size, which ended up being plenty.

I used a 5 gallon bucket as a diaper pail.  We washed diapers every day to every other day at first, and later that spaced out a bit.

I had a wet bag for travel, but more often than not I ended up using a store shopping bag. I can't remember how many wipes I had. They mostly all got eaten by the house, because I have very few anymore.

Good luck. People thought we were crazy, but it really wasn't that bad.  We certainly had fewer blow outs when using cloth.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#12 of 33 Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Sounds like you have plenty, to me.  I wash whenever I have a full load, which with twins is at least every other day, so needed fewer than I thought I would.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#13 of 33 Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 AM

The girls are rustling and my pump session is nearing an end so I'll quickly post our numbers....

We have been doing cloth exclusively since arriving home.  Two of our three are VERY allergic to diapers and we just prefer it.  Moreover, for any one who thinks you're crazy you can also point out it is economic and you really do not have time to run out for diapers.  We've been CDing as tiny as a 4.5 lb baby!

For the triplets, we have:

8 dozen preemie prefolds.  We have so many because we use them as burp cloths as well.  At first we trifolded them into covers and now we use them as doublers.

6 dozen of the size diaper we are using (we are finally in newborns).  Basically, one rotation is in use, one in the wash.

15 covers

We have to wash every day (every 1.5 days sometimes) as the loads would be unmanagable if we waited longer.

I also did have 48 goodmama newborn fitteds but I am selling those in lieu of more prefolds.  I just need quick and easy to fold (as in, not fold, just stack and done).

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#14 of 33 Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM

hey, can tag in?  I'm looking at that rental site someone posted in the multiple pregnancy thread.

When did your twins hit the 12 pound mark?  The site offers this for about $215 total for the first 4 months, if my math is right:

Quote:

You will receive 48 preemie diapers which will fit your little one up to 6-7lbs, and then a set of 48 newborn diapers which will fit up until 12 lbs.

so my question is, will I be renting this packet for 3 months or 4 months? is 4 months stretching it?

#15 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM

We have tons of prefolds. Probably about 40-50 of them.

We have 14 Motherease. But they are too big for the tiny babies and will come in handy for when they are bigger.

I am buying 15 more motherase and 24 motherease small sandy diapers off craigslist this weekend.

We seem to have enough covers. But may need some large ones later on. Will have to see how well they held up from DD.

I find cloth just as easy as disposable. But a lot less hassle of running to the store. Plus WAY cheaper. Not only does disposible cost a lot...I cannot run into a store without walking out with 5 things I really didnt need.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#16 of 33 Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Can I jump in with my question, as well? I am planning on buying 14 GroVia diapers (shells, I guess?) and 24 soaker pads (so 7 and 12 per twin). 

I hope to do laundry every other day - so I figured that if I have 6 soaker pads per kid, per day, that should be enough. With GroVia shells, you don't have to change the shell every time, half the time you can just change the, so I figured that 3.5 per kid per day will do it. Am I completely off? Should I get more? All you mamas that have gone through twin cloth diapering - please let me know! 

P.S. I decided to go disposable until they are done with their tar-poop (since I'll probably get some disposables at showers, anyway).

Alina, married to David, due on 6/5/2013 with two baby girls partners.gif

#17 of 33 Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophigirl View Post

Can I jump in with my question, as well? I am planning on buying 14 GroVia diapers (shells, I guess?) and 24 soaker pads (so 7 and 12 per twin). 

I hope to do laundry every other day - so I figured that if I have 6 soaker pads per kid, per day, that should be enough. With GroVia shells, you don't have to change the shell every time, half the time you can just change the, so I figured that 3.5 per kid per day will do it. Am I completely off? Should I get more? All you mamas that have gone through twin cloth diapering - please let me know! 

P.S. I decided to go disposable until they are done with their tar-poop (since I'll probably get some disposables at showers, anyway).

I think you have enough shells, but 24 inserts is what is usually recommended for singletons.  I don't think you probably need quite twice that amt for twins, but I'd guess at least 40 inserts total.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#18 of 33 Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Early on we were going through 12 diapers per baby per day. That was averaged over the course of the week. (covers depended...when they were little we needed a new cover every 2-3 diaper changes) Some days were more like 14 per baby. And you need time to dry the soakers (if you wait to start laundry until the baby is in the last soaker, you won't be ready by the time you need the next one).

I would say 48  soakers. Or a combination of soakers and infant prefolds (which fold up nicely into the grovia diapers).

I also question whether the grovias will fit newborn twins. But I have no info on that. We didn't get ours until later. If not, I might get some prefolds and covers (much cheaper) in small sizes.

I love our grovias now, though.

