Gestational Diabetes Risks for Twins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I failed my 1 hour GTT. I'm trying really hard not to worry about it at all until after Monday when I take the 3 hour test because I know some women fail the one hour and then pass the three hour. I feel pretty sure that I did the best I could on trying to pass the test: I woke up at 9 am, at a ribeye and drank a bunch of water, took the sugar drink at 11, and had the blood draw at 12. It was 168.

I'm already on a pretty strict, mainly protien and leafy green diet, so Im not too concerned about having to alter my diet if I do fail the three hour test. It means no more indulgences in crappy boxed cereal, which I can deal with.

I've never had GD before, and I've been trying to look in to what the actual risks are for multiples and Im not having much luck finding good resources. Maybe it's because Im grumpy about it, maybe it's because Im hesitant to read about anything that means something might actually be wrong, but I need some help finding out what the real risks might be.

It seems like the big risk with GD is big babies, but with twins that isnt as big of a risk. I've read that controlling it with diet or insilun can lead to premature birth, but that not controlling it can lead to jaundice or high sugar levels for the babies. So, I dont really know what to think about it. Like I said, I dont want to worry so much, but I have to know some things because I still have several days between now and when I find out for sure.

TIA!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 7 Old 11-23-2012, 05:27 AM

hug2.gif Do try not to stress about it - there's such a high rate of false positives.  The Elizabeth Noble book has good info on GD.  I't's been a few weeks now since I read it, but I think she doesn't consider it a big deal if you're watching your diet well.  

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#3 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well crap. I failed the three hour test. 

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

So, huge doctor's office fail. Apparently, the nurse at the office read me someone else's chart, or something weird happened. I had an appointment at the nutrition and wellness center today, and the nurse practitioner was reading me my numbers, and they werent at all what I'd been told. I questioned the results, and let her know that it's not what I had been told, and she called the hospital and had the bloodwork resent to her office and then called my OB and had my results sent back from them too. They matched, so the person on the phone was just wrong. 

So, here are my actual numbers:

Fasting test:  63

1 hour blood draw: 183

2 hour blood draw: 161

3 hour blood draw: 62

My doctors office require that your sugar be under 180 to not have to monitor your sugar. So, I was barely over, but I still have to monitor it. Totally no where near as big of a deal as I'd originally thought. Basically, from what I understand, my OB has to have me monitor it so that she isnt required to transfer my care to the high risk MFM clinic.

On a side note, I've lost 4 lbs this week by eating very little carbs because I was scared to death I was going to pump my babies full of sugar. 

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM

wow.  I'd be super pissed.  Especially with the weight loss.  Before we knew it was twins and I was measuring a month ahead, my Mom was getting on my case about diet because she thought I might be measuring large due to early GD or something.  I wasn't eating super well because of MS, but still way better than the average American, and I was gaining weight like I was eating for three or something (LOL).  I was really pissed at her for suggesting that my diet was to blame for my measurements, and was actually thrilled to be able to say "I told you so" when we found out it was twins.  

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#6 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Im super pissed to say the least. Ive been worrying like crazy and feeling like Im starving for several days. When I go into the office on Monday, Im going to mention this to my OB. 

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 PM

daily self testing is a great thing really, i declined the test and asked for a meter from the get go and really enjoyed learning about how my blood sugar, what i ate and how a felt all interacted. i learned a lot about how what i had for a late night snack affected my mornings and a lot of other tibits.

so look at it as a learning opportunity and trust that you are eating the best you can.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page