baby shower? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
jessmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With twins, how far along were you when you had a baby shower?

 

Ours will be our first babies, and my friends are very excited to throw me a shower. I'm due May 5th and they are thinking sometime in March. Is that too late?


First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

jessmn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
jessmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really, has no one had a baby shower for twins? Or is it too specific to each individual? I can't figure out how I'll be feeling around then, and would love some experiences about when others had a baby shower for twins! Thanks!
 


First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

jessmn is offline  
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
 
Quinalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These twins are my second pregnancy, so I'm not expecting an official shower this time around, but I would say to try and have it earlier rather than later. If I had to pick a shower time this go-round, I'd probably try to have it done in the second trimester, so before 28 weeks, so maybe a month or so earlier than you are planning currently? My shower for my first baby was actually at ~18-19 weeks which worked out nicely as we didn't know the gender yet so people bought more useful stuff instead of just a shower of pink clothes smile.gif

Hopefully someone who has BTDT will reply soon, but just from the advice I've seen, I'm trying to have everything done before the 3rd trimester as a lot of folks get really tired and big and it is just easier before then.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

 

 

Quinalla is offline  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
 
eminvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

With twins, how far along were you when you had a baby shower?

 

Ours will be our first babies, and my friends are very excited to throw me a shower. I'm due May 5th and they are thinking sometime in March. Is that too late?


jessmn--I had mine at 27 weeks, which was just right for me. I started feeling really exhausted around that time, and even getting through my 2-hour shower was exhausting! But I still felt decent, got dressed up, etc. As far as getting everything truly ready, I'm now at nearly 33 weeks and have all the laundry done and everything pretty ready to go, but I have relied on my DH a ton for help...my "nesting" is more like me telling him various things to do around the house! It was recommended to me to have the shower before the 3rd trimester, and I am very happy I followed that recommendation...also just in case of bed rest or anything, it is nice to have it planned early.

eminvc is offline  
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
 
Red Pajama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: climbing a mountain of laundry
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine was at 28 weeks.  Good thing it was there for me, because I spent most of the next month in the hospital.

 

I was really hesitant to be bonded to the babies or attached-- to the point of  superstition, really.  I didn't want any shower until they were considered viable.  I would have waited longer, but my shower got lumped in with thanksgiving travel.


Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Red Pajama is offline  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
jessmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post

Hopefully someone who has BTDT will reply soon, but just from the advice I've seen, I'm trying to have everything done before the 3rd trimester as a lot of folks get really tired and big and it is just easier before then.

 

Ah, good point. I've been feeling really good right now, although it is getting tougher to move around. It's just so hard to imagine how I'll feel in the coming weeks, and then I started panicking a little bit that we were planning too close to when they're due. We have so much to do - we haven't even set up a registry or anything yet!


First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

jessmn is offline  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
jessmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminvc View Post


jessmn--I had mine at 27 weeks, which was just right for me. I started feeling really exhausted around that time, and even getting through my 2-hour shower was exhausting! But I still felt decent, got dressed up, etc. As far as getting everything truly ready, I'm now at nearly 33 weeks and have all the laundry done and everything pretty ready to go, but I have relied on my DH a ton for help...my "nesting" is more like me telling him various things to do around the house! It was recommended to me to have the shower before the 3rd trimester, and I am very happy I followed that recommendation...also just in case of bed rest or anything, it is nice to have it planned early.


Thanks, it's good to hear others are recommending similar timing! I'll have to let my friends know we may be moving it up :)

 

I feel so unprepared for all of this - we don't have anything at all for babies and our house is a wreck (remodel). I feel so sluggish about getting anything ready - and obviously procrastinating is not going to delay when they arrive! :/


First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

jessmn is offline  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
jessmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

Mine was at 28 weeks.  Good thing it was there for me, because I spent most of the next month in the hospital.

 

I was really hesitant to be bonded to the babies or attached-- to the point of  superstition, really.  I didn't want any shower until they were considered viable.  I would have waited longer, but my shower got lumped in with thanksgiving travel.


I feel a little bit like that, too. I don't want to jinx anything even though all indications is that they are doing great in there. I feel like the longer I wait, the more certain I'll be everything is fine, but at the same time I'd hate to have to cancel the shower for some reason because I wanted too long :/ I also feel like having a shower makes it "really real" (as if my giant belly isn't real enough!) and frankly I'm just terrified of what's coming.


First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

jessmn is offline  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Quinalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

I feel a little bit like that, too. I don't want to jinx anything even though all indications is that they are doing great in there. I feel like the longer I wait, the more certain I'll be everything is fine, but at the same time I'd hate to have to cancel the shower for some reason because I wanted too long :/ I also feel like having a shower makes it "really real" (as if my giant belly isn't real enough!) and frankly I'm just terrified of what's coming.
Tell me about it, I am excited, but also I really am pretty scared of those early weeks with two newborns, ugh! I'm glad my Mom will be available to help a lot and DH is prepared to do all he can too and take his full paternity leave and vacation too if needed. I know we will get through it, but it is going to be tough! And yeah, every step makes is more real, so I understand that too! I hope you are able to move your shower up some, sounds like a good plan all around, and hopefully you get some more energy too. I was feeling pretty blah (better than 1st trimester but still) until a week or so ago and I feel almost normal now, so maybe you'll get a nice energy burst too.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

 

 

Quinalla is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM
 
ilovemygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would be superstitious and nervous to have the shower before 26 weeks. With my first who was a singleton my shower was at 32 weeks. That does feel too late for the twins so this time around my family is planning for 28-30 weeks. 


mama to three little ladies
ilovemygirl is offline  
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM
 
cananny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oakland, Ca
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we had our triplet shower at 20 weeks.. i was sooo nervous it being that early.. but then it was dec and jan... bad timing for a shower plus i was going to be on bed rest sometime in Dec. 

I was able to enjoy the shower :)


Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

 

cananny is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
jessmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to update that we decided on a date for the shower: February 24th. I'll be 30 weeks exactly that day, and currently have no reason to believe I won't make it. I haven't had any worries or complications. Originally I was a little worried I'd be too tired or might be on bedrest or something and was hoping for mid-February, but I think this will work out! I'm being positive. I'm pretty excited for the party, I just saw the invitations yesterday and they're getting sent out today!
 


First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

jessmn is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
 
macrandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had one shower at 27 weeks, too. A lot of people were saying it was too early, but it was part of holiday travel, and I was relieved to have it that early. I'm 32 weeks now and my mother-in-law is still claiming she's going to have one. It's too late, lady!

macrandall is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off