Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Parenting Multiples (http://www.mothering.com/forum/158-parenting-multiples/)
-   -   breast pump suggestions (http://www.mothering.com/forum/158-parenting-multiples/1372926-breast-pump-suggestions.html)

jessmn 01-22-2013 08:37 PM

Any recommendations for breast pumps? A friend told me to look for a hospital grade pump, but that I need to ask specifically for a certain brand and model when I call my insurance company, and not just "hospital grade". My doctor just told me to wait until I deliver and then ask the lactation consultant...but I would really rather get it out of the way earlier!

Quinalla 01-23-2013 08:29 AM

Jess, I did use the hospital grade pump for a few days that is made by Ameda since I used an Ameda Purely Yours last time so I already had the tubing/horns/etc. to hook up with (I burned my motor out so Ameda covered the rental for me while they were mailing me a new pump). It worked great and I've heard good things about the Medela one as well. I'm not sure if they are branded Ameda/Medela or not, but the hospital knew what I was talking about when I rented. You could call the hospital where you are planning to rent and just ask them for advice. One nice thing about Medela is it is easier to get replacement pieces for your side of things at most stores, Ameda stuff is not as readily available even though I really liked the pump. Something to consider if a tube/membrane/whatever gets a tear and you need a new one right now! I highly recommend having backups on hand, but it is always nice to know you can get them most anywhere if you need them.

Quinalla 01-23-2013 08:30 AM

Oh, and check if you insurance will cover all or some of the cost, most US insurances now are required to provide something.

mylilmonkeys 01-23-2013 11:01 AM

If you qualify for WIC, you may be able to get one through your WIC office.  Mine gave me the Ameda Purely Yours one.  Check into it.

jessmn 01-23-2013 11:01 AM

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Yeah, a friend told me that Obamacare requires approval of a breast pump, although not necessarily the hospital grade one. I am sure I can get my doctor to write me a note for one, though!

withlittlelungs 01-26-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Yeah, a friend told me that Obamacare requires approval of a breast pump, although not necessarily the hospital grade one. I am sure I can get my doctor to write me a note for one, though!

Definitely check with your insurance. Mine said they would only cover a manual pump.

Adaline'sMama 01-27-2013 07:08 PM

I used an Admena for the first few days, and I really didnt like it. Given, I was trying to pump colustrum, and it was hard. Then, I rented a Medela Symphony (which Im using now to EP for the twins). I had to start my supply with the pump,and pretty much keep it up with the pump. I really like it. Just remember, the biggest thing about a pump is making sure that you have the right sized flanges. 

13pumpkins 02-02-2013 03:14 PM

I got my Lactina on eBay.  Worth every penny.

baileyandmikey 02-12-2013 06:43 PM

My insurance paid for a Pump in Style.... WIC gave me a Lactina.... which makes life so much easier!