breast pump suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any recommendations for breast pumps? A friend told me to look for a hospital grade pump, but that I need to ask specifically for a certain brand and model when I call my insurance company, and not just "hospital grade". My doctor just told me to wait until I deliver and then ask the lactation consultant...but I would really rather get it out of the way earlier!

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Jess, I did use the hospital grade pump for a few days that is made by Ameda since I used an Ameda Purely Yours last time so I already had the tubing/horns/etc. to hook up with (I burned my motor out so Ameda covered the rental for me while they were mailing me a new pump). It worked great and I've heard good things about the Medela one as well. I'm not sure if they are branded Ameda/Medela or not, but the hospital knew what I was talking about when I rented. You could call the hospital where you are planning to rent and just ask them for advice. One nice thing about Medela is it is easier to get replacement pieces for your side of things at most stores, Ameda stuff is not as readily available even though I really liked the pump. Something to consider if a tube/membrane/whatever gets a tear and you need a new one right now! I highly recommend having backups on hand, but it is always nice to know you can get them most anywhere if you need them.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM

Oh, and check if you insurance will cover all or some of the cost, most US insurances now are required to provide something.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM

If you qualify for WIC, you may be able to get one through your WIC office.  Mine gave me the Ameda Purely Yours one.  Check into it.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#5 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Yeah, a friend told me that Obamacare requires approval of a breast pump, although not necessarily the hospital grade one. I am sure I can get my doctor to write me a note for one, though!

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

#6 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Yeah, a friend told me that Obamacare requires approval of a breast pump, although not necessarily the hospital grade one. I am sure I can get my doctor to write me a note for one, though!

Definitely check with your insurance. Mine said they would only cover a manual pump.

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM

I used an Admena for the first few days, and I really didnt like it. Given, I was trying to pump colustrum, and it was hard. Then, I rented a Medela Symphony (which Im using now to EP for the twins). I had to start my supply with the pump,and pretty much keep it up with the pump. I really like it. Just remember, the biggest thing about a pump is making sure that you have the right sized flanges. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM

I got my Lactina on eBay.  Worth every penny.

Mama to five, not 13.  I just like pumpkins and thought that number would not be taken.

#9 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM

My insurance paid for a Pump in Style.... WIC gave me a Lactina.... which makes life so much easier!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page