cosleeper recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone use the Arm's Reach cosleeper for their twins? regular or mini? 
If you used something else, what was it?

Thanks in advance!

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 14 Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 PM

We have the regular arms reach co-sleeper from when our DD was an infant and loved it for her. 

We are going to have twins, but they are not born yet so we haven't tried it yet. 

We do not plan on using it as a co-sleeper, because it wouldn't be useful for very long. We plan on side-carring the crib to our bed and using that for the first few months. 

We do plan on using the co-sleeper, with all sides up, as a napping cot in the living room for the twins for the first few months. 

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 14 Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 AM

Here's a helpful article on safe ways to side-car.: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html

Our crib has a toddler rail that I used between the crib and bed to stabilize the crib sides since they needed something to hold them together better than the wire mattress support. It also meant I could keep using my body pillow without worrying about it going in the crib.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#4 of 14 Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

I found out about side-carring yesterday and I think that is going to be the route we go. Thank you for sharing the article, Brambleberry!

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 14 Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Most books recommend having separate cribs starting at 3 months, because they'll kick each other and wake each other up.  I would really rather not, but we have a back-up crib given to us by a friend just in case.  Has anyone gotten by with just one bed for their twins up through toddlerhood?  It seems like it would be so much more convenient and would ease their transition out of our bed when the time comes.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#6 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM

I cosleep with the twins. At first they were in the middle of the king size bed but not touching each other. That didn't work for more than a month because I was sick of crawling from one side to the other to nurse each of them. At that point my DH moved to the guest bed again with our toddler and I have one on either side of me to sleep. That's working so far even though they roll toward me and I have to constantly reposition them all night. But it's better than getting out of bed to get them from a crib! I put a rolled up towel on either side of them to keep them from moving too much and from going off the bed. I have no idea what to expect when they're crawling all over me in a few months! I'd love suggestions from anyone who's dealt with that already.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#7 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 PM

i co sleep the twins in a Arms reach original for 6 months and then switched over to a side car crib. i liked the arms reach, it was a clean simple solution, wheret he crib was a bit sloppyier to make sure everything was safe.   i can see how i could have spent some time making a crib work from day one, but it would have taken some more work.

they slept in the same bed till they were nearly a year old.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 AM

We bed shared from day one (now almost two y.o.) with a cal king mattress on the floor pushed tightly in the corner with a child on either side of me and I nurse simultaneously while getting rest. 

#9 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM

we used the arms reach co sleeper, but the one made of wood (i think it was called a sleigh bed style) because it had legs that could be raised to the height of our enormous cal king bed...i put both babies in that for the first few months (i think around 3), tightly swaddled, and i would pick them up as they woke to feed and side lie nurse them, then switch babies when the other woke up...did the same for diaper changes, etc.

we have had a crib side carred to our bed for years for our older children, and when our older toddler moved into her own room with her brother, we moved a twin into that crib and one sleeps between us. i think we are ready to just put a second crib on the other side of the bed, now that i've nightweaned so hubs and i can sleep next to one another again...also because bed sleeping twin is becoming very fitful...

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

#10 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Baby isn't here yet, but we will sidecarring a crib to our bed.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#11 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 AM

nak

we started with arms reach regular and loved it until they grew too long to lay perpendicular.  Now we have crib sidecarred and its musical beds with one or other next to me in my bed and other in side car all night long (by their choice), lol.  it works though--def did not want them apart--I LOVE watching them snuggle together though sometimes they wake each other but not more than they wake our 3yo by crying. 

Me and DH, parents to:

DD1 (06/09), Twin DD2 and DS1 (born 3/12- 6 weeks early due to IUGR)

#12 of 14 Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 AM

We use the regular for triplets.

I also would get two Fisher Price Rock n' Play.  Multiples LOVE them and sometimes you just cannot put them together.

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#13 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM

This probably is a silly question, but do those of you who use a co-sleeper also tandem-nurse at night? How does it work with a co-sleeper? 

Alina, married to David, due on 6/5/2013 with two baby girls partners.gif

#14 of 14 Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We used the regular Arms Reach.  Just this week we transitioned to a crib next to our bed (the twins are 11 weeks; 8 weeks adjusted).  They were beginning to kick one another and keep each other awake.  Our crib isn't side-carred, just right next to our bed.  So far one is doing fine in there, the other is very fussy.  But she is smaller and needs more soothing.  We often end up putting her in bed with us.

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page