OB or Midwife? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you use an OB or a Midwife?
OB 1 100.00%
Midwife 0 0%
Other- Please Explain 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We did IVF and transferred 2.  My first beta came back high (489 at 9dp5dt, 14dpo).  My nurse said there is a good possibility of twins.  We will confirm how many I am pregnant with at the end of November.  I have always wanted a natural birth with a midwife.  I'm thinking that might not happen if its twins.  I want the best for our baby/babies so I am willing to do whatever it take to have healthy pregnancy.

My ideal birth would be with a midwife and being monitored by a MFM (the 2 providers working together) if it is twins. 

Did anyone have a twin birth with a midwife?

Thank you (and please no flames) 

#2 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Right now we are with midwives and a MFM. We are planning a homebirth, but if baby A doesn't turn we will be using our MFM for a hospital birth.

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM

I'm using an Ob, seeking additional care from an Mfm who my Ob recommended, and a midwife is acting as my doula. (dem's are illegal here, so only a Cnm can work with an Ob, and ime cnm's don't offer me anything that my naturally minded Ob doesn't offer). Personally, I wouldn't go with just an Mfm as backup for birth, because if everything doesn't go perfectly, they are a lot less likely to be forward thinking about birthing options.

For example, if you risk out of your midwife's care because you develop hypertension and then it turns out that your baby b is breech, a Mfm is more likely to allow for a natural progression of labor than, say, an Ob who supports natural childbirth. Does that make sense?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM

It depends on where you are. Midwives here (hospital, birth center, or home) aren't allowed to do twins.

#5 of 8 Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 AM

My girls were di-di and I had a cpm and ob combo who were going to come to my house for a homebirth along with 2 extra cpms. I saw a Mfm for ultrasounds and even though they wanted me to be at the hospital they did not give me too much trouble about the choice to homebirth. Unfortunately once I got to 41 weeks my ob had to refer my care to the Mfm at the hospital and I had AROM which started labor. If I had just gone into labor naturally I would have had my homebirth.

Like others said, it depends on where you live as well as what type of twins you have. Mine were both head down and di-di so perfect for a vaginal birth. There are so many factors that you just can't predict until the end of your pregnancy but if things look good along the way I don't see why you don't try for a homebirth. Good luck!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#6 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Like Emelee, I had a CPM and an OB.  I'd call it parallel care although I didn't discuss homebirth plans with our OB.  Having different perspectives was helpful. 

Fortunately everything was fine, di-di, vertex, vertex, and our home birth was fantastic!  39 weeks on the dot.  For me anyway, homebirth was ideal.  But even with most things going smoothly (not all, they were my first), our homebirth was a direct result of having a very experienced and fantastic MW. 

MW or OB, experience counts a lot with twins.

Best wishes!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
jdc

Hello everyone,

I think it's an important question.  When I found out I was pregnant with twins at 21 weeks, I almost switched from my midwife to an OB.  I'm glad I didn't because I had a natural VBAC twin birth with my midwife delivering Baby A and my "back up" OB delivering Baby B.  Both babies vaginally and without any drugs.  I wrote about it here:

http://www.multiplerealitiesblog.com/2012/08/the-natural-vbac-twin-birth.html

As you'll see if you read the post, it wasn't an easy decision for me.  Especially because I'm an "older mom" and the twin birth was a VBAC attempt, I was nervous about not having an OB.  But in the end I had just the right birth team for me, and I hope you find the right birth team for you, too!

Good luck!

Jenn

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#8 of 8 Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM

I'm in Canada so maybe different for most people.  Might be helpful for other Canadians (Ontario specifically).  For the first half of my pregnancy I was in Ottawa and was transferred to an OB as soon as we learned I was expecting twins.  We moved to a smaller city (Guelph) to be closer to family and happened to meet a midwife.  She said at their practice they provided dual care with an OB.  Although the OB was the primary care provider we also saw our midwife.  She was present for our birth.  The twins had to be born in an hospital.  I was very happy to receive midwifery care as midwives provide (in my opinion) vastly superior post-natal care vs. OB care.  I'm not sure why there was not dual care in Ottawa, except for speculation that the practice was very busy and they perhaps thought they would better use their resources on women not also seeing an OB.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page