#19 of 33 Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Brambleberry and rinap - thank you! 40 to 48 is definitely more than I thought I needed, so I am very glad I asked. 

And rinap - I had no clue that infant prefolds can fit into grovia diapers! Now there's a hole new, and cheap, possibility that I didn't know was available. Especially if I'll be using prefolds for the time when they are newborn. Thanks so much! 

#20 of 33 Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophigirl View Post

And rinap - I had no clue that infant prefolds can fit into grovia diapers! Now there's a hole new, and cheap, possibility that I didn't know was available. Especially if I'll be using prefolds for the time when they are newborn. Thanks so much! 

This is what we are doing for our triplets.  They are just getting big enough to start using the gro via inserts but we have been using the covers for a few months now over the prefolds.  Are you looking for prefolds (I have lots LOL).

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#21 of 33 Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM

You fold the prefolds in thirds and place them just like a snap-in pad. Or you snappy the prefold and put on the cover as a cover.

#22 of 33 Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 PM

+1 to what rinap says.  After the first few weeks in thirsties xs, this is what we switched to doing for the babies.  It is very effective as we know we are going to grovia full time soon.

#23 of 33 Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Do you guys have thoughts on pockets (FuzziBunz, most likely) versus Gro-Via? We used pockets with DD, but I'm intrigued by the Grovias. Looking for a system that's relatively economical (though doesn't need to be bargain basement cheap), that our daycare providers might be open to, and that will be easiest for us (two full-time WOHPs). Setting up the Grovias seems easier than stuffing all those pockets....

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#24 of 33 Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Setting up the Grovias seems easier than stuffing all those pockets....

Exactly.

We barely had time to stuff all the pockets for daycare for ONE baby.  It is not going to happen for three.

Additionally,  the price point for one cover and one insert together is comprable to a pocket and insert.  It seems wasteful to have SO many covers as we will end up having but our state dictates (grumble) that the entire diaper has to be changed upon soiling.  Covers, even for wet diapers cannot be reused.  For childcare without these rules, I would certainly go the gro-via route or fitteds.  For our situation it is a no brainer.  I am using the covers over prefolds currently and will be able to transition over inserts.  This also helps with "diaper bag packing" as I just fill a tupperware box in the car with a few extra covers, inserts, emergency disposible inserts, and wipes.  Lugging around a diaper bag for the triplets is too weighty but this system works.

#25 of 33 Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

SO, a couple of days ago I received a package in the mail of 200 newborn swaddlers that I'd ordered as part of an amazon order just since I had free shipping. I had this shocking moment of diaper changes when I realized that each of the smaller packages (it was 10 packs of 20 diapers) would about a day. So $45.00 worth of diapers a week. I am so glad we are doing cloth. 

SIDS happens. 

#26 of 33 Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Wow. I think I figured up that I would have to work 8 extra hours a month if we bought diapers, but I calculated cheaper diapers!

#27 of 33 Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM

Yup, in the hospital we went through a swaddlers bag a day it seemed.

At home I wash diapers every day and we have 5-6 dozen!  By the time one batch is cleaned, the other load is half soiled already!

#28 of 33 Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM

13pumkins and renap - you guys are the treasure trove of information! 

I'll be stacking up on those prefolds, then. 

#29 of 33 Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Sorry if this has been covered already- how many fitteds/prefolds and how many covers for newborn twins, and then how many one-size pockets/grovias for the twins once they're out of the nb stuff? I'm working on my stash now...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#30 of 33 Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Sorry if this has been covered already- how many fitteds/prefolds and how many covers for newborn twins, and then how many one-size pockets/grovias for the twins once they're out of the nb stuff? I'm working on my stash now...

For a singleton, I had 6-8 covers (cannot remember now) and for triplets I had 15.

For a singleton, I used 3 dozen prefolds and 6 dozen for triplets.  I usually have an extra dozen "in play" simply because I use them as burp cloths, accident pads for changing table, etc.

I understand my numbers do not exactly make sense being that if I were to triple what I had for one baby for my three, it would mean I ought have 9 dozen prefolds.  However, while my family size and stash size can grow, my washing machine cannot (well actually, we did get a bigger one when we moved but reasonably, it seems that 4.3-4.6 cu ft is the current max)!  With a singleton, I could wash diapers every other day but with triplets, I have to wash the diapers everyday.  Sometimes it feels like I am pulling diapers out from one load just to start the next load.

For the next stage, I am not sure.  My number have always been screwy because of daycare.  In a few weeks, I will be able to give you a better idea because we will have started daycare with triplets.  I would say if you are going the grovia route, just start replacing your stash bit by bit when the time is getting right for it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page