Mothering Forum banner

Exercising While Pregnant With Twins

973 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  EonJourney 
#1 ·
From those of you who have BTDT or are further along than me (23 weeks), what was your exercise routine like when pregnant with twins?

Up until 9 weeks, I was playing tennis a couple of times a week, plus walking, swimming, weights. I stopped playing tennis on doctor's recommendation at that point and also it was getting uncomfortable.

Since about 16 weeks I have not really been able to walk, as it makes me dizzy and feel like I'm going to throw up and my heart races long after it's done.

So now I swim once/week, do prenatal yoga once/week, and light weights/pilates-type stuff 1-2x/week. Is this enough? I have always been a pretty fit person and it feels weird to me to aim for only 3-4x/week, but I still have 1-2 nasty morning sickness days per week ("morning" occurring from about 10am until bedtime, ie anytime I would exercise). My doctor says whatever is comfortable, but I guess I'd like some reassurance that I'm not tapering off too much.

I have NO signs of PTL, no BH contractions, etc so I'm not too worried about that stuff. I guess I'm just trying to listen to my body but I don't want to be completely out of shape for labor and when the babies are here!

See less See more
#2 ·
With my first twins, I felt horrible throughout the first 2 trimesters. I think the last time I rode my bike, I was around 7 or 8 weeks. Then, it was vomitting and laying around on the couch. My doc, who rides for the same team my husband does, warned me at 17 weeks that I was getting to the clumsy stage and I should only ride a stationary bike...couldn't even do that. Beyond the 2nd trimester, I was too big to do anything but walk and go to work, then I developed pre-eclampsia and was on bedrest.

With this set of twins, I was jogging and cycling much longer. I think I was last on my bike, mostly commuting, until 24 weeks. I've not done anything much since then other than what life in general throws my way...walks to the grocery store, parks, home from work, etc. 2 plus miles or less. I swam a few laps when we were at the pool the other week. I also did prenatal yoga once a week from 15 weeks through 34 weeks (when the quarter ended). I'm 38 weeks now. Today, I jogged/walked quickly with my 2.5 year olds in a kids race at a 5/10K event.

My DH and I are both super active folks...usually training for some event that is cycling or running related. We're not hard core and don't generally win things but we are competetive and fit. I really have followed the listen to your body thing. At times, I've felt like a slug and other times, friends have worried that I'm not taking it easy enough.

I truly believe your body will guide you.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMtwins View Post.

I truly believe your body will guide you.
ITA. Another very active person here, but was too sick in the first trimester to do much of anything. By 12 weeks or so I started gentle walks again, and from then on walked a few miles daily until birth at 39 weeks. Swimming was also wonderful.

Activity was an important part of keeping me calm and healthy. What you're doing sounds great. If your body is giving you positive feedback, great. But put aside expectations of what you think you should be doing, and go with what you feel. If that's a week on the couch, that may be what's best. Your babies will let you know.

#4 ·
I was running about 40-50mpw until about 19 weeks then I suddenly ballooned up after that. For the exception of weeks ~20-24, I continued to walk/power hike 60-120 min a day until the day before I delivered. 36 weeks and 4 days

My boys were delivered via c sect and were 5.5 lbs each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.