Your Input for multiples Childbirth Education class - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Mamas!  I am going to be teaching Childbirth Education for expectant parents of multiples, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share with me some things that they wish someone had told them about multiple pregnancy, birth, or newborn parenting while they were pregnant?  If you are still pregnant, what would you most want to cover in such a class?

I am a mother of twins (who are about to turn 5, OMG), so I've been through it myself. I'm hoping your feedback will help me to create a well-rounded, non-fear based educational experience for parents expecting twins or more. 

#2 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 AM

I was really surprised by how much a twin pregnancy was hard on me. And how risk of pre-term delivery is real, and when told to "take it easy", the docs mean it.

I'd present nursing information with the expectation that it can be done with support. It can be, despite the funny looks people will give, or the doubt your relative may have. I'd show the things available that help make that possible: twin nursing pillows of various brands.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 PM

I am currently pregnant with twins and my biggest question is what is it going to be like between the birth of each baby?

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#4 of 12 Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi SouthernMommie!  I was hoping we'd get some more feedback in this post, but I also didn't want to let your question just hang there unaddressed. What will happen in between the babies' arrivals will depend a lot on you and your care provider, and you should absolutely ask your provider how they anticipate that in-between time will go.  Generally speaking, Baby A's cord will be clamped and cut, and hopefully Baby A will given to you right away and any assessment done on you as much as possible (check with your provider).  Your provider will check the position of the second baby.  You may get a break in contractions of a few minutes or more, and then simply push the other baby out. Your provider will check Baby B's position, though, and will probably manually reposition him/her if s/he's not head down. Then you'll push out Baby B! 

All of this, of course, is subject to your informed consent! Discuss with your provider to make sure the two of you are on the same page with everything. Ask about whether your provider will do vaginal delivery if Baby B is not head down at the start of labor, ask about manual repositioning of Baby B, ask about what they would consider reason to perform a c-section for Baby B, ask about skin-to-skin contact immediately after delivery of Baby A.  

#5 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM

Since I've had a singleton vaginal birth, the things I want to know most is how my twin birth will be different. This obviously varies by providers as you've said, but there are also hospital policies involved and so on. I know most of this already from reading and talking to my provider now, but that is what I would want covered. And for those whose multiple birth was the first, I think you do the class and teach how childbirth works start to finish and then point out where things may be different as that's still valuable to know even if you haven't BTDT.

And yeah that advice to take it easy and listen to you body is even more important in a multiple pregnancy, at least that has been my experience too. Maybe touch on nutrition too as correct nutrition advice for multiple pregnancy is woefully lacking in anything except a few books, my OB and MFM have been zero help on that so good thing I did my own research!

Oh, also maybe how the provider checkups might differ too from a typical pregnancy. Going over what to expect at a NST, etc. and obviously covering preterm labor symptoms since that is one of the biggest things to watch for.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#6 of 12 Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm definitely planning to emphasize nutritional guidelines, since that's really foreign territory to so many OBs and MFMs.  Preterm labor signs and symptoms will be covered in the first class, for sure. And I've sent a survey around to various midwives and OBs in the area to get some feedback on how they typically manage multiple pregnancies, so I'll have that info handy for my students.  Thank you for this input!

#7 of 12 Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM

I think for me, especially as a first time mom, I would want info that is helpful, reassuring, and realistic but not scary. I tend to get freaked out and overanalyze anything my OB says about pre-term labor signs or pre-eclampsia signs, etc. Especially if you've never had a baby before, and every twinge or pressure makes you wonder. I don't know HOW to make those less scary, but that's just been my experience so far.

How are labor and birthing options different when expecting multiples? What happens if we start out with A head down and B breech, but hope for the best for B to flip after A is out, and he doesn't...what happens then? What are the options, how quickly will things happen, etc. Is there added pressure to do an epidural, etc, with twins, and what are the pros and cons when you're expecting multiples? If you give birth in the OR, do you get to labor however you want like you would in another room (bars and tub, etc). Will there be added medical staff in the room? (Obviously we haven't gotten to the point where we'll ask these questions, so they are weighing heavily on my mind right now!)

Nutrition, definitely. My OB was trying to tell me Americans eat too much and I should stick to a 2,000 calorie a day diet...

What to expect as the months progress and any tips to make life easier...like getting tired sooner, getting out of breath, common physical complaints.

I wish there was a multiples childbirth class near me. We've hired a doula and I am already feeling better because of her experience with twins.

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

#8 of 12 Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi JessMN!  Thanks so much for your input!  By the way, my friend in Seattle strongly recommended the multiples class given at UW: http://www.uwmedicine.org/patient-care/our-services/medical-services/obstetrics/patient-education/pages/classes.aspx

I'm glad you've hired a doula smile.gif

#9 of 12 Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryEllen View Post

Hi JessMN!  Thanks so much for your input!  By the way, my friend in Seattle strongly recommended the multiples class given at UW: http://www.uwmedicine.org/patient-care/our-services/medical-services/obstetrics/patient-education/pages/classes.aspx

I'm glad you've hired a doula smile.gif

wow, thanks! I had no idea about this class!

#10 of 12 Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Let me know what you think of it if you end up taking it! :-)  

Did you get my PM about OBs in your area, by the way?

#11 of 12 Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryEllen View Post

Let me know what you think of it if you end up taking it! :-)  

Did you get my PM about OBs in your area, by the way?

I did, thanks! Sometimes I think the website isn't working because about half the time it won't send my replies to people, so I just give up :)

I did end up switching, now I am at the Pavilion for Women and Children in Everett. I wish we could do UW, but it's quite far from our house, which makes me super nervous! I'm happier at the Pavilion, although still not 100% about the OB. The perinatal OB we have I really like, but she doesn't deliver babies there (she does at the UW, though!). I'm going to make my next appt with a different OB so I can try different ones at the office out and see if I find someone I really like.

#12 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent - you're taking such good care of yourself and your babies!  All that research and questioning can be exhausting and stressful, I know. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page