having twins in the spring, with a co-sleeping 4 year old...how do we all sleep?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we LOVE co-sleeping with our 3.5 year old son.  he will turn 4 right before our twins are due, so i'm just starting to think about what this could look like.  we really want to keep him in our bed.  my friends with twins say i can NOT sleep in another room with the babies because i will need my dh to help with nighttime feedings.  i really want to all be together, but i want ds to get good sleep at night...any creative sleeping suggestions out there??

mom to 2 pooches, one wild and awesome little boy kid.gif who joined our family through the miracle of adoption, and expecting 2 miracle babies in spring 2013 after 7 years of ttc!belly.gif

#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 AM

We didn't co-sleep, but I love what my friend with four kids did -- two king size bed mattresses right on the floor pushed up next to each other, matching sheets and blankets so it looked like one huge bed. Everyone has more than enough room. 

My four-year-old isn't disturbed by our triplet babies cries, though she's in the bedroom next-door with the door open. Your son might be woken for a few nights, but he'll probably get used to it and learn to sleep right through it. 

Most likely, you'll just have to wait and see what works when the time comes. All the ideas I had about how we'd do nights (and practically everything else) were wrong once we met the little boogers. We were pleasantly surprised how much easier things were than we made them out to be while I was pregnant. 

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is just an idea, not direct experience, but a setup that could work would be a king size bed with a crib side-cared up to one side and a bed rail on the other side.  Preschooler sleeps next to dad, between him and the bed rail - start doing this asap so it's not a drastic change when babies are born.  Babies can spend most of the night in the crib if your son doesn't stay put on the other side of dad very well, but if he's safely kept away from the babies you would have the flexibility to have one or more baby between you and dad, or one on either side of you.  

We did the side-car thing with DD's crib, and had her between us as a newborn (until she started kicking us and wiggling down under the covers).  The side-car worked out really well as a toddler since she started really wanting to have her own personal space at night - around 2 yrs old, and she was still close enough for comfort and convenience.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#4 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaya View Post

We didn't co-sleep, but I love what my friend with four kids did -- two king size bed mattresses right on the floor pushed up next to each other, matching sheets and blankets so it looked like one huge bed. Everyone has more than enough room. 

My four-year-old isn't disturbed by our triplet babies cries, though she's in the bedroom next-door with the door open. Your son might be woken for a few nights, but he'll probably get used to it and learn to sleep right through it. 

Most likely, you'll just have to wait and see what works when the time comes. All the ideas I had about how we'd do nights (and practically everything else) were wrong once we met the little boogers. We were pleasantly surprised how much easier things were than we made them out to be while I was pregnant. 

Oh, thank god. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 11:23 AM

We moved 5 y.o. daughter's "big girl" mattress into our room as an extension of our bed and talked about her "big girl" room she could have when she was ready (didn't take long for her). I sleep with my twins on either side of me while propped on my back and nurse both of them through the night with no need for help as I don't pump. I take care of input hubs..output. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